Should Students Get Less Homework

By dancingdiva333 BRONZE, Boulder, Colorado
dancingdiva333 BRONZE, Boulder, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"Everything is beautiful, but not everyone see's it"

When a student gets home they usually sit down at the table and pull out their homework. Piles of papers rise all the way to the ceiling. “Do I have to do all of this tonight? It’s due tomorrow, but I can’t finish this all in time!” the student complains. American students should get less homework on a daily basis because too much can cause a great deal of stress, too much time is required to complete it, and it impacts free time and sleep.

Too much homework can cause stress in a student and lead to health issues in the body and mind. Homework related anxiety and stress can affect school work negatively. Stress causes lack of sleep, slipping grades, fatigue, unhealthy eating habits, depression, and many more factors. According to a 2006 poll, 80 percent of teens don’t get the recommended amount of sleep. At least 28 percent fall asleep in school and 22 percent fall asleep doing homework(‘Summary Findings of the 2006 Sleep in America Poll’, www.nationalsleepfoundation,org). In the film Race to Nowhere, the people working on the film interview multiple students and many of them talk about having nervous breakdowns or being very stressed; some even talked about getting depressed because of all the homework in school and depression can even lead to suicide. Nervous breakdowns can make completing homework much more of a struggle and also effect the health and life of a student.

Kids are doing more than the recommended amount each night, with no academic benefits. The recommended amount is 10 minutes times the grade level, so first grade gets 10 minutes, second grade gets 20 minutes, third grade gets 30 minutes, and so on, but kids are doing much more than that. (Homework, www.wikipedia.org) Twenty three percent of 13-year-olds do more than 2 hours a night. The more the students do, the less they get out of doing it. There is no academic benefit for high school students after 2 hours and there are no academic benefits for middle school students after 1 and a half hours. (‘As Homework Grows, So Do Arguments Against It’, www.washingtonpost.com)

Doing homework all night can take away a student's free time and sleep. Always doing homework can lead to less family time and less time for activities. It creates less time for sports and after school activities. Family time is also decreased which can add more family conflict. Hanging out with friends is decreased, so that means there is less socializing. Staying up late and doing homework takes away a student’s time to sleep. Sleep deprivation can cause stress and many more factors. Not enough sleep can leave a student tired, and at school they might focus less or fall asleep during class. Then the student gets in trouble for falling asleep. Homework is taking away a students childhood, no one wants that, do they?

School students in America should get less homework on a daily basis. Too much homework can cause stress and other health issues. Also, students are working more than the recommended amount of time on homework, and this takes away from family time and free time, as well as time for sleep. When it comes to doing homework, students also want time to relax and enjoy other activities. Shouldn’t students get less homework so that they can be happy and have more time with family and friends? Administrators, teachers, students, and parents need to address this issue and inform people about the effects of homework on students in America. If teachers and parents tried to reduce the amount of homework there would be a decrease in stress and anxiety and an increase in happiness! “Homework makes it so I can’t spend time with my kids and family and I resent it.” (Ms.Valette)

This is a persuasive essay that i wrote for my language arts class.

hihihihihi said...
on Jan. 23 2015 at 11:47 am
thanks again

hihihihihi said...
on Jan. 22 2015 at 11:53 am
it helped me with my school work.......lol

APStudent said...
on Jan. 14 2015 at 3:45 am
It may lack academic tone, but considering the fact that students in high school especially have too much homework and all of you "knowledgeable scholars" don't seem to think that writing an article to prove our point is on your list of priorities, I think this will be just fine. I'm not sure how things worked when you were a child, but socializing is rather important in this generation. Sometimes we need to talk to a friend to relieve the stress going on in our lives and we don't have time to do that because we have homework. Which evidently creates more stress. No, we don't need to "hang out" every day, but even if we wanted to, we can't because we don't have the time. We do have priorities, but thanks to school and homework, they're all jumbled up. Now, the list of priorities goes as such: school, homework, sleep, and food. Usually, we don't even make it to the latter. Not to mention, that we don't have space for socializing on that list anymore. So, English Professor, if you are the teacher your username claims you to be, how about you write an essay. I swear I'll read it and see if you do a better job of communicating the student's needs and true priorities.

angie56789 said...
on Jan. 12 2015 at 10:25 am
finaly i agree alot commite to sucide and stres because of how much homework there is

hiwassup said...
on Dec. 15 2014 at 2:04 am
THANK YOU!!!!!!!   

sumdog2000 said...
on Dec. 4 2014 at 10:14 am
This is a awesome essay dont let this "EnglishProf" bring you down with a rude comment.  

EnglishProf said...
on Nov. 10 2014 at 11:17 am
I do appreciate some of the information in this essay, but it is not extremely well written by any means. It lacks academic tone. In order for an essay such as this to make an impact, it should sound like an account made by a knowledgable scholar. The idea that homework takes time away from socializing is a very weak point. Perhaps it could be made stronger if it were explained more, but students need to have priorities. Of course a social life is important, but students do not need to be "hanging out" with friends every day of the week. 

Daddy808 said...
on Sep. 16 2014 at 8:07 pm
Which School Has Done This ?

TasterMonl said...
on Jun. 23 2014 at 6:00 pm
Sorry... I'm not from America, is your point limited to American students, or is this a world-wide article?

on Mar. 11 2014 at 10:48 pm
KazuoKatiushi, Tucson, Arizona

"Look so," he said. He'd taken to calling me "son" a lot. It made me feel like he'd stopped thinking me as a kind of half-formed larva that needed to be guided out of adolsence. I hated it.

dancingdiva333, . "Should Students Get Less Homework."Teen Ink. Emerson Media. Web. 11 Mar 2014. <TeenInk.com/opinion/school_college/article/311885/Should-Students-Get-Less-Homework/?page=1>.   Just use Son of Citation Machine

on Mar. 11 2014 at 10:44 pm
KazuoKatiushi, Tucson, Arizona

Thanks for this essay! I'm using it for my own Language Arts class :P We're creating a political party and an issue is having too much homework. So thanks for the information!

Cxhyly said...
on Jan. 22 2014 at 8:21 pm
Can someone cite this in MLA form please??

Umm-e-roman said...
on Nov. 25 2013 at 9:56 am
thanks alot!!!!!! it greatly influenced my essay  by the way NO HOMEWORK FROM NOW

KualJiel69 said...
on Nov. 13 2013 at 2:19 pm
This is so rad, dawg. Mi H0m3work is really good now. #BossinOut

on Oct. 31 2013 at 11:31 am
Thank you so much for the info

on Oct. 21 2013 at 7:45 am
Yah same, helped me alot with homework of my own.

Yo Mama said...
on Jun. 2 2013 at 5:46 pm
This is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C-Dog63 said...
on May. 19 2013 at 5:31 pm
thank you you essay really help me with my home work

skittles said...
on Apr. 24 2013 at 9:50 am
im also doing a report thenks for the help

kittykat578 said...
on Apr. 11 2013 at 4:45 pm
i hate homework less homework 4 ever

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!