Violence in the Media | Teen Ink

Violence in the Media

By MaLiha_khan SILVER, Srinagar,, Other
MaLiha_khan SILVER, Srinagar,, Other
6 articles 1 photo 1 comment

Since my childhood I have been surrounded by entertainment and informative means like T.V, video games, mobile phones. So have others of my generation been. Such powerful modes have played important role in shaping our personalities and behaviour. Overtime, the content of these modes of entertainment and information has changed. The concern has grown with a surge in violent content of media leading to aggressive behaviour among children and teenagers. Such an exposure results in inducement of violence among children which has adverse effects on their attitude and behaviour.

Studies show, after research was conducted on the theme that there is a monumental escalation in violent acts post exposure to violence being shown to children and teenagers. A study showed when preschoolers were shown a video of an adult hitting an inflatable doll, punching it , kicking it repeatedly and hitting it with a mallet they imitated what they saw. Surprisingly, the children found new ways to beat up the doll and played aggressively with other toys too. This leads to one to conclude that violent content in media can possibly inculcate violent behaviour among children.

The effects may not be clearly visible during childhood in some cases but are noticeable during teenage. The aggressive nature and violent behaviour of teens can be possibly a result of the extreme violence they are exposed to.
The bigger problem is that the media not only has violent and aggressive content but also glorifies it. The video games teenagers play portrays violence as desirable. It shows violence in a positive light thus making kids want to be aggressive in the name of being cool. They often do things like getting into fights and attempting different stunts. There have been instances where such content proved to be lethal like the ‘Blue Whale game’ which lead to suicides among children and teenagers all across the globe.

This grave issue needs to be addressed otherwise it can have disastrous consequences. We need to encourage non-violent content and productive use of these modes of entertainment and information for a better future.