Bullying in School | Teen Ink

Bullying in School

June 1, 2011
By CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
12 articles 10 photos 1646 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius


If you saw bullying, what would you do to stop it? Would you stand by and let it happen, take part in it or try to stop it? Not many students think about this, and that’s part of the problem.


‘Treat others the way you want to be treated.’ That’s the Golden Rule and it should be followed in every aspect of your life. If someone was in a position to stop you from being bullied and did nothing, how would you feel? If you find that unacceptable, you must do everything you can to stop others from hurting people.


Are you even remotely aware of how much pain these victims feel every day? They go to school knowing they’re going to be hurt and they see no way out. This is because people like you and many others stand by and let it happen without contemplating how much pain this is causing people. Ask yourself this: How would you feel if you were in the victim’s position and could see no end to your pain?


When the victims see no way out, they may choose to tragically end their life, leaving more hurt behind for those who were unable to stop it. Canada has the third-highest teen suicide rate of all the industrialized nations, with 15 deaths per 100,000 people. Suicide is the second leading cause of death for people ages 10-24, behind motor vehicle accidents. The death of a young person is always a waste of life, so how many more lives must be wasted before something is done?


If you condone bullying in any way, shape or form, you are taking part in it. Bullying is everyone’s responsibility and the option of doing nothing is unacceptable in civilized society. Some people may consider mocking someone funny, even though it is anything but funny to the victim. Small jabs taken every day can add up to a lot of pain and suffering. While it may seem innocent to the person taking the shots, the cumulative effect of these daily jabs could be devastating. In addition to that, as the pain increases, each jab cuts a little deeper.


Bullying can happen in school, so it is the responsibility of students to protect their classmates and to show everyone the dignity and respect they would like to be treated with. The first line of defense in bullying is in student’s own behavior. But when that fails, it must be brought to the attention of someone in authority, like a teacher. The concept of someone in authority failing to address the problem is simply not acceptable. This is why you must speak to a teacher you trust and know will do something to stop the bullying.


Bullying is happening everywhere, even at your own school. You may not see it, you may not know it is there, but it is happening and it causes unimaginable pain to the victims. The only way to end bullying is to talk about it openly rather than making it a taboo issue. If someone is hurting another person, they will not stop unless someone (either a fellow classmate or someone in authority) stands up for the victim and tells their tormentor to stop. Bullying is everyone’s problem; therefore everyone has to be part of the solution.


The author's comments:
This was originally an article I wrote for my school newsletter because I was sick of how much bullying was going on at my school. The newsletter just came out and so far nothing has changed; I really wish it would.

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 196 comments.


on Aug. 19 2013 at 1:57 am
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
12 articles 10 photos 1646 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Absolutely.  Bullying hurts and it's affecting every single person out there in some way.  Every single one of us has been either a victim, bully or bystander.

on Aug. 19 2013 at 1:56 am
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
12 articles 10 photos 1646 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Victims shouldn't have to stand up to bullies because there shouldn't be victims in the first place.  Besides, standing up works sometimes and sometimes it backfires.  No, the best way to fight bullying is prevention by teaching all children to respect everyone else and treat others how they would like to be treated.  It won't work with everyone, but it will certainly cut down on the current high rate of bullying.

on Aug. 19 2013 at 1:55 am
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
12 articles 10 photos 1646 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Of course bullying should stop, but how do we get people to treat others with respect?  Bullies are the kind of people that don't like to listen when others criticize their behaviour, so how do you break the cycle?  It's difficult.

on Aug. 19 2013 at 1:54 am
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
12 articles 10 photos 1646 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

It's good that you stand up for people, but sometimes avoiding the bully doesn't help.  This is especially true in a small school like the one I'm going to.  It's hard to avoid the bully when they're in the same grade as you and are in the same classes.

on Aug. 19 2013 at 1:52 am
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
12 articles 10 photos 1646 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Exactly.  What it boils down to is treating other people the way you would like them to treat you.  It's really that simple, but if everyone did that it would fix a lot of problems not just in school, but in the world.

on Aug. 19 2013 at 1:52 am
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
12 articles 10 photos 1646 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Fair enough and I'm so glad that you realized the error of your ways.  Your reason makes sense to you, but the bullying I saw in my particular school had a lot to do with the parents' attitudes.  It depends on the person and I'm happy you decided to add your voice to the conversation. :)

Anon said...
on Jul. 25 2013 at 12:15 pm
Bullying is a real horrid thing and I feel very sorry for anyone who is being bullied, I myself was ne bullied my the peoson who is now my one of my best friends.

on Jul. 19 2013 at 5:13 pm
DawnieRae BRONZE, Lancaster, Ohio
3 articles 0 photos 218 comments
I don't go to public school, so I don't see bullying everyday. But bullying isn't just in school, its everywhere. Thatnk you for writing this Carrie Ann!

JohnJames said...
on Jun. 11 2013 at 12:42 am
dont forget the unintentional bullying...pranks can actually really hurt someone as well even if it was just intended for a good laugh...  

Marlina said...
on May. 21 2013 at 7:44 pm
that is so true i know alot of bully's in school i try to stop them but they just take it as a joke

stylist said...
on May. 5 2013 at 7:51 pm
Excellent Job

on Apr. 19 2013 at 7:36 am
i totally agree they neeed to stand up to they're bullies, love you all add me on fb xxxxxxxxxxxx 

george said...
on Apr. 8 2013 at 9:36 pm
Hello Carrie i was amazed by your article , you did a great job and you gave me some ideas for my research essay. I wish you all the best xx

geo07 said...
on Apr. 8 2013 at 7:46 pm
 I LOVE THIS SITE

ma long said...
on Feb. 1 2013 at 2:15 pm
  we have to help people  

animelover said...
on Feb. 1 2013 at 2:14 pm
My opinion about this article is that bullying should stop because it have cause a lot of trouble to the person and the family as a result. 

xochitl123 said...
on Feb. 1 2013 at 2:12 pm
I agree with your article it needs to stop and the victims should stand up to the bullies

on Feb. 1 2013 at 2:10 pm
I like this article it is very interesting and I agree with you because bullying needs to stop

bboyslide said...
on Feb. 1 2013 at 9:31 am
I say it'll be a risk-taker for me to help others if their bully, because I don't like people having the feeling of suicide because bullying, I don't want people to get hurt also. So it will be an honor to help the victim if he /she is bullied. Bullying is one fo thing that hurts people the most. sometime when my friends or anyone in school is bullied they come up and talk to me, I told them just stay away from them and someday they will stop bullying you.

Amazing said...
on Feb. 1 2013 at 9:24 am
I agree with your opinon.I believe that bullying should stop No matter what if you were the one who was always bullied and now you think you became the bigger person and do what you like.It don't mean you were that person and you have to do it to others.What does it takes to make a better community?Show respect to each other even if you dislike them.