Justice for a Younger America: Our Youth and Life Sentence | Teen Ink

Justice for a Younger America: Our Youth and Life Sentence

As a young adult about to turn 18 years old in two months a realization has come to me: the juvenile justice system in most states feels flawed to the majority of adults. Individuals around my age believe if a person commits a heinous crime they should be given life without parole or worse, however I have reached the conclusion most deserve a chance depending on the circumstances. My belief is that juveniles should be convicted if their reasoning was not justified, plenty of kids with a range of ages could be abused or have mental/physical illnesses.

Anyone who does have or has experienced a mental/physical illness may not be in a stable mindset to even know they have committed a crime or have the moral knowledge to understand it is wrong. After reading a handful of articles one stood out the most, Phillip Holloway gave plenty of examples of juvenile behavior, insisting “Children cannot make legal decisions for themselves, but they can be held to adult standards if they are charged with crimes.” Children depending on their age and other factors, in my opinion may not be capable to understand their crime. In psychology we discussed every stage of a child's life until reaching adulthood, there were countless times where a child could suffer a mental illness or any other disability, their minds have not fully developed causing them to act reckless and childish.

Sentencing a child to life in prison whether their mind is fully developed or not is a bit of a crime. It is understandable to lock up anyone for a heinous crime if everything is justified, however if there is not a clear and sturdy reason then sending that child to prison where they will possibly be raped, sexually assaulted and commit suicide is immoral. No one should experience this, especially not a child, being as young as they are makes them an easy target. Towards the middle of Holloway’s article he provides his readers with statistics as he stresses how cruel life in prison is for children, “...five times more likely to be raped or otherwise sexually assaulted...suicide is likewise much higher for juveniles in adult jails.” This is cruel and unusual punishment. Think if this was your child and how much rage and sadness you would feel knowing you couldn’t stop it. This is how every parent feels when they realize this is or could be happening to their children. Knowing you have at least some power to change this fate for children, especially when some of them might have had a justified reason or an illness that blocked their better judgement, will allow you to finally experience closure from the guilt that has built up from years of inaction.

Despite my fixated views on their mental health, there is a little bit more that could affect their judgement. As children, the majority of criminals lived in poverty, bad neighborhoods and stuck around with the wrong crowds. When people are young they are more influenced by everything around them, which sometimes changes their moral compass. In the last article I read, the Human Impact Partners explain, “Growing in these neighborhoods puts children at risk for behavior considered deviant and antisocial.”, one of the many reasons a child might commit a crime. Children are not born criminalistic, they are taught to be it. Even at the young age of two, a parent can teach them a new language. If it is this easy to be taught something adults struggle with, it proves how easy it is to influence a child.

All I ask as a young adult, a teenager, is to please listen to my reasons and consider possible rehabilitation; especially the ones that fit the criteria. Children experience and listen more than people think, and still most are shocked when they just do what they have learned. I recommend checking everyone's backgrounds, not just children’s, as well as their reasoning before convicting them.

Sincerely,

a concerned Chico High School student