Traditional Culture | Teen Ink

Traditional Culture

By Qangela__yan BRONZE, Guangzhou, Other
Qangela__yan BRONZE, Guangzhou, Other

Growing up in China, a country with a long history, traditional culture plays an important role and becomes an indispensable part of our spirit. With the rapid development, the way we present our culture and civilization has inevitably undergone great changes.
The most important festival in Chinese culture is the Spring Festival. The Spring Festival is the festival of sending off the old and ushering in the new. It is also the biggest festival of the year in China, thus, there are a lot of complicated preparations for such an important day. People will spend weeks preparing for the New Year's Eve dinner, and every corner of their home is filled with the spirit of the New Year. Every window is decorated with elaborate paper-cuts. At this time, what we think that the extremely complicated spring clean up will become insignificant. While the older generation strictly observe the custom of wearing red clothes while staying up late to watch the Spring Festival Gala on New Year's Eve, the younger generation seems more interested in setting off firecrackers, fireworks and playing video games all night. With the development of urbanization, rules against setting off fireworks and crackers in the city have also influenced the interest of the younger generation. People weren’t comparing the photos of sending out fireworks on social networking platforms, after all, more than a decade ago.
In addition to some cultural education, the education of the previous generation is more Confucian. Take me as an example. Since I was a child, my grandparents have told me to be filial, to be aspirant, to strive for, to be credible. The ideas of kindness, righteousness, propriety, wisdom and trust have had a profound impact on the Chinese people in all aspects. From a certain perspective, these ideas form the unique characteristics and culture of China. But now all kinds of information are transmitted to different parts of the world through the Internet, leading to many traditional families in such cultural conflict. The new generation is more likely to accept and understand the new information, while the older generation is more likely to get stuck in the culture and understanding they received before,  which invokes the conflict of acceptance for this new information. For example, now WeChat’s online red envelope is not a real red envelope in the thoughts of many older generations, but for young people, it is very common to send online red envelope. At the same time, recently, many celebrities‘s  cut Chinese cheongsam and turned it into a new dress. However, it will be more accurate if we say the designer is taking traditional Chinese elements in to the new dress or fashions.
The most original traditional culture is not completely changed with the times, and sometimes it is only presented as an element in new ideas. With the change of times and the development of technology, no country can keep its culture unchanged all the time. It is essential to accept and integrate into other cultures.

Chinese New Year and new fashion…..