Fight or Flight | Teen Ink

Fight or Flight

By John Gardner BRONZE, Los Angeles, California
John Gardner BRONZE, Los Angeles, California

With Americans living in fear of what the media tends to say on television, but not necessarily of the situation, but how it is portrayed, documentary film makers always take time out of there busy schedule to expand the horizon of individual thinking. Michael Moore wanted to express how Americans should deal with fear; more bullet control inside of the United States would limit the amount of deaths. Although we live in a generation where people we may know rely on the input of the media for any sort of information, it seems as though anytime the news is on, there is always a situation that drives the public into thinking they need protection at all costs.

In America the media is a major influence to the public, it seems as if one must turn on the television to get information, as though the individual that is paid to make you be afraid is your friend! Michael Moore did a lot of research in his documentary Bowling for Columbine, and he came to a halt in realizing why in America, we have higher death rates than any other country in the world? Is it because of America’s history of violence? Were not we the ones who created the idea of isolationism?

Michael Moore took his crew too many of countries and analyzed most of the foreign policies that related to America in one way or another. Moore found it as though bullets for any handheld machinery can be bought from practically anywhere guns were sold. With further research he found that ammunition was sold at one of the most convenient stores an individual can go to K-Mart. It was documented that in the country of Canada there are seven million guns in homes of ten million people. It goes to the question of why are there only 165 deaths per year, rather than 11,127 like the suspicious neighbor next door the United States.

When children are able to obtain guns in America, it means that there was either a gun left unsupervised, or someone had a gun who was not supposed to have one. In America we as a democratic government have influenced and or persuaded our leaders to make laws against deadly weapons. You have to be a certain age to hold, or obtain guns in the U.S., in which we beg to differ for the silent but deadly Canada, where there are guns twenty-four seven.

This piece has to do with gun control in the United States, based off of the documentary Bowling for Columbine

NatalieB. GOLD said...
on Dec. 31 2009 at 11:57 am
NatalieB. GOLD, Loudon, Virginia

Make your own lines, and color outside of them.

I know this isn't important to the article, but does the death rate in America compared to the death rate in in Canada have anything to do with fire-arms permits???