Censorship in High School, Blinding us from the Truth | Teen Ink

Censorship in High School, Blinding us from the Truth

By courtneyloux13 SILVER, West Sand Lake, New York
courtneyloux13 SILVER, West Sand Lake, New York

"Dreams come true only for those who have the courage to take action."

High school is supposed to be a place for teenagers to start getting exposed to what society calls “the real world.” But as I learn about censorship in school and how classic books like Catcher in the Rye are being banned, I start to realize how high school students aren’t being exposed; they’re being blinded by society’s guidelines and ignorant people.

For example, Catcher in the Rye by: J.D. Salinger has a homosexual reference and a minor scene that deals with prostitution and for those two reasons (along with some others I’m sure) the book has been challenged countless amount of times by people who view those things as inappropriate for high school students. Well those people obviously haven’t been to high school in a while. In high school you have students who label themselves as gay and sex isn’t an unknown topic either especially with high school health classes that properly educate students in sex.

Catcher in the Rye isn’t the only book out there that has been banned for its “inappropriateness.” Books like To Kill a Mockingbird, Harry Potter, and Alice in Wonderland are just a few other popular titles that are often challenged.

The point I’m trying to make is this, if high school is preparation for the “real world” and college, how are students suppose to gain life experience and knowledge when all societies and even parents try to do, is blind them from the truth? Do some books students read in school contain very little of what could be referred to as inappropriate language or content? Yes. But do people in the “real world” swear and talk about sexuality and violence that goes on around us? Yes. I’m not saying a fifth grader should go pick up a copy of Catcher in the Rye, no but I am saying that as a student I can say that high school isn’t preparing us to deal with life issues, it’s blinding us from the truth.

Just my views. Agree or disagree, your choice.

on Oct. 3 2010 at 11:58 am
Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia

"il piu nell' uno," (according to Emerson, an Italian expression for beauty)

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" ~Emily Dickinson

"The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain"
~Kahlil Gibran

Very true, and your points are completely valid. I found it especially outrageous that To Kill a Mockingbird was banned.

Thanks for writing this...

on Oct. 1 2010 at 10:20 pm
KunaiNinjaFighter SILVER, Monticello, Arkansas

"Think left and thing right, Think low and Think High, Oh the thinks you can think up, if only you try!" Dr. Suess oh and "Two things are infinite: The Universe and Human Stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.'- Albert Einstein

I totally agree. I rread an article on Yahoo! about how a school in Oregon (Ithink it was) had banned The Diray of Anne Frank because it had Anne talking about how she was developing a bit of a crush on the boy (whos name escapes me). Also, my school blocked YouTube, Facebook, Myspace, and another multiple of sites that they deemed immoral, untasteful, or just plain stupid.