5 Reasons Why Students Should Have Less Homework | Teen Ink

5 Reasons Why Students Should Have Less Homework

By KAsahina BRONZE, Ho Chi Minh, Other
KAsahina BRONZE, Ho Chi Minh, Other

School seems to follow you all over the world. Aside from school itself, it appears at home, pops up in conversations between friends, and even interferes with your vacation. After being labored 100% at school, students are required to bring home this workload to the very small amount of freedom they possess. Some may argue that less homework would mean that they will have less time to learn. Although this may be convincing, one fails to consider that homework brings along many negative consequences. What are these negative consequences? Homework creates stress among students, it creates more work for teachers, and it separates children and their parents. Decreasing homework will ameliorate these problems.

Exploration Time!
Less time studying means more time exploring. Even though the world is a vast place with many possibilities, students stay locked up in their room at their desk finishing homework. These children should have the opportunity to explore the part of the world that they have been missing out on. They will be able to meet new people from other countries, and learn more about the animals that share the world with them. When I was in Japan, I received little homework due to the fact that I was in elementary school. In my extra hours, I would spend a lot of time on my bicycle exploring my neighborhood. My friends and I used to spend time together riding the buses or going into unknown areas. It was a great time to let my curiosity lead the way. The Natural Learning Initiative claims, “time with nature will result in an increase in physical activity, social relations, and self discipline.”

Less Stress and Increase in School Performance
The word “stress” is heard often among the conversations of teens. Professors claim that the source of stress is sleep deprivation and health issues, and it takes no genius to know that the source of those problems is homework overload. Lack of sleep and health could also have a negative impact on school performance. During class, it is not uncommon to see students resting their heads on their arms with their eyes shut. Every adult knows that lack of nutrients would result in lack of concentration. Therefore, students with more homework would have a hard time concentrating during school. All in all, one can conclude that more work at home means less work  achieved at school, which is the exact opposite that parents expect from their children.

More Time for After School Activities(ASA)
After School Activities are an enjoyable time that all students are able to take part in and have fun. It is a precious duration of time where students are able to do what they want, and reduce stress from school. Many students find ASA a great time to hang out with their friends and cooperate with them to complete various tasks. By decreasing the amount of homework, they will be able to take part in ASAs. The American Learning Institute shows this can have an effect on confidence and health. I have had a personal experience in which I spent time taking part in an Archery ASA with my companions because I didn't have homework that day. It was good opportunity for me to chat with my friends and have fun. Therefore, one can say that less homework will give students a break from everyday homework.

Less Work for Teachers
Being a teacher is a hard job. They have to dignify naughty children, and make sure each and every individual ends up as a satisfactory adult. If the teachers do not meet the requirements from their executive, they are punished or even asked to leave school. Considering the number of obstacles they hurdle over, their salary is not prosperous. Washington Post claim that teachers work up to 53 hours a week. In their service hours, they might grade tests or assign homework. Even teachers are humans, and any minute subtracted would be a grateful reward. Homework decrease is the answer. Most of the time, the number of students in a grade sum up to over 50. By assigning less homework for students, they will have to do less work. Teachers can spend their newly gained overtime watching movies, reading books, and even playing sports. Now it is a win-win situation for both teachers and their students!

Family Time!!
The last and most important reason to decrease homework has a lot to do with family. Families are the one thing everyone needs, but does not take advantage of. They have been with children since they day they were born. They have taught adolescents that behind every problem, a reward awaits. They have gifted their sons and daughters with safety and a prosperous life. We cannot thank these people enough. Although good grades might be a good repay of kindness, spending time with them is no doubt the best reward. Showing them how they have grown and how they will continue to grow into adulthood will help parents feel confidence and pride of the successes their children have tackled. Less homework will pry students off their desks. It will become the bond between children and their parents.

Some may argue that less homework would mean less time for students to spend studying. Although this may be true, they fail to consider that most students already go to enough academies and after school tutoring. To add to that, they still receive homework. A little less of their studying time does not mean they will stop learning. Homework is not bad. It has educated students and have helped them prove their knowledge to teachers. As many people say, everything has to come to an end sometime. This is applicable to homework as well. Although homework should not be diminished, a limit must be placed.

In conclusion, one can see that less homework will mitigate problems for students, teachers, and parents. It reduces stress, and give everyone a better experience. Many schools can incorporate these notions and create a situation that is beneficial for everyone.

5 Reasons why students should have less homework