Ashley Graham, a Role Model | Teen Ink

Ashley Graham, a Role Model

By lizzymessineo BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
lizzymessineo BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

“I believe beauty is beyond size. With so much emphasis on the body and external, it’ no wonder we all suffer so much internally” This quote was stated by Ashley Graham who is an international celebrity. She is a plus size model and a great influence for young women who are struggling with self love and confidence.

Ashley Graham is a fantastic role model for any girl because she shows girls how to love themselves and feel comfortable in their own skin, no matter your size. It is very important for one to love themselves because it helps one appreciate their life and everyone else's around them. It also gives one a greater purpose in life. In a society that looks at women as sexual objects it is very important to have self respect and self love. Also, in a world that uses photoshop and where plastic surgery is a norm, women and girls are looking at models who are stick thin and celebrities who have a “perfect face” from the multiple plastic surgeries, girls compare themselves to the uncomparable. It is uncomparable because it is fake. Ashley is a great person, she is down to earth, and she is completely comfortable with the way she looks. Mrs. Graham has done multiple shoots with the company “Swimsuits for All”.

Swimsuits for all is a plus size bathing suit company, which was made to boost the confidences of numerous women and girls. My mother, Sarah, and my two aunts, Becky, and Jessica also modeled for them. “Just because you are plus sized does not mean you are limited to what you are allowed to wear.” says Sarah. Ashley is such an influence on multiple amounts people, including myself. She is definitely someone to look up to because she is smart, confident, and not afraid to show who she really is. She may have a lot of haters, but she ignores them because she does not care what anybody else thinks of her. Ashley has made so many accomplishments, for example she was in the Sports Illustrated Magazine. She defied all stereotypes and did the impossible, when she puts her mind to something, it gets done. Overall, Ashley Graham is a great influence for anyone who is struggling with any self love issues or lack of confidence.

This piece is meaningful to me because I look up to Ashley Graham because she puts out a great message and she deals with a lot of hate.