You Only Live Once | Teen Ink

You Only Live Once

By Wjwee21 BRONZE, Singapore, Other
Wjwee21 BRONZE, Singapore, Other

In my opinion life has lots of things to provide us, us humans have developed and made a lot of new technology to help us with our daily lives, well in reality Technology solves many of our problems, its as if we had a younger sibling, who would be there to help us in solving our problems and to make our lives easier.

Bill Gates once said “we're changing the world with technology”, and I agree with him. In our lifetime, technology has been improved from the first computer to the newest and greatest. Everything is getting faster, more powerful, etc. But really does all this new technology and social media apps REALLY help us?.

In a way, technology has helped us make our daily lives easier and has also made our lives more depressing. Do you Realise when you are at a restaurant a lot of the times you see people on their phones, family kids couples all staring at their devices, don’t you think that's just sad? According to Time, researchers have asked 300 people to go out to dinner with a friend or family. These researchers had the intention of studying how phones use affected the experience. The researcher did not want people in the study to be aware of that goal. By disguising the researcher’s intention, they have told half of the group that they received a study related question via text at some point of the meal. So they should keep the devices on the table. The other half thought they would answer a question on paper, and they were told to put their phones away. how Afterwards both groups answered a question about their enjoyment and dinner and all that. Their response showed a clear dip in pleasure amongst the phone uses - who just virtue of having their smartphone on the table. The group that had their smartphones on the table they ended up using their smartphones for an average of 11 percent of the meal. This study really showed that we have become so reliant on our devices that even having a meal we can’t stand to leave our phones behind.

Having said all of that, I do believe that smartphones and social media have a big positive impact on our lives I also believe that having a balance between both is, something you’ve got to. but it is you who makes the right decision?