Sorry | Teen Ink

Sorry

December 4, 2018
By mj_ruth SILVER, Windsor, Colorado
mj_ruth SILVER, Windsor, Colorado
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Do not be anxious about anything but in every situation by prayer and petition with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." Philippians 4:6


In opinion of the world, what is the hardest thing to do in life? Some say making money and providing for a family. Others may claim finding an intimate relationship. People add that making a difference is hard and making good decisions provides an obstacle in life.

In my opinion, saying sorry is one of the most challenging things to do in life.

Why? Why is it so hard to admit our mistakes even though it is the right thing to do. Time after time after time again we are told to do what’s right. We stand in front of our classes or bosses and talk or even give presentations, we are forced to meet new people, and sometimes we just have to step out of our comfort zone, but why can’t we gain the strength and the guts to say sorry?

Theory has it that saying sorry makes people feel vulnerable and lose their power. Certainly, people think it is not necessary because we all make mistakes. Other people beat themselves up for not saying sorry and regret past times they haven’t. We abuse the word. I know I do. I apologize for something even if I did not even commit the mistake. Saying sorry is a fine line. The world puts so many standards on this single word. Just saying sorry sometimes isn’t enough. It has to be sincere, but sincere is not enough. Why? Why can’t we just say sorry.

We have this instinct and fear that if we do something wrong and admit it, there will be punishments or our relationship with someone will end. We just can’t come to terms with the fact that we make mistakes and we sometimes are wrong. We can’t always win. If we know this though, why can’t we come to terms with it? That’s up to you. Let’s redefine sorry. Let’s get the courage to say sorry and mean it. Forget the “rules” the world has implanted on the world. It is as simple as acknowledging that we aren’t perfect and admitting that so we make things right.