The Presence of Optimism | Teen Ink

The Presence of Optimism

February 4, 2019
By brookesockwell BRONZE, Austin, Texas
brookesockwell BRONZE, Austin, Texas
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The world holds a mix of people who are enduring the triumphs and challenges of life. Each day brings new opportunities that cannot be predicted because circumstances are forever changing. However, in the midst of all these experiences that life brings, there is something that we can rely on: optimism.

There are so many people who live off of optimism but are in extremely different environments. With all the violence these days, optimism seems like a survival tool to get through all the destruction and fear that comes from it. Soldiers are motivated to train and fight in hopes of winning, while victims dream of the war coming to an end. Wars always have devastating consequences like sacrificed lives, bewildered refugees, and disheveled countries. Optimism can provide mental and physical strength during these dark times to anyone who is involved because they can cling to the hope that peace could eventually come. That is not to say that optimism will make the fighting stop but it helps people cope and have the will to keep living.

This same role that optimism plays can be seen in countries suffering from starvation. I have had for the past five years the privilege to travel to Zambia and spend time with some of the country’s precious but vulnerable children. Zambia is one of these countries that falls under a scarcity of food, and unfortunately, children feel the effects of it the most. Family is not a strong concept in this culture so children are just seen as burdens and more mouths to feed. They receive abuse that no one should receive. I’ve had the opportunity to hear stories from some of these kids and maltreatment can range from beatings to Witch Doctor visits to verbal slander. These kids are literally fighting for their lives, but you will still find smiles on their faces. It is the most amazing sight because you would think that a smile would be the last thing that they would have. They have an internal spark that is not dependent on their circumstances because optimism gives them the hope that they will have a future.

It would seem that optimism is usually the most visible in times of hardship. But what if all the world’s problems were solved? Optimism is still present in any circumstance because it is an internal mindset that is based off of the individual person, not the world. Even if all the world’s problems are solved, optimism is still needed to live a prosperous and impactful life.

Our lives are heavily influenced by optimism because it is more than just a feeling of hope. Optimism gives us purpose and the positive outlook we need to keep striving towards goals. We all have ambitions we want to accomplish in life even if they are as difficult as becoming a brain surgeon and as simple as acing a test. These goals take hard work to fulfill but they give us something to look forward to for the future, because life would seem pointless without them. Optimism brings out the best in us because we are more productive when we have something to work for. This demonstrates how optimism is more than just an emotion because it can lead to actual actions as well. Goals are designed differently to compliment the person who creates it so this is not considered a world problem, but these goals still need optimism to stir up motivation.

The world benefits from optimism even when all of its problems are solved because optimism is contagious and uplifts people.  Hope coexists with joy so optimism makes people happier because they have an upbeat outlook on life. This allows us to see new opportunities that we might not notice if we are pessimistic and think they are impossible. Optimism does not guarantee a smooth, easy life with no obstacles, but it does help us move past them. Hope serves to overcome any negative emotions such as depression, anxiety, or anger. When people are optimistic, they inspire others around them to be too. They are more likely to be kinder, see the best in people, and help others get through hard situations. These acts cause the people who received them to also have the desire to be optimistic because the positivity makes them feel better. It doesn’t matter if the world is full of problems or problemless, optimism is needed to provide hope and help us live our best life.


The author's comments:

I believe that optimism is in all circumstances of life, whether that be celebrations or challenges. Its presence can help people endure situations through the hope that comes from this positive outlook. Most people believe that optimism is only needed for when hardships occur, but I wrote this piece to show how optimism is needed in anything we do. This piece is about how even if all the world's problems are solved, optimism is still needed to get the most out of life.