A Wilted Poppy | Teen Ink

A Wilted Poppy

October 28, 2019
By ahswriter02 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
ahswriter02 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

As the lights flicker, students hear the light, single footsteps of the intruders getting closer and closer. The door squeaks open. Students from pre-K to juniors, shake and sob as the sounds rang beneath their breath. With the shades of the windows closed, the students see the reflecting glare of the poppy out of the corner of their eyes. 


Peering through the window, a woman opens her new paycheck. Tears shed from her eyes as she looks over at her children playing a board game in their bedroom. Glancing back at her paycheck, she finds her poppy tucked away deep in her pocket. 


Walking down the street with her three children, a mother hears racial slurs called at each and every one of them. The mother suddenly covers her childrens’ ears as tears run down their faces. As they continue walking, the children come to a stop, observing the fallen poppy on the hot asphalt. 


Sitting at the kitchen table, a former college student stares down at her bills. She shivers at the thought of every penny she still owes. Searching item among item, she looks for any extra money. No luck. A poppy hiding underneath the couch cushion is all she could find.


Walking through the market, partners stroll hand in hand. People pass, giving nasty glares and unnecessary comments. Parents disapproving and poppy flowers pinned to their colorful shirts, they live on their life looking for somewhere new to live. 


The red wilted poppy symbolizes the blooming of change. It represents not just one person’s voice, but all of our voices; together.


The author's comments:

This piece is about the importance of voting. Voting is important because it has a huge impact on what and how were changing as a society.