The Sky Over Philadelphia | Teen Ink

The Sky Over Philadelphia

By SuperMaple SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
SuperMaple SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

What did the sky look like over Philadelphia in 1776? Was it blue like the eyes of a baby, or grey with a dewey morning fog? Could you hear the slow dribbling of warm rain in the streets? Did cotton-candy clouds swirl through the air, or did they sit, stagnant, hanging still around Independence Hall with the anticipation of the day?

That time seems like a world away, but those who saw the sky on the first Fourth were not part of a different population. They did not celebrate a different culture. They saw the same sky we see, and hoisted the same colors in the morning light. We are not of distinct societies, but generations of the same people —  a people which was born in 1776 by freedom. 

In 1776, we spoke for the first time with one joined voice. Our bold declaration of self-government sparked a fire of democracy which continues to burn today. Many take this fire for granted, for our current power can seem like a hollow duty. But, as we age as as a people, we must continue to be in awe of our own ability to effect change. We must not forget the power of our actions, especially in November. Before we vote, we must always imagine that day in Philadelphia.

Before I vote, I’ll look up at the sky. I’ll imagine the passion and patriotism of the fifty-five men at Independence Hall, and the ways in which their actions freed a people to democracy. I’ll imagine the heart-pounding excitement of hearing the news for the first time, and the joy of a toast between brothers. I’ll imagine the thrill of choice, of casting the first piece of paper into a freshly-built box. I’ll imagine the sky over Philadelphia — the same sky under which I will walk on my way to the local school one day. As I feel the same sun on my face, I will share in my forefathers' joy as I embrace in our freedom to choose.