Censorship in High School, Blinding us from the Truth | Teen Ink

Censorship in High School, Blinding us from the Truth

September 24, 2010
By courtneyloux13 SILVER, West Sand Lake, New York
courtneyloux13 SILVER, West Sand Lake, New York
8 articles 2 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Dreams come true only for those who have the courage to take action."


High school is supposed to be a place for teenagers to start getting exposed to what society calls “the real world.” But as I learn about censorship in school and how classic books like Catcher in the Rye are being banned, I start to realize how high school students aren’t being exposed; they’re being blinded by society’s guidelines and ignorant people.

For example, Catcher in the Rye by: J.D. Salinger has a homosexual reference and a minor scene that deals with prostitution and for those two reasons (along with some others I’m sure) the book has been challenged countless amount of times by people who view those things as inappropriate for high school students. Well those people obviously haven’t been to high school in a while. In high school you have students who label themselves as gay and sex isn’t an unknown topic either especially with high school health classes that properly educate students in sex.

Catcher in the Rye isn’t the only book out there that has been banned for its “inappropriateness.” Books like To Kill a Mockingbird, Harry Potter, and Alice in Wonderland are just a few other popular titles that are often challenged.

The point I’m trying to make is this, if high school is preparation for the “real world” and college, how are students suppose to gain life experience and knowledge when all societies and even parents try to do, is blind them from the truth? Do some books students read in school contain very little of what could be referred to as inappropriate language or content? Yes. But do people in the “real world” swear and talk about sexuality and violence that goes on around us? Yes. I’m not saying a fifth grader should go pick up a copy of Catcher in the Rye, no but I am saying that as a student I can say that high school isn’t preparing us to deal with life issues, it’s blinding us from the truth.


The author's comments:
Just my views. Agree or disagree, your choice.