Protecting Immigrant Children | Teen Ink

Protecting Immigrant Children

May 31, 2022
By rishi_parikh BRONZE, Morris Plains, New Jersey
rishi_parikh BRONZE, Morris Plains, New Jersey
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts."


When immigrants are asked, “Why did you come to the United States?”, a common response is along the lines of “improving their children’s lives”. Many immigrants come to the United States of America with their families carrying this same hope. Families migrate to this country for their protection, education, and increased freedoms. Some children left without legal guardians, are left in such a horrible situation as lacking support from an elder leaves young children on their own. Immigrants support and enhance the ideals that make America the country it is, rather than presenting a danger to this country's democracy. However, some administrations are attempting to prevent or minimize the amount of immigrants entering the U.S.A. The lives of so many suffering inhabitants not legally admitted into this country would be ruined, especially being children. Without this country to rely on for their needs, being stuck in their problematic homeland would be detrimental toward their mental, physical, and emotional state. Strengthening protections for immigrant children is in the best interests of the child and the nation for the reasons that many young successful lives will be created and the economy will prosper.

First and foremost, reinforcing the protections for immigrant children can help to save and mend their lives. Immigrant children encounter improbable challenges with mental, physical, and emotional health. The very humanity of real immigrant children with real complicated feelings and thoughts is being disregarded. As these children go on to share their stories with the world, the effects of these traumatic events will be felt for centuries. According to the article, “70 Organizations Protest Texas Order That Endangers Immigrant Children” written by Targeted News Service, Governor Greg Abbott has been encouraged by seventy organizations from across the country to rescind a proclamation that puts the health and well-being of thousands of immigrant children in jeopardy. For many individuals who have experienced “great trauma as unaccompanied children, trauma-informed care is the most effective way to meet their medical, emotional, and cultural needs” (Kaplan qtd. in TNSPol). Using the trauma-informed care method, organizations can allow these unaccompanied and distressed immigrant children to achieve a state of well-being. Lacking the administrations necessary for guaranteeing their welfare would cause a myriad of immigrants worldwide to suffer in all the aspects of health. In the text, “Immigrant Children Need Our Help Now”, written by Malori Musselman, the separation of immigrant children from their families should not be tolerated in the United States. Musselman asserts that “If Americans care at all about the sanctity of life or about the children-as-our-future as they so purport, they cannot allow for the forcible division of families. Children must not be pried from the embrace of their loved ones only to be put in camps or cages” (Musselman). Isolating a child from their family is heartbreaking and iniquitous, and can cause severe mental health issues toward them in the future. At that point, offering support is not an option as it should be required to provide assistance to individuals in that situation. Through the evidence above, the fact that lives can be restored with the strengthening of protections on immigrant children is justified.

Moreover, bolstering the support for immigrant children will allow the economy to flourish. A large portion of the society believes the opposite of this valid reason, but evidence can be presented to confirm this claim. As stated in “Grant 'Dreamers' Legal Certainty”, by Matt Shay, “Dreamers are about 2 million young people who have lived the majority of their lives here in the United States, and they're contributing to our communities and our economy every day.” Dreamers are immigrants, and though they are not legally citizens of the United States, they are most definitely people of America. There are over a million “of these hardworking young people who bring their talents, skills and work ethic to growing the economy and driving innovation every day.  They are valued team members whose contributions allow us to compete on a global basis, and many Dreamers are themselves entrepreneurs who have created American jobs for their communities” (Shay). Dreamers have been making a difference in the economic world, developing companies that have changed the country significantly. And without them, it will ruin “our country's economic growth and job creation, while forcing these young workers to live in fear that they might be separated from their families and loved ones” (Shay). As indicated by the preceding evidence, strengthening the protections for immigrant children will only cause the economy to thrive.


Improving the aid for immigrant children is in the best interests of the child and the nation. Despite the fact that some people believe efforts would be better placed in addressing the factors driving child migration and strengthening deterrence strategies, the evidence above proves otherwise. A common argument used against strengthening the protection of immigrants is the fact that they supposedly lower the wages of native workers significantly, which can be rebutted as it has a very small or no impact on the wage amount. Reducing protections for immigrant children will decrease productivity, along with the economy dwindling due to a smaller labor force.


Works Cited


Shay, Matt. “Grant 'Dreamers' Legal Certainty.” SIRS Issues Researcher, 9 Mar. 2021, 

explore.proquest.com/sirsissuesresearcher/document/2625071738?accountid=68117. 

“70 Organizations Protest Texas Order That Endangers Immigrant Children.” SIRS Issues 

Researcher, 31 Aug. 2021, 

explore.proquest.com/sirsissuesresearcher/document/2576712158?accountid=68117. 

Musselman, Malori. “Immigrant Children Need Our Help Now.” SIRS Issues Researcher, 10 

July 2019, 

explore.proquest.com/sirsissuesresearcher/document/2305635104?searchid=165393890&accountid=68117.


The author's comments:

This assignment for my 8th Grade Advanced English class. It was so interesting learning about the different arguments on the topic, along with the research involved with developing this piece.