iPads vs. Textbooks | Teen Ink

iPads vs. Textbooks

By curtiss.brittany BRONZE, Brush Prairie, Washington
curtiss.brittany BRONZE, Brush Prairie, Washington

What if you could have your whole backpack at the touch of you fingertips? In the first month of the Apple iPads release a whooping 25 million were sold! People all over the world use iPads for all sorts of different things: business, games, media, etc, but one of their finest qualities is the ability to be a textbook. IPads have already replaced textbooks in over 600 counties. Schools in America should do away with their beefy school books and switch to iPads because they cost less, weight less, are more efficient, and can be used whenever, wherever.

To begin, school districts should switch out their textbooks to iPads because they are less expensive. Textbooks become outdated and schools have to buy new books, but with an iPad schools can update them for free therefore they can use the saved money for other programs. In an online newspaper article it states, “...iPads cost between $500 and $600 dollars, which is what Brookfield High in Connecticut estimates it spends per student on a yearly basis for textbooks,” (Saavedra 2). Schools don’t have to spend $500 every year for iPads because they last a while and can be updated. Because they are more reasonably priced, schools should convert their textbooks to iPads .

Secondly, iPads are lighter than multiple heavy textbooks and notebooks so schools should replace books with iPads. In high school, textbooks have an average of 4.8 pounds each, students usually have multiple classes which results in multiple textbooks, which adds up (Glenn 3). A solution to that is an iPad, they only weigh 1.33 pounds and can hold virtually all of a students textbooks (Apple 2). Research shows, “Improper backpack use can also lead to poor posture,” (Backpack 9). Heavy backpacks filled will books can cause bad backs, but since iPads are lighter backs can be saved. Due to the weigh of textbooks, schools should switch to iPads because they weigh significantly less.
Third, schools in America should get rid of their textbooks and get iPads because they have more capabilities. Some might think all of the apps are distracting but the apps actually make iPads more efficient. According to an article written by Simon Saavedra from The Christian Post, “iPads...absorb the need to buy graphic calculators, dictionaries, and other items that are found within the device,” ( Saavedra 9). Textbooks cannot do those tasks, but iPads can easily do them with just a tap of the fingertip. Clearly, iPads should replace textbooks in schools because they have a lot of abilities.
Lastly, iPads are a better choice for schools instead of textbooks because these devices are accessible anywhere at any time. These tablets are perfect for busy school students. Liz Kolb from Academic Search Premier was in agreement with this point when she stated, “They want to be able to learn anytime (even at 2:00 am); anywhere (even at the mall),” (Kolb 10). IPads allow students to access their learning whenever making it easier to get their homework done. Obviously, iPads are a great alternative to books in schools because students can use them on the go whenever they please.

In conclusion, schools in America should get rid of their bulky textbooks and switch to iPads. First, they are cheaper, so schools can invest in other programs such as drama, music, and many others. Also, they are lighter so they will save students from having bad posture. Third, they have more abilities than an average textbook. Lastly, iPads can be used any where, any time. IPads have allowed this generation to have their entire backpack in the palm of their hands.

Beena said...
on Nov. 19 2016 at 6:57 am
No word to appreciate

bobby said...
great idea

jhon smith said...
on Aug. 26 2014 at 11:44 am
me too i also agree we have a chance to have ipads also we can prove everybody wrong  

The man said...
This is a lot of info for a essay

Kyraa2018 said...
on May. 20 2014 at 8:36 am
It says counties not countries

its a good idea

qwerty said...
on Mar. 26 2014 at 8:39 am
Some grammatical errors, but i agree

1111 said...
I am personally against switching textbooks for iPads. iPads can be good for students during class when they need another source, a simple search on the internet is easy and extremely helpful.  Transferring textbooks onto iPads strains a child's eyes. It would take their attention OFF of learning. I have laptops at school and I cannot help but go on other sites. If I'm that spaced out, scrolling up and down the page can even satisfy boredom.  Traditional learning of using textbooks is much more effective. 

123321 said...
1st, iPads can be enabled with parental features that disable games etc so it is a good idea it also teaches responsibility

Bones said...
on Aug. 15 2013 at 8:28 am
Replacing books with tablets for learning is a terrible idea.  Tablets offer little flexibility to reference what was already read and provide distractions.  Even my workplace has discouraged laptop and tablet use in meetings because people would not pay attention.

nono said...
on Aug. 5 2013 at 4:15 am
bull there arent even 600 countries in the entire world let alone ones that can afford ipads

NMS 34 said...
on May. 9 2013 at 10:45 am
I so much argee with you that  we teens of america need ipads for our books. 

bepink14 said...
on May. 9 2013 at 10:42 am
I sooo agree with this article!!!! i always come home with like a bunch of books!! Break out the ipads

Therminator said...
I'm sure people have discussed this for the low scio-economic and hard to staff schools across the country. Also, how will theft, damage and overwhelmed wifi connections at the majority of schools will be dealt with. I'm sure cost management analyst have worked out these potential problems.

lifesaver said...
on Mar. 4 2013 at 11:18 am
i totally agree, we are pushing the school department to make the switch and it is slowly making progress :)