MAN-made World for Women | Teen Ink

MAN-made World for Women

February 22, 2022
By mondormia BRONZE, Gatineau, Quebec
mondormia BRONZE, Gatineau, Quebec
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

As history shows, predominantly cis-gendered men have created almost everything we have on Earth, to this day.  
They have created technology we use every day like cellphones by Martin Cooper and televisions by Philo Farnsworth, literature like Shakespear and Charles Dickens, and more.  
On an average day in a woman's life, one would wake up and get ready. Now, for a man that means putting on an expensive suit or jeans and a t-shirt and wiping their face with a month-old cloth that sits on the musty bathroom counter they never think to clean. 
But for a woman, she wakes up, puts on clothes made “appropriate” by men, then she will proceed to apply makeup that had been advertised to benefit her dating life, smoothing the natural process of aging, and making her more presentable for a man.  
She will then go by her day, attempting to survive the high testosteronal work environment, doing more work and getting paid significantly less, as advised by a man. Often, she will see ads for makeup, skincare, and age-reducing procedures throughout her painful workday. 
Women have been told for centuries the way they should dress, look, and act by men. It’s a fact. 
                             
 
 
                                          aloftyexistence.wordpress.com/2011/09/20/most-common-prejudices/ 
My girlfriends and I often go into local shopping malls only to find jeans advertised as slimming; shirts advertised as conservative, and even food designed to be ingested by women to lose the weight that hugs them and keeps their sacred internal organs safe.  
All these products and ads that are targeted for women who do not fit the body and beauty standard told to them by men, make women and young girls feel they are not enough, or that they are too much. 
I was having a conversation with my mother about prom. All went well until she told me I should wear a certain type of underwear to “suck in” my stomach.  
Although it was no fault of herself, my mother told me that I should hide the curves I was born to have. 
I pondered that conversation throughout the day. The thought that my beautiful mother feels like, as a woman, our stomach should be sucked in and tucked away under a large poofy gown designed to commemorate the past five years of my teenage life, unsettled me beyond my core. 
The standard of slim and a flat stomach but with a large bust and round buttock has been made very clear by men and boys throughout a woman's life.  
                     
                                          feminisminindia.com/2018/12/18/beauty-standards-harming-women/ 
My friends and I have had countless interactions with fragile teenage boys about how our body isn't what they wanted, blaming us for our figures and degrading us for how we look. 
Teenage boys that are not satisfied with the unrealistic vision of a woman's body that is globally unattainable, once again, reflects the expectation a man has about the woman nature.  
Whether these expectations from men and boys are results of toxic masculinity or results of internal insecurities is unclear, the effects of this are impactful.  
Centuries ago, women were told to wear corsets that tightened their torso to deadly lengths to slim their frame and accentuate the breasts and buttock area, whilst trying to be “modest”.  
Modesty is an oh-so-familiar term for women. 
Modesty, sometimes known as demureness, is a mode of dress and deportment which intends to avoid the encouraging of sexual attraction in others. Intended to avoid the attraction a man has towards a woman, as men are too weak to control it themselves. 
Women and young girls get blamed and targeted for how they dress. Wearing cropped tank tops and shorts in the hot summer heat leads to dress code violations in school or the workplace for being “inappropriate”. 
The double standard is real. Men are promoted and encouraged to wear things women wouldn’t even dare to put on.  
Along with the inequality in seasonal comfort, comes manners. 
Sitting at the dinner table with my parents and other members of my basic family widened my view of expectations men have for women. Sitting across from my mother is my father, sitting in the chair he claimed was his.  
The men always have a seat, regardless of if their age. Legs spread open as they get served the hot delicious meal the women made. Knife in one hand, fork in the other, and food smeared all over their face like they’ve never eaten before. 
Women on the other hand have been taught for centuries to keep knees pressed together, napkin in lap, proper ways of holding utensils, and more. “Be more ladylike”, they say as if we didn’t just devote our whole day for them to complain about the meal they have before them. 
The issue of unrealistic body, beauty, and living standards of women start with men, develop with men, and end with men.  
  
 
 


The author's comments:

This piece was originally written for a school assignment but quickly became a hot topic in my life. Not only is there injustice between men and women, but we as people are not doing anything to come to the terms of the worlds actions.