Should Students Get Less Homework

When a student gets home they usually sit down at the table and pull out their homework. Piles of papers rise all the way to the ceiling. “Do I have to do all of this tonight? It’s due tomorrow, but I can’t finish this all in time!” the student complains. American students should get less homework on a daily basis because too much can cause a great deal of stress, too much time is required to complete it, and it impacts free time and sleep.

Too much homework can cause stress in a student and lead to health issues in the body and mind. Homework related anxiety and stress can affect school work negatively. Stress causes lack of sleep, slipping grades, fatigue, unhealthy eating habits, depression, and many more factors. According to a 2006 poll, 80 percent of teens don’t get the recommended amount of sleep. At least 28 percent fall asleep in school and 22 percent fall asleep doing homework(‘Summary Findings of the 2006 Sleep in America Poll’, www.nationalsleepfoundation,org). In the film Race to Nowhere, the people working on the film interview multiple students and many of them talk about having nervous breakdowns or being very stressed; some even talked about getting depressed because of all the homework in school and depression can even lead to suicide. Nervous breakdowns can make completing homework much more of a struggle and also effect the health and life of a student.

Kids are doing more than the recommended amount each night, with no academic benefits. The recommended amount is 10 minutes times the grade level, so first grade gets 10 minutes, second grade gets 20 minutes, third grade gets 30 minutes, and so on, but kids are doing much more than that. (Homework, www.wikipedia.org) Twenty three percent of 13-year-olds do more than 2 hours a night. The more the students do, the less they get out of doing it. There is no academic benefit for high school students after 2 hours and there are no academic benefits for middle school students after 1 and a half hours. (‘As Homework Grows, So Do Arguments Against It’, www.washingtonpost.com)

Doing homework all night can take away a student's free time and sleep. Always doing homework can lead to less family time and less time for activities. It creates less time for sports and after school activities. Family time is also decreased which can add more family conflict. Hanging out with friends is decreased, so that means there is less socializing. Staying up late and doing homework takes away a student’s time to sleep. Sleep deprivation can cause stress and many more factors. Not enough sleep can leave a student tired, and at school they might focus less or fall asleep during class. Then the student gets in trouble for falling asleep. Homework is taking away a students childhood, no one wants that, do they?

School students in America should get less homework on a daily basis. Too much homework can cause stress and other health issues. Also, students are working more than the recommended amount of time on homework, and this takes away from family time and free time, as well as time for sleep. When it comes to doing homework, students also want time to relax and enjoy other activities. Shouldn’t students get less homework so that they can be happy and have more time with family and friends? Administrators, teachers, students, and parents need to address this issue and inform people about the effects of homework on students in America. If teachers and parents tried to reduce the amount of homework there would be a decrease in stress and anxiety and an increase in happiness! “Homework makes it so I can’t spend time with my kids and family and I resent it.” (Ms.Valette)

Meme$$$$$$$$ said...
Thank you so much I found the information I needed thank you thank you thank you thank you I need it all that help all that time and I didn't even look it up 123$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$¢$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Kingjay replied...
Wackkkk

faoliatiama said...
my XL class had a disagreement on weather sleep affects us middle and High school teens and I think that that it definitely does beacause we have to get up early for high school we have to be in school by 6:49 in the morning and I have to be at the bus stop by 7:30

Jada Murrey said...
Apr. 4, 2016 at 11:16 am
I used these points on my essay.... It helped alot

Someone said...
Apr. 4, 2016 at 11:15 am
i think kids need less homework because of them having lack of sleep.... i can relate to this.

lizmaria140This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
It seems that your article might need more support. You're using the same sort of logic as your opponent by asking others to think deeper (like selecting a candidate based on more than just obvious, unimportant details) while only choosing a female candidate because she is female. True, we need a female president. But simply choosing her because she is female, and not looking at important factors like how her ideas will affect America, is not a strong argument.

angela499@gmail.com said...
i do want to learn but the teachers gives us aLOT of homework and we kids dont like it

angela499@gmail.com said...
homework is boring it makes us kids sleep and get tired

dontknow said...
Mar. 11, 2016 at 11:34 am
ommmmi i used some notes for my argumentive essay

BrenanIsDumb said...
I agree homework sucks and thanks this helped me with my assignment

sallysunshine said...
This article helped me out with my essay a lot

tinnnyyyy said...
I totally agree

loveanimaljam.com said...
thanks now i have information thanks so so much

heywil said...
Jan. 26, 2016 at 11:53 am
I agree a lot. Thanks! I'm using this to help me in a project! See ya!

dragonborn said...
I agree with everyone who hates homework

SushiSnake replied...
May 6, 2016 at 11:44 am
Homework stinks!!!

SushiSnake replied...
May 6, 2016 at 11:44 am
Homework stinks!!!

SushiSnake replied...
May 6, 2016 at 11:44 am
Homework stinks!!!

Use deodorant replied...
Jan. 23, 2017 at 11:50 am
Use deodorant

JillySt. said...
Amazing! Love it:)