Why is the Second Amendment Important? | Teen Ink

Why is the Second Amendment Important?

The 2nd amendment is the right to bear arms. It was established in December 1791. The amendment says that, “a well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” This means that everyone has the right to own guns but within reason, for example someone with an extensive criminal history and is known for getting in trouble can’t buy a gun, but a law abiding person with no criminal record can get a gun.

Abolishing the 2nd amendment would have many more negatives than positives. Abolishing the 2nd would bring us closer to a totalitarian state, which is similar to Adolf Hitler and Nazi Germany, The Soviet Union under Joseph Stalin, or the People's republic of China and Kim Dynasty. Totalitarianism is a system of government that is completely dictatorial and centralized and requires complete subservience to the state. Another major reason people think banning guns or specifically semi-automatic “assault” rifles will have a positive impact but in reality people are the problem. When a shooting happens a big majority of them it is either an extremely mentally ill person or a terrorist attack.

People want to abolish the 2nd amendment or specifically “assault” rifles, because they say that guns are the problem or that guns kill people. Guns don't kill people nor are they a big problem, however I do think there should be some changes in regulations such as more extensive background checks. Even with some added checks and security when buying a gun people who are law abiding and have nothing major on their record will still have no trouble buying. Another major change that would benefit is making gun safety courses a regulation and maybe even teach it in schools. Although range training would have to be something you would have to do outside of school learning basics such as how to clear a gun and proper etiquette. Gun safety should be taught in school because it will teach your child what to do if they find a gun or if their friend has one, instead of not knowing what to do and getting hurt or hurting someone else.

Self defense is a major use for guns, being able to defend yourself from an attack from a knife, blunt object, another gun or even a group of attackers. Concealed carry is a good way to protect yourself and other people around you. About 9 million Americans between the ages of 18 and 29 actively carry a handgun with them, four out of five said that they carry mainly for protection reasons, 6% of people say they have been threatened with a gun in the past five years and 1% say they carry without a permit even where a permit is required.

Overall abolishing the Second Amendment would be a negative thing, although I believe there could be some changes but not in the way people might think help but in a way that benefits more people instead of dimply banning all the guns that look scary. Something as easy as strickening gun registration and regulation could make a massive positive difference.