The Thoughts of a Pessimist | Teen Ink

The Thoughts of a Pessimist

By Leximous05 BRONZE, Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Leximous05 BRONZE, Elizabethtown, Kentucky

“I don’t want to do it! It looks terrifying!” Those were my last words before the ride. My parents boarded the little raft and blocked my escape. We were in Santa Clause, Indiana at holiday world on a little day trip, and the workers had said they loved this ride. We were in the waterpark area, so we decided to try it. We started moving down a small black tunnel, and then the “fun” started. We hit large drops in a pitch black tube, and all I could hear was screaming and rushing water. Small holes on the tube we were riding through lit up the faces of my family beside me, allowing me to see large smiles on my parents faces, and my sister crying. Finally, we got of the ride and left. I loved the ride! I learned a valuable lesson. Avoid expecting the worst possible outcome.

A few years ago, in an amusement park not so far away, I stood next to my father and made my choice. It was the summer of 2013, and my family went to Beach Bend. After an hour and a half of a constand, “are we there yet?,” we finally arrived. I could hear the screaming of riders on the roller coasters, and the splashes of water in the wave pool. The wave pool, was definitely my favorite. When the water park closed, we went to the amusement park section, and again, I picked out my favorite ride. It was definitely the white water rapids. It was almost closing time, and as we walked out, I saw the Kentucky rumbler. My dad must have seen me looking at it, and he said, “do you want to ride it?” I decided to face my fears, and ride it. In the line, I almost backed out, twice, but dad convinced me otherwise. In the end, I LOVED this roller coaster. It was my first one and I enjoyed it. It has definitely helped me now, because every time I want to try something new, I think about this, and remind myself to not think the worst would happen. It has allowed me to do a lot more fun things.

It was summer, and I was twelve years old. I had never learned to swim, so mom enrolled me in lessons. I had very bad anxiety, so I worried about it all the time. I went to therapy, and it helped a little, but the lessons were still to come. The time came, and overall, it went very well.  Until the last two days. They were going to teach us to dive. The pool we were at did not allow diving, but they taught us anyway. I expected the worst to come, and ended up hurting myself. I would be halfway through a dive, then bail out. I spun sideways, hitting my leg on the side of the pool, creating a very bad gash on my leg. I still have the scar! Finally, on the last day, I dove correctly. I was much funner than I thought it would be. I couldn't believe why I had been so scared. So, I dove; again and again. This helped me through my life because I am not as anxious about water. We have a boat, and I would constantly wear a life jacket, even if we were sitting completely still, just fishing. Now, I can take the itchy life jacket off.

October 30th, 2018. We were two months into the school year, and I had a crush. There was this beautiful girl in my grade, and we had been friends since seventh grade. I had always told my parents that I wanted to focus on school, and not think about this kind of thing until high school, but they teased me whenever they saw me hanging out with a girl. It is easy to tell that if it is in this essay about facing fears, then it must have played out differently than I expected. I that is what you thought, than you are correct. There was one friend I trusted telling, and he was one of her good friends. On her birthday, He said, “you should definitely ask her out today!” I did not know it was her birthday, and so I thought about it. I ended up thinking it would go bad, so I said no. I had already backed out many times, and this was no different. Different, until my friend intervened. He told her in second period that I had something for her, and then it was unavoidable. In third period, she walked up to me and asked what it was I had for her. It was now or never. I looked her in the eye, and said I liked her. I braced myself, ready for a disappointment. I was wrong! Turns out, she was hiding emotions for me too. Because of this experience, I am not as nervous around girls, like I used to be.

I think back to all my pessimistic thoughts throughout my childhood, and they seem so stupid to me now. I don't understand what put them in my head, but it must have been my age. I am almost in high school now, and can do a lot more fun things without letting my friend down. I still have a long life ahead (unless I die in a car crash or something) and I will be able to think about these times and tell myself to not expect the worst outcome.   

This was in response to a middle school personal essay prompt