How about those neglected groups in our society? Where are they going? What is their future? | Teen Ink

How about those neglected groups in our society? Where are they going? What is their future?

May 18, 2023
By Amber_Chen BRONZE, Nanjing, Other
Amber_Chen BRONZE, Nanjing, Other
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I once visited a school for deaf-mutes. It happened several years ago, but the memory stays fresh in my mind. A great number of the deaf-mute children were orphans or kids abandoned, so the school was also a shelter for them. As one living in a big city and getting good care since birth, I was astonished when I stepped into the school. There was not enough money for all the children and the workers to live comfortably. They didn’t get nutritive meals, warm rooms or suitable clothes. Some of the kids looked into our eyes, alerting, with shabby dolls in their hand tightly. For a week, I came to visited them every day, learning sign language, playing games with them, describing the life in the city with paintings and handing them new and advanced toys. Their eyes, which were filled with distrust in the beginning, gradually were full of joy and expectation. I wasn’t used to that environment, but the kindness and love from those children really touched the softest place in my heart.

When I was in Grade 8, I began to read novels about LGBTQ. Finding myself as a member of this group, I felt lamentable while reading episodes when the characters were facing incredibly huge malignity from the society. I am always wondering why our society cannot give them a slightest piece of kindness. Your family keeps blaming on you; your friends keep a distance from you; even a stranger has confidence to be overcritical on you, just because you fall in love with a boy as a boy or with a girl as a girl. I also read on feminism shallowly, and also feel the unfairness towards female right now in our society.

Then I found myself always paying attention to the disadvantaged groups and the minorities. Their voice is neglected by most people. They do not gain the right they should acquire. They are blamed by the whole society for their points different with the so-said “normal people”. But these situations are not the one we hope to see. We chase for fairness and warmness, so we have to do something to change. This is my dream, and I am trying my best to realize it.

As a senior high student, I don’t have the ability to do any great thing. But I am trying. Beginning with donating my pocket money to those disabled, I joined discussion groups standing for LGBTQ. I commented and gave advice under those updates stating distorted views of equality, and shared those videos claiming for real kindness and fair attitude on social media. I believe, if more people see and hear these views, then more attention can be gained, the more we can do for the minorities and disadvantaged groups.