What The Flag Means To Me | Teen Ink

What The Flag Means To Me

November 4, 2022
By BozoBoi GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
BozoBoi GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments


Sunshine beaming down, spectators and players standing alike, gaze fixated on the winding folds of the flag shifting in the wind. The star-spangled banner flowing out of the vocal cords of thousands as everyone comes together to honor tradition. 


The flag, 50 great stars surrounded in an ocean of blue, accompanied by 13 red and white stripes from the founding colonies. A flag bearer running into the battlefield staking his claim on the land as he plunges the flagpole into the earth. Bullets raining around him, fog clouding his vision, other soldiers grouped around him – supporting and lifting the burden of being alone. As the fog began to lift you could start to see what the flag stands for.


Determination of a young soldier flying into battle. The strength of a wounded soldier fighting to his last breath. The perseverance of the last line of defense as the enemy is closing in. That’s part of what the flag stands for – bravery. The bravery to stare an enemy is the face and not back down. 


When I see the flag I flashback to my family. From my dad and grandpa who have stood up for this country and its tradition. Through disastrous events like the attack of 9/11, pearl harbor, and the creation of this country we can see how we built the tradition. The flag represents our past and how we honor the tradition of never giving up.