To Home-School, or Not to Home-School

A lot of students from middle school and high school don't like going to school. Either they don't like to learn, they don't like the other students who go there, or they just don't like the overall environment. That is why home-schooling has been brought up numerous times, whether someone’s friend experiences it, one longs for it themselves, or even a parent insists upon it. With the economy suffering and some of the kids at school having a hard time fitting in, from the exterior, home schooling seems like the perfect solution. But when you really look at the situation, it’s really not ideal — for the student nor the parent.

If a student is struggling academically or they just don't like school in general, their friends are most likely the main reason why they don't have a temper tantrum before going to school each morning. Friends are an important part of a students life; it’s important for teens to experience having people they trust and rely on. Having a good friend teaches them something just as important as math or science. If a student or parent insisted on home schooling, he or she would miss a very vital aspect of growing up and they could potentially have issues making friends or fitting in when they’re older. Although being pulled from school on account of social reasons could solve the problem at that moment, it wouldn't disappear forever.

In the second place, being schooled at home isn’t the same as being taught at school when it comes to the academics. Most parents willing to step up to the plate aren’t qualified to teach their child the specific standards needed to be known during these years. Additionally, that parent isn’t being paid for this time-consuming job, which means that the entire family has to rely on only one income. Teachers at the school dedicate their time and money to teaching, while parents have other duties to worry about; for example: cooking, cleaning, and most importantly, parenting their child. They don’t have time to teach their daughter or son the needed curriculum, and even if they tried, it wouldn't be done nearly as well as the educated teachers at the schools.

In conclusion, deciding to home-school your child is not the best idea. When it comes to learning or making friends, leaving the student in school and letting them deal with their problems is better than pulling them out. Although it may be a difficult decision to make and agree on between the parents and a child, just remember this: No matter how far you run or where you hide, you can’t run away from yourself.

IvyAnnxox said...
If A student is struggling acedemically being at home in a quiet safe from judgement enviroment would be the ideal learning space. As for friends there are a lot of groups for homeschooling. The child should be the main priority of any parents life. As for the parenting, I belive it is controlled a lot better when the child is homeschooled. I will admit that the one income thing dose get a little stressful at times, byt shouldn't having a close well-working family relationship be more import... (more »)

IvyAnnxox replied...
Though may I say your A very good writer.

ShontelleSymone said...
People also forget that there are different types of homeschools. I think the one I am in is better because I have been in both publich school, and i am currently enrolled in a cyber school ( school on the computer). I have good teachers who take the time to help me with the little details that I may have trouble in via the computer or the phone. Statistics also show that we have a better education and we are more likely to succeed in college. And you know those stereotypes?  All  lies... (more »)

ShontelleSymone said...
I went to a public school for a few years until I transferred to a cyber school ( school on the computer). Its not as bad a s people think. The work is more challenging, I actually learn stuff, The teachers actually give a flying crap about me and my education. Statistics show that we do better in college than kids in public schools. Also, the stereotype that we all are lazy and fat isnt true. Most of the kids that I see via web cam are a healthy weight for their age. I go to brazilian jiu jitsu... (more »)

ithinkican said...
Oct. 31, 2010 at 11:38 am
great write!

pieislife said...
Oct. 31, 2010 at 11:37 am
youre a great writer. even though people may not necessarily agree with the topic, it's undeniable that this was written well and intelligently

thewriteidea This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 31, 2010 at 11:56 am
thank you so much :)

yesforyou said...
Oct. 31, 2010 at 11:36 am
i really like this! its definitely a controversial subject and you portrayed it very well

AsIAm This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Okay, to get this out in the open, I really liked this.  You're writing was very good. :)

But.... you aren't necessarily right.  I have NO idea what would happen if you took a "schooler" and homeschooled them.  But, as a long-time homeschooler, I can truthfully say, that there are occasions when homeschooling is better.  Yes, some parents are NOT qualified - I have some friends who are what we call "no-schoolers" - grocery shopping is math, etc.  ... (more »)

i really liked your point of view. since this is an opinion piece, obviously there are going to be two sides to the argumemt. and i totally understand! in fact, i have friends that are home-schooled and they are great people, just a tad socially awkward. so that's where i got that piece of information from. but of course, as you pointed out, everyone is different. so thanks again for your feedback. i really enjoyed it!!

