Stereotypes | Teen Ink

Stereotypes

By rokie101 GOLD, San Antonio, Texas
rokie101 GOLD, San Antonio, Texas

Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it.
-Robert Frost-

Stereotypes are fictional categories in which we teens live in. It is how we determine who a person is by the way they look on the outside. How did this all start? People become friends based on the way their hair is or the way they dress. If you wear a cheerleader outfit that automatically makes you a backstabbing sl*t. If you’re on the football team it automatically makes you a stupid slacker. If your smart and care about your grades it makes you a nerd. But what if you just like to cheer? What if you just like football, and are actually smart? And what if you are smart, and pretty cool? NO ONE SEEMS TO CARE. In the teen world there are a set of rules that for some strange reason most seem to follow. 1. Preps/Jocks never talk to anyone other then other preps/jocks. 2. Nerds cannot try to be cool and fit in. 3. You must fear emo/punk kids and stay out of their way. 4. If you’re in band you’re a geek.
There are many more rules but these are some of the basics. Why can’t we all just be friends? Why can’t teen world be at peace? Why do we judge people based on looks rather then what’s on the inside?
Me, I am friends with all. Some don’t approve of my mixing the cliques. But those people, I don’t care what they think. I will not stop until stereotyping is done. Labels are for soup cans, not people.
A/N: sorry if this offended anyone, but its my opinion so deal.

Striker GOLD said...
Striker GOLD, Wichita, Kansas

"Life is too short to wake up with regrets. So love the people who care about you and forget about those who don't."

I totally agree. I especially like the line "labels are for soup cans, not people"

Zaner_Black said...
This isnt the 50's with greasers and jocks....The high school social network is much more advanced these days. No one is a 'pure breed' anymore. Steriotyping is slowly dyeing a painful aginizing death. Emo kids are hanging out with jocks and nerds are dating cheerleadings.

on Jul. 11 2009 at 12:50 am
pinksage33 BRONZE, Woodstock, New York
Very nice. i agree.

potterlight PLATINUM, Cleveland, Ohio

That makes sense

I totally agree with you! Embrace all different grpoups. That brings more diversity.

Sunshineyday said...
AGREED. I don't feel I fit in to any clique, I am a clique all my own. I am not a talented enough actor to fit into a "personality type". I'll remain forever in the clique called "undefined".