Who Decides Normality? | Teen Ink

Who Decides Normality?

I have recently read a small passage on the subject of normality. Here is my opinion. Who is to say that something is normal? What makes someone normal when there is no such thing as normal? Normality is a delusion created by us. No one is normal. Because no one can decide what is normal. Now, poeple who only laugh once in a while, wear decently arranged clothing, receive good grades and are not crazy or out going are NORMAl. But who says that. That is average. Average is not normal. Normal is just a word given a questionable meaning. Normal is something that will never happen. Normal is a decision not made, in a way.

I read an aricle that was titled "What is Normal?" I always think of stuff like that. Who decides what is normal or perfect. Its all opinion, I guess. Did this passage even make sense? It probably didnt, but as a writer, you just have to spill everything in your mind.

on Aug. 22 2010 at 12:50 pm
alaskatrailmutt, Jefferson, Maryland
I completly agree that made awesome amounts of sence :) My deffinition of "normal" is if you can be completly sterotyped down to the core (the grops of girls who when you visted fl. where JUST like the girls at home!!!! As a example) they are normal. Or they want to be anyway. Thats just me though lol.

on Aug. 17 2010 at 5:13 pm
pageturner PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York

It's okay to daydream.. just as long as you get to do some of those daydreams.

I agree with you too. Why are there all these damn labels? Some people don't think I'm normal. Well, what's normal to them? A slutty girl, who wears way too much eyeliner?

on Aug. 15 2010 at 2:24 am
theatercamper112 SILVER, Lemont, Illinois

Do what you want to not what anyone else tells you to.

I agree with you. I did enjoy it. you are right and that there is no such thing as normal but we like to put in our heads that there is or that we should be a certain way for people .