Scapegoat | Teen Ink

Scapegoat

People have used music as a scapegoat for years, but now it’s getting out of hand. Too many people have been thrown in jail just because of the music they listen to. Too many bands have been blamed for crimes committed. I can’t tell you how many news stories I’ve read that had pointed out from the start what music the person listened to. They’re usually written like this:

“Police so far have been at a loss to find a motive for the bizarre killing, but investigators are looking into claims that one of the suspects, Shaw, is part of a group known as the Juggalos – fans of the Detroit-based rap/hip-hop group Insane Clown Posse, the ABC said…”

That is taken word for word from a story I had read a while back ago. Since when has music become so influential on somebody’s actions? If they murdered somebody, I kind of think they were crazy to begin with. If music was the cause of crime, there would be a lot more of it. Everybody would be in prison.

Nobody stops to think that somebody’s home life and upbringing influence somebody more than the music they listen to. Instead of investigating that, police just go to their MySpace pages and skip directly to the music section. I bet if their music taste consisted of Country, they’d go to the parents and friends to investigate. But no, it’s the same every time, “They listen to ICP, so that must be why!” or, “Marilyn Manson’s their favorite, he’s to blame!”

There were rumors that Manson was blamed for the Columbine shooting. I’m sure just because of who he is and what he does, he was moved to the top of the list.

Police just want somebody to blame other than the parents or home life because it makes their job easier. Look, lyrics are lyrics. If somebody older than eight years old can’t tell the difference between right and wrong, then they’re probably a little crazy to begin with. If somebody thinks that violent lyrics means “Oh, well, they’re singing it, so it must be okay to do it” and they actually do it, they need help. Music is not to blame! Upbringing, drugs, personal problems, mental disorder, “the devil made me do it” excuse (don’t really use that!) are more likely reasons than music. Quit looking for the easy way out.