School Uniform

I know how it feels like to wake up one morning and feel like you want to wear sweat pants all day long. I have had uniforms at my school since my freshmen year in high school. Like many others, I was opposed to wearing school uniforms because I was afraid of blending in and not being able to stand out. But after a few months I realized that many of my peers actually looked more professional in the standard school attire. Even though we had limitations on what we could and could not wear I saw that there were many unique ways to dress up the uniform. I find having the uniform at my school as a positive reinforcement because it trains us for upcoming job professions. Most of my peers will not have the right to choose what they want to wear at work and will have to abide by the dress code guidelines. From my view the dress code has reduced class room disruptions and it has also helped the student body mature.

LoveOfWords said...
Mar. 21, 2010 at 2:19 am
I go to an English school and they're way into their uniforms. I don't think I would mind it - it helps to set a working mood, on "mufti" days no one concentrates - but I hate it. Half of it is unnessisary and it's all expensive. And then the teachers yell at you when you forget it. I think uniform can be good in moderation, but if you overdo it it's just somthing else to worry about. I think dress codes are the best option because they allow some creativity without... (more »)

atue-awesomeness. replied...
Mar. 21, 2010 at 10:50 am
I completely agree with you and see your view point. My school was very strict and over did the whole dress code in the beginning. After a couple of months the student council proposed a new policy which allowed students to be creative it, but still maintained the original dress codes policy.

LoveOfWords replied...
Oh, so it was really unreasonable at first for you, too?
My school is ridiculous. The uniform we have to keep track of weighs more than the little ones do! And that costs a lot especially when you add the price of replacing what you lost.
I think uniform should help and not hinder. In dance there's so much uniform. Then when you lose it (even though you don't need it anyway) the teacher lectures you for five minutes, then blames the delay on you!
Was your school l... (more »)

atue-awesomeness. replied...
Do you mean it was unreasonable for the student council to propose a new dress code? If so, I do not think so. We able to have what the student body wanted and what the administration wanted. I think your school may be over doing the dress code at your school. My school has limitations on what we can and cannot wear but they still allow to display our own style. It seems as if maybe your school administration is not really focused on eliminating class room distractions but more concerned on the ... (more »)

naturelover123 said...
Uniforms are cool...I wouldn't mind having them at my school.

J. Rae said...
I go to a private school that goes from preschool to eighth grade and when I was in second grade they made a dress code. At first I hated it, but then I realized that dress code helped because there was no competition for who could wear better clothes adn no one was made fun of because of what they wore.

ninjaeatcookie replied...
Same at my old school. I didn't mind them too much, since I've had them all my life, but I think some school should lighten up on the dress code. I remember we used to get detention if we forgot to wear a belt or if our shoes were too 'distracting'.
On the other hand, I miss having to wear uniforms sometimes. Now, I actually have to put thought into what I have to wear the next morning because people judge you by the way you look and all that fun stuff.

J. Rae replied...
At my school there are "Dress Code offenders" for no tucking your shirt in or wearing a belt. If you get one then you have to eat lunch in a special room where you can't talk to your friends. I think that is unreasonable. There was a girl in my class who wore a skirt that was too short, but it was right above the knee! Teachers should take it easy, but in general I do like the dress code system.