Do Not Homeschool

You are sitting in school, end of the day on Friday, watching the clock tick tick tick. You can’t wait for the bell to ring for school to be over so you and all your friends can get ready for that nights football game against your school’s biggest rival. But what if you weren’t able to do all that? What if you didn’t have a football team, or didn’t have to sit and wait for the school bell to ring, or didn’t have tons of school friends? That’s what it’s like for a homeschooler. Most children who are homeschooled lack life experience, independence and are deprived of normal school activities, all because of untrained parents who are selfish and overprotective.

Homeschooled kids don’t develop life experiences or independence that children who go to a public school would. When kids are homeschooled, they are surrounded by adults and are very sheltered from the outside world. Besides siblings, if they have them, homeschoolers don’t get interaction with others and don’t build essential problem-solving skills. If a mother bird kept a baby bird in the nest all the time, the bird will never be able to spread its wing and learn to fly. If a parent keeps their kid at home to educate them, then their child won’t be able to become independent or learn to fly. When homeschoolers get out into college or into the real world that they have been sheltered from, they are in a shock. They won’t be able to control every aspect of their lives and what people are doing around them. How will a child who is at home all day gain the same experiences or independence as a public schooled child?

Kids who are schooled through a public education system have many more activities that they can participate in over a homeschooler. Public schools have professional teacher to teach extracurricular classes such as Art, Drama, Gym, Orchestra, Band, Choir, Librarians, and much more. There are also many clubs and sports that homeschooled kids don’t have access to either, like soccer team, football teams, cross country, ski club, chess club, teen institute, and mentoring. In most high schools it is required that you have at least one year of a foreign language taken to graduate, and you have many options by professionals in that language, but as a homeschooler you normally have only one option taught by your mom or whoever your teacher is. By attending a public school, kids have more opportunities to participate in something they enjoy and have the possibility to be accepted into college over a homeschooler who didn’t.

Many parents who homeschool they child is for their own selfish reasons. Parents don’t want their kid to be around others that may be inappropriate who go to a public school. If they don’t experience it through their years of schooling, when they go out into the real world they will be in total shock from what they have been sheltered from. It is estimated that in Scotland there are 5,000 children being homeschooled, yet only 350 are registered with local authorities (Bowditch). Parents who are the ones that actually teach their children should need a teaching degree. You don’t see parents going around doing surgery or filling the teeth of their children. It is illegal to pretend to be a doctor or nurse without a degree, so why are parents who are untrained or don’t have a degree able to teach their children at home? Adults are criminals, posing as a teacher and teaching without letting authorities know. If your kid has a learning disability then a school is a much better place for them. Schools have professionals trained to be patient with kids with mild disabilities like stuttering or dyslexia, or severe disabilities like down syndrome. A study done at Harvard University said on average kids that are homeschooled do not do any better at college level as kids that were publically educated (Boyce). Parents homeschool their kids to say “Look at my child, isn’t she smart? I taught her everything she knows.” But when it comes to schooling a child, it shouldn’t be done to have a parent show off their teaching abilities, it should be to help educate a child so they can become the best they can be.

Homeschooling is a bad option of schooling because those kids lack life experiences, independence and they don’t have school activities available to them. Parents can be selfish for homeschooling and shouldn’t be allowed to teach without a teacher’s degree. There’s nothing better than waiting at the end of a long Friday at school, and hanging with all your friends. Why would you give up, or make you child give up, all the wonderful high school experiences to become a sheltered homeschooler?

CamFlores said...
Oct. 30 at 4:58 pm
I think this is full of conjecture and the writer needs to do more research.

KTLB said...
Oct. 30 at 10:28 am
I am curious about why you wrote this article and where you got information for it. I've been homeschooled all of my life, but I do a lot of things (sports, classes) with kids who are in traditional schools. It always seems to me that THEY are the ones who are sheltered, constantly supervised, limited to what occurs in the classroom or within the school walls. I have interests that I have been able to pursue, because I am homeschooled, that would be limited in school. For example, I lov... (more »)

James said...
As a teen that was homeschooled since kindergarden I agree. I don't do as near as much as I could be and I am not happy with it either,but my parents think school is to unsafe.

