Homework, It gets you Nowhere | Teen Ink

Homework, It gets you Nowhere

February 12, 2009
By Justin Anderson BRONZE, Dallas, Texas
Justin Anderson BRONZE, Dallas, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The purpose of this report is to explain why students should not be assigned home. Also, how it can affect students and how they can succeed without it.

Homework can sometimes cause major problems to students, even the weak ones. In high school, students get more stressed out than the homework they are assigned. With the no late work policy and make up work, they can fall behind very quickly and might have to repeat their grade year again. Some students might want to drop out of school. Especially when it comes to upcoming exams and students really need to finish their homework. It is just so stressful!

It may come to a surprise that students can still succeed without homework. Without homework, they can spend more time studying for an exam or a test. We all know that test and exams are major grades. Now if students who are in athletics are not assigned homework, they can focus more on their practice and not worrying about the homework they need to finish in the short amount of time they have until tomorrow. No homework can help students and athletes more than you imagine.

Even some parents have a problem of homework being assigned. Parents might not be able to help their child with a homework assignment they can't understand either. When it comes to subjects like math or history, parents could do more harm than good if they have problems understanding the assignment. Back then, parents might not have had the same kind of homework kids have today. Maybe not as much as students today get. Not just kids, but parents too hate homework.

Back during the 1900s, homework was thought as a waste of time. Harris Copper, a homework researcher, proved that homework wasn't an effort of academic achievement. In 1901, homework was banned in grade schools. Then, after a few months, homework somehow became popular. How can homework be popular?

Teachers and principals need to see that students have the responsibility of accomplishing things at school. Homework can cause students to lack their love for learning. Teachers can't spend more time teaching the students more on the subject than having to assign the homework and telling them what they need to do. Students should be graded on the participation they do in class. No homework can give the teachers more time teaching the students more than what they need to know, which they enjoy very much. I don't know about the students.

Homework is a bad idea and a waste of time. Some teachers know that students have better things to do. Like wondering if they can buy an Xbox 360 or when will the next Assassin's Creed game will come out. Mostly, they might choose to go outside. But hey, I just research and say what I know. You do the math.