If I Was The Mayor Of My Town | Teen Ink

If I Was The Mayor Of My Town

By Uncanny_Kat BRONZE, Puyallup, Washington
Uncanny_Kat BRONZE, Puyallup, Washington

“A girl should be two things: who and what she wants.” – Coco Chanel

I should begin by introducing myself, my name is Isabella Velasquez and if I had the opportunity to become mayor of my town there are many changes I would make.

Let’s begin with a little bit about myself, I’ve lived in Puyallup, Washington for most of my life. I have three younger siblings as well as five cats, me and my ten year old brother, Isaac, both suffer from a disorder known as ADHD. 

That leads me into the first topic I want to discuss, mental illness awareness. Many people don’t realize how much of an issue this is, parents often blame themselves or they ignore the issue completely. I understand the numbness people who hurt themselves or others go through, and it isn’t their fault.

Imagine a world where everyone understood each other and got along in perfect harmony, yea, that’s never ever going to happen. When imagining a dream you’ve got to put a realistic truth on it. So, take five percent of that dream, even if only five percent of people can open their eyes to the problem of mental illness, Puyallup would become five percent better than before.