Lucylou said...

Oh, I know this was an opinion piece, and I'm not upset at all. Really. I've been homeschooled all the way through, and people have pegged our 'community' with these stereotypes all my life. I've never actually seen them so neatly grouped together before, though. When I ever I'm in public and have committed a social faux pas or am ignorant about something, I often just tell people, "Hey, what can you expect. I'm homeschooled." And I shrug my shoulders. Without fail it always makes e... (more »)

Well I understand where you are coming from, and it has been easier for me to understand the concept after listening to your perspective. I am definitely not against your way of life because obviously everyone is different. I'm so glad that you are content with your life because that's really all that matters in the end!

Lucylou said...

Oh man, this really gave me a good laugh. I cannot believe... *sigh*

Have you ever been home-schooled? At all? Do you have any reliable experiences? How many home-schoolers do you know? It sounds like your circle of friends are somewhat limited to what your school had to offer. 

Homeschooling is not 'missing out' on 'vital' parts of life, like friends and such, it's about living real life, in the real world. While everyone was i school eight hours a day, I was cleaning the ... (more »)

Wow, I'm sorry this seemed to upset you so much! I wrote this as an essay for school, so I am no that passionate about this subject. I am so glad that homeschooling has been such a great experience for you. Everyone is different though. This was just my opinon. That's why I submitted this into the *opinon* piece. And yes, I do know people who have been home-schooled and I did quite a lot of research on this. Again, sorry this upset you so much. My take on this was just the average group of people.

poohbear777 said...
Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:40 am
I enjoyed reading your opinion, and thank you for talking about a controversial subject.  I'm pretty sure that home school is a good option for some, but my concern would be that the student might be exposed to fewer perspectives in a home school.  There could be an increased risk that a home schooler could become narrow-minded.

jill456 said...
this is a poem that some may not agree with. since you did an opinion piece its impossible to have everyone agree with you. but i love how you wrote this! along with poetry you have a talent for essay-writing. great job!

ReflectionsofYou said...
Apr. 5, 2010 at 10:25 am

Most homeschooled teens can teach themselves, and follow their own schedule to meet a deadline. Just bcasue they aren't schooled in the "traditional" way doesn't mean they are deprived at all. Unless they failed to plan properly.

sigh. I don't know why everyone assumes we're socially inept just because we're home 4 hour a day doing school work. I don't have a ton of friends but it's for an entirely dfferent reason......

A. replied...
Thanks for your opinion. Of course I don't mean to categorize anyone who is home schooled. What I wrote in this piece doesn't apply to everyone who is home-schooled. However based on some statistics, that is the case fo many people. I always like to hear the other side of the argument, so thanks. And I'm glad you enjoy home-schooling.

ReflectionsofYou replied...

Cool, thanks :]

As for statistics- it is possable to do homescholing the wrong way. I've seen kids get kicked out of school and their parents think they can do homeschool, and the kid has a really hard time and then doesn't stay on grade level. Some even degenerate :/ There's a right way to do it- to actually accomplish the famlies goals. It's just said that some don't get all they could out of it.... 

ClaraZornado This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

This is an interesting point of view. Up until 8th grade (2008) I was homeschooled my entire life. I am now in my freshman year of high school. My parents unschooled my whole family; we didn't have a regular curriculum, no daily work. Although homeschooling/unschooling is not for all, there is a ton of freedom, an abundance, involved. Some people cannot/will not handle it. I couldn't be happier in school now, though. I needed more of a challenge for myself, academically. I'm in all College Pr... (more »)