Unmasking Authenticity: Balancing Persona and Self Identity | Teen Ink

Unmasking Authenticity: Balancing Persona and Self Identity

By Talos3231 BRONZE, Denver, Indiana
Talos3231 BRONZE, Denver, Indiana

Unmasking Authenticity: Balancing Persona and Self-Identity

A “mask” has a handful of meanings. You have its more literal meaning, being a facial covering used to disguise oneself or prevent the transmission of disease. However, you also have a more metaphorical definition. A mask can represent an alternate personality that individuals adopt during their social interactions. A separate persona could be used for various reasons. They may use them to establish relationships with people who possess differing beliefs or maybe make connections with people who they feel don’t match their true selves. In my personal experience, I have found myself relying on these masks and confronting the issues and struggles when using them.

By wearing a mask, I am in no danger of upsetting those who I care about. Being able to change my entire personality on the fly to align with the beliefs of others is extremely advantageous in keeping my relationship with them. It ensures that no matter who said individual is, I can be there for them and be a reliable friend to count on. My masks’ versatility also allows me to relate to individuals with various backgrounds and beliefs effortlessly. Using multiple personas allows me to seamlessly adjust and more importantly, belong to any social group. The talent of fitting in and finding a connection with a variety of individuals helps me find certain groups of people that I share more things in common with than others. Furthermore, masks offer me a feeling of safety. Never having to worry about how others think of me when I know exactly what behaviors and traits I express while in their presence.

However, I must admit that relying on maks and my many personas isn’t exactly a healthy habit to form. I find myself emotionally exhausted from the constant switching between my personalities and maintaining them. More versions of yourself come with even more expectations from others. I start to feel disconnected from my true self and the mask starts to form a barrier between my genuine expression and my need to conform. It's a constant juggling act and each person you meet is another ball thrown into the air. The maintenance of multiple personas leads to a sense of isolation. Eventually, no one will know or remember the true you and after years of people-pleasing and false smiles you also start to lose the true you and your own sense of identity. The masks become so ingrained in your life that you truly question who you are underneath it all as it becomes more and more difficult to differentiate between the masks you wear and your authentic self, blurring the lines between reality and facade.

In order to break free from the confines of these masks, it is important to recognize the value of self-honesty. Embracing your true self allows for genuine connections to be formed, where others can accept and appreciate who you truly are. This change might seem daunting. I will admit, it's challenging to let go of the safety nets that masks provide. But, by doing so you open up possibilities of meaningful relationships that are built on nothing but the true you. Self-reflection and introspection are key in this process. Having supportive individuals around you to support and encourage your genuine self is crucial. Look for connections where you can express your vulnerabilities and struggles without feeling judged. Your mental and personal growth can both benefit from these connections, which provide a great foundation for self-discovery. 

In conclusion, adopting different personas may appear beneficial initially to make friends and maintain relationships but consistent reliance on these masks may bring about emotional detachment from one’s genuine nature. It is crucial to always embrace the true you and strive to improve yourself in day to day life. You will find people who love the person you truly are. So take your mask off. Because no matter who you pretend to be, there will only be one of you.