We regret to inform you... This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

By , Oakley, CA

The sting of rejection still lingers in the air. It reminds me that I am not good enough, it reminds me that I am not worthy of such an opportunity. To move on from this glorious defeat take perseverance.

"Where do we go from here?", that is the question. I sit in my bed and question my every desire. "Am I worthy?" This is still a question that haunts my existence. I can't go on, I'll go on. Now I realize the fault in my argument. I treat this new-found realization as a terminal diagnosis, that I'll never have the opportunity to parade around the campuses that are mere dreams to high-schoolers alike. But I accept this possibility with dignity. Does it really matter which university I attend? Surely there are more pressing issues in the world than a young cowards doubts. My mind wanders into the position I was in only 3 weeks ago. Through a book, I experienced the life of a dying man and walked around in his shoes. In these strides, I came to recognize the insignificance of it all. The GPAs, the SATs and some other three letter abbreviations that equally shares my disdain. In this instant, I came to realize what it felt like to get in the ring and spar with death.

Now that I look back, I know where I go from here. I go forward without a glance elsewhere and focus on the things that truly matter. For today is a gift and rejection is nothing but the small root that juts from the ground and causes us to stumble. But still, it is a root that anchors our tree and allows us to grow.

JeffD said...
Aug. 28 at 8:00 pm
Great work! I think that this lesson is incredibly important for teens to learn