iPods in School | Teen Ink

iPods in School

By kellydog10 GOLD, Hawthorn Woods, Illinois
kellydog10 GOLD, Hawthorn Woods, Illinois

Music's blaring in his ears. He taps his pencil against his desk and stares blankly at the worksheet the teacher gave him. There's a test tomorrow and he doesn't have a clue what's going on. Sure, he could have been listening to the review game that's being played, but he is too busy listening to his favorite artist. Deciding against listening studying, he ducks his head and continues to shuffle through the music on his IPod.

Stated above is a world that foolishly allowed children the right to use IPods during school hours. As you can see, the example child seems distracted, unable to independently make choices, and cannot ever hear his teacher above the noise provided by the IPod. I believe we should not allow children to use their IPods in school.

Why not? The children may argue. First of all, IPods used in school are a huge distraction. Children just can't listen to two noises at once. In a study conducted by top proffessors in the world this point is clearly made. This study showed that 75% of children worked less efficently when listening to music. This is proved that the loss of concentration is due to the music. On the other hand, music just isn't distracting because it makes noise. It can also be widely distrating because people want to understand what the singer is saying. Personally, I have experienced this. While listening to music in class, I find myself spending more time trying to decifer what is being said and less time doing my work. Listening to music causes a staggering drop in efficency. Studies have shown up to a 50% efficently loss. Loss of efficentcy is not how we want to prepare children. With enough distractions in the world, efficentcy loss is the last thing we need.

Still claim you are actually twice as efficent while listening to music? Well, did you know that letting the children have the choice to listen to music has another downfall: children are just too young to make independant choices. Why do you think the youth isn't allowed to vote? Reality has many good examples of the youth making choices on their own and the consequences they faced later on. Pregent teens, dead children, you name it! Studies clearly display that children can't be trusted with something as important as their education. For example, 99.9% of children say they have faced many times in their schooling career that they wish they would have listened to an adult about. This includes things like studying for tests and doing homework. And this is without the distraction of music! With music, we would have yet another device to help us drown out the pleads of our parents and teachers. The yputh of this world needs guidence from our elders... we can't damage theor education like that.

Finally, if all that still doesn't have everyone convinced, this will. The odvidous fact that you can't hear your teacher with the music blasting in your ears is too true to deny. If we can't hear our teachers, we can't learn. no instructions, lessons, or hints for that upcoming test will be able to reach us, resulting in diastorous grades. How can we learn without our teachers' lessons? How would we know what we are doing? We couldn't and we wouldn't. Sometimes, the answers to these topics like listening to music in school are more logical then you think: with music playing, no one can hear the theacher. I know I have experienced many times like this, and I know first hand how much I was missing. We want the kids to leatn, not vice versa.

For all the reasons stated above and a million more leads to the correct statement that kids shouldn't be able to use their IPods in school. It distracts them, they can't make indepenent decisions, and they can't even hear their teacher above the distracting enviroment music creates. Protect the children's education, and don't let the average kid become a mirror of the horror child that I created in the begining.

on Mar. 5 2013 at 1:16 am
A lot of specialists state that loans aid people to live their own way, because they are able to feel free to buy necessary things. Furthermore, various banks give consolidation loan for all people.

i think we should becauz it better then sitin in class

ffffffffffff said...
This is so stupid ipods should be allowed

on Jan. 17 2011 at 1:13 am
nobodyanymore, Austin, Texas

Very nice article. You obviously did your research. [:

However, I do feel that sometimes certain types of music helps me concentrate more. Sometimes in art I wish I could listen to my iPod when I need inspiration, or have background music while working equations in math. I think perhaps iPods should be allowed as an award, or a privilege- it would be nice if students with good grades would be allowed to listen to their music if they wanted to. Not during lessons of course, but if they're responsible enough they should be able to choose whether they want to listen to their iPod or not.

on Jan. 16 2011 at 7:03 am

In my english school, we are not allowed to listen to ipods at school. However would we hear what the teacher is saying with two blocks in ourr ears blaring music? But we ARE allowed to listen to music when we are just working, not listening. I think this is the way to go about it.

I feel that the whole ipods in lessons is stupid. you would not concentrate!

julian GOLD said...
julian GOLD, Eugene, Oregon

The goal is not about living forever, the goal is about creating something that can.

This is a very well written article, but I just have to say that although there are many kids like the ones you described, many teens are very responsible and independent. I feel it a disgrace that teens have a reputation for being slackers. Teens have started organizations to help people, and the world itself. I just wanted to add another view point, but well written article!