Art Class is Needed in Schools | Teen Ink

Art Class is Needed in Schools

By actsinglove BRONZE, Waukesha, Wisconsin
actsinglove BRONZE, Waukesha, Wisconsin

Imagine a world without art, no paintings on the walls, no art museums, no music playing in your ears, decreased creativity, no bright beautiful buildings, not even on the inside. A world in black and white. Some people believe that art shouldn't be taught in schools because it wastes time that can be used for math and literacy classes and kids can be more focused on art than improving test scores. But to these I say that art can be easily incorporated into the school day and art improves kids performances on tests by teaching students skills from their normal classes in different ways. Due to these reasons I affirm that art should be taught in schools because it helps students in their core classes, improves fine motor skills and helps decision making skills.

Many education professionals state that art lowers test scores because it takes away from time that could be spent teaching math and science. Little do they know that art can actually improve test scores by teaching students math and science in a different way that stimulates brain activity. According to a report by Americans for the Arts, "young people who participate regularly in the arts (three hours a day on three days each week through one full year) are four times more likely to be recognized for academic achievement, to participate in a math and science fair or to win an award for writing an essay or poem than children who do not participate." (Martin, Lauren) this wasn't the only organization to publish proof that art helps students in their core classes. Tom Horne, Arizona's state superintendent of public instruction also agrees with this evidence saying that "If they're worried about their test scores and want a way to get them higher, they need to give kids more arts, not less." (Smith, Fran) The reason why art raises test scores are the skills that we use in art such as measurement and patterns which are used in mathematics. (Seif, Elliot) Math and science aren't the only skills that art teaches; art also improves fine motor skills that are needed in day to day life.

Fine motor skills such as holding a pencil, getting dressed, and picking up a fork are very important day to day skills that everyone needs to master to live a healthy life. These motor skills can be attained by participating in art classes. Holding paintbrushes or other tools used in art can help to gain skills that help students hold a pencil and write which is needed in all core classes. (Lynch, Grace H.) The National Institute of Health published a report stating that, "developmental milestones around age three should include drawing a circle and beginning to use safety scissors. Around age four, children may be able to draw a square and begin cutting straight lines with scissors." ("NAEA") These skills are accomplished during art classes. Based on this evidence art classes are needed to achieve basic life skills.

Which color should I use? Is the next note a c or a d? Art helps students to make these decisions and many more by enhancing decision making skills. When students perform a task they have to make decisions such as what medium, color, and style to use. (Martin, Lauren.)  by making these decisions a student's brain can make more important decisions when needed. According to Americans for the Arts, "art education strengthens problem-solving and critical-thinking skills" (Lynch, Grace H.)  The arts teach superior thinking skills such as, to observe, synthesize, interpret, see perspectives and many more. (Seif, Elliot.) Despite this solid evidence some people still carry the belief that arts programs are positively horrible for students and schools.

Despite all of the evidence explained some people still believe that art is a waste of time and decreases test scores. Defenders of the claim that art shouldn't be taught in schools say that art is a waste of time that could be used for core classes and students can become less focused on improving test scores but as stated before art actually helps enhance skills taught in core classes and it can easily be incorporated into the school day. Due to these reasons I strongly agree with the claim that art should most definitely be taught in schools.

In culmination schools should focus more on arts programs because, arts programs help students learn skills they need for other classes, improve fine motor skills necessary for life, and help with decision making skills. Some people think that art is a waste of time and space but look around, art is everywhere! Art is in your home, your workplace, your school, on the streets in museums, at that concert you went to and anywhere else you can think of. If we don't teach these students art they may not be able to learn it anywhere else. Art is the food in our mouths and water cleansing our throats. Without it life would drastically change.Give students life skills, give students art.

Works Cited
Lynch, Grace H. "Eat Smart for a Great Start Newsletter." PBS. PBS, n.d. Web. 11 Feb.               
   2015.
Martin, Lauren. "10 Reasons Why Arts in Education Is So Important for Kids - K12 -       
  Learning Liftoff Free Parenting Education and Homeschooling Resources. K12 Inc., 24
  Jan. 2014. Web. 24 Mar. 2015.
"NAEA - National Art Education Association." 10 Lessons the Arts Teach • National Art   
   Education Association. National Art Education Association, n.d. Web. 22 Mar. 2015. Seif, Elliot. "Elliott Seif." ASCD EDge. ASCD, n.d. Web. 24 Mar. 2015.
Smith, Fran. "Why Arts Education Is Crucial, and Who's Doing It Best." Edutopia. 
   George Lucas Education Foundation, 28 Jan. 2009. Web. 11 Feb. 2015.
Sosnowski, Jana. "The Importance of Art, Music & Phys Ed in Elementary School."
   Education. Hearst Seattle Media LLC., n.d. Web. 24 Mar. 2015.