DawnieRae said...
I know a lot of other people have commented on this but I wanted to add my personal thoughts. I am 13, I have been homeschooled since 1st grade. I went to public school in kindergarten but my parenents took me out because they felt like my teacher had more influence over me then they did. So, now I am homeschooled and this year I am going to a Co-op, I took dance classes for two years, and I am doing karate next year. Contrary to what Alexis said, HOMESCHOOLERS HAVE FRIENDS!!!! I don't k... (more »)

LuvJesus said...
This article is seriously flawed. I'm homeschooled, and when I "venture out" the only shock hat I get is that public schools seem to be doing so little! School is not about wAiting for the end so you can go to a football game. It's about learning.

Artgirl1999 said...
I am homeschooled, and this article does not describe me at all. I take art classes from a professional artist, I take drama with my friends, I'm part of two homeschool groups. When I want to go to the library, I ride my bike there, no matter what time it is. Sometimes I'm done my schoolwork hours before public schoolers. Also, my mother is a certified teacher. I don't know if you thought of that. I just wanted to point out that your article, while it is well written, has some flaws.

hakuna.matata.bro said...
Sitting here in my living room, I think about all of the things I have to do this week. I have a co-op to go to, dance team to attend, a photography class, youth group, band practice, and on Friday, a trip to the mountains with a few of my friends to go zip lining. Next week I get to attend a football homecoming game and a soccer game. After I finish my schoolwork today, I may get the chance to go hang out with some friends and jam with our instruments. I'm homeschooled.

ElfWarriorIsa said...
You make me smile. Not only do I have a host of friends of all ages, I attend one of the top youth orchestras in my state and drama club regularly, and have a 4.0 gpa in the college classes I'm taking. I've written five novels, and I'm homeschooled.

AJfabrizzi said...
Oct. 13, 2011 at 11:42 am

Hm, well as a sixteen year old homeschooled student, I have to wonder if you actually know any homeschooled kids. I have had all the experience of real friends, real independence, and school activities are in fact available. I love being home schooled.

I respect your opinion, however I hope you realize not all homeschooled students are the streotypical socialite outcasts you seem to think they are:)

Liv297 said...
I completely disagree with this article. I know of three students at my my school who were homeschooled through elementary and all of them easily adapted to highschool. Also, the reason one of these kids were homeschooled was because they were constantly traveling, and going on missions with their church. I think cultural experiences like this benefit students far more then any amount of schooling would.

freeformschooler said...
Oct. 9, 2011 at 11:48 am
Very neat and clean article. I enjoyed it. However, as a seventeen year old who has been homeschooled most of their life, I have some counter-points!

"Most children who are homeschooled lack life experience, independence and are deprived of normal school activities, all because of untrained parents who are selfish and overprotective."

Certain aspects of your main points are just flat out untrue. For example, as opposed to having less independence, I actually had more indepe... (more »)

Pumpkinscout replied...
You said it, freeformschooler!!! I agree!!! Also, I would like to add that AlexisHailey obviously believes that it's impossible to do school sports if you're in school, but I run cross country for my school district (I am homeschooled) and my coach homeschools their kids. Also, some of my friends take band with the local school and others I know do hockey or baseball with their respective districts. I do not feel deprived or that my parents are harming me or being selfish in any way. I also, lik... (more »)

lizzykittylover replied...

I wrote a rebuttal on this article.... here it is.

Summer swim team, devotions, meals with my family, and grooming my dog, all remain part of the pleasures of my homeschooled life. Spending time at home with my parents and family encourages me to “grow in the grace and knowledge of [my] Lord and Savior Jesus Christ” (2 Peter 3:18). According to Alexis Hailey, a teenage opponent of home education, kids learning at home lack independence and normal school activities.... (more »)

lizzykittylover replied...
Sorry, don't know why it double posted some parts. =/

Pumpkinscout replied...
Oct. 18, 2011 at 9:13 am
Excellent. I agree...and hey! Who says homeschoolers can't go to football games, ya know?