Chewing gum | Teen Ink

Chewing gum

“ Abby....” said the teacher

“ Yes..”

“ What are you eating?”

“ Gum...”

“Go spit it out.”

“Oh My Gosh ... Fine”

“Don’t do it again, it’s disruptive.”

Is that what happens to you? Well I know this happens to me, and I am sick of it. It is time we make a protest.

Do you get bored in class, or you can’t concentrate during the big science exam? Well research has shown that chewing gum in school can improve concentration and proves that paying attention is easier. It can also help relieve stress, such as taking tests, and getting projects, and homework in on time. Along with the social and emotional problems, that comes with everyday life.

Some of the health benefits of chewing gum are that it freshens breath, but better yet it increases saliva, which helps defend your teeth against plaque and other dental disease. Such as cavities, which would help families out because with no cavities comes less dentist visits which saves the family money. Also less time and pain spent on filling cavities. I don’t know about you but I would like to live a cavity free life.

Another big reason is that chewing gum is cheap, low in calories, and fits in your pocket for easy management. At about 10 calories per piece, it is a good way to keep children from snacking and may help the rate of obesity in kids decrease.

Now don’t get me wrong. Students sometimes do not dispose of their gum correctly. However the reason that kids don’t throw out their gum and stick it under the tables instead is that they are afraid of teachers finding it and them getting themselves in trouble, or having to go spit it out an be embarrassed because they got caught, but if students could chew gum and not have to hide it then they would probably dispose of it properly.

Some teachers and schools have taken this info into account and allowed their students to chew gum. They encouraged them to chew it during class to improve concentration on tests, and according to their school board; scores have improved.

Wrigley's gum has been acting on a study about kids concentrating and getting better grades when chewing gum. This is what they did... First of all students were divided in two groups. One group was allowed to chew gum during class and homework times. The other group was not allowed to have gum at all.

After the study was over, they discovered a 3 percent increase in the children's math tests. I know that does not seem like a lot, but it is an increase. Overall students who chewed gum had a better final grade, than the kids that didn’t chew gum.

So, I believe that student’s should have the right to chew gum during class. There are definitely more positive outcomes than negative.

I wanted to make a statement

Rere joseph said...
on Apr. 27 2016 at 11:04 am
I loved the article it was a blast you gave me an opportunity to make our principal make us chew gum ❤️❤️❤️❤️

pens-are-mightier-than-swords SILVER, Caledonia, Michigan

"we often put up walls not to keep people out, but to see who cares enough to break them down"
~Author Unknown

Good point, well written, good details. I don't know how many people are out there like me, but I absolutely cannot focus when people around me are chewing gum, or tapping pencils, or bouncing their leg, or drumming their fingers. I am an A student, and I can sit still for hours reading a book or listening to someone talk, but as soon as someone starts chewing gum or picking at their fingers, bam, I cannot focus at all. I am not sure how many others are out there like me, but if there are many others, what about them?

Live&&Love said...
Mwaaaah x

Thanks, It's my first day back aaaaaaaaand BAM! Do an essay on why you think we should / shouldn't chew gum. You TOTALLY saved me! Thanks!

My name is Abby and i do believe we should chew gum i am doin a report about it right now lol!!! thx for sharin ur thoughts!!!:)

arthur said...
Good essay. But gum isnt cheap. I bought a 8 piece trident for a dollar fifty. It was gone in less than three days.... Imagine that for a year

daydreamer said...
i totally agree with this... today i got in trouble and have to write an essay on why you can't have it in school

kidsboy said...
our teacher say dont eat chew gum in class and in that they say eat gum i dont realy get that???

ms.luver said...
i agree with the text its so messed up that teachers dont let u chew gum

Destinee BRONZE, Oakville, Other

Blegh. - Abraham Lincoln

Protesting about gum? Seriously? Don't people have better things to protest about? 

foreverever008 BRONZE, Portland, Oregon

well nobodys allowed to have gum at my school.

so its like a drug trade, they keep it quiet sometimes it can get really funny.

gum is preized like gold at my school, ppl give away answers and their lunches and whatnot just for some gum

toxic.monkey SILVER, Tashkent, Other

"Homo homini lupus"

you're comparing chewing gum and going to the bathroom? maybe you also find people eating food distracting? people cracking their knuckles? blowing their nose? scratching their head?

toxic.monkey SILVER, Tashkent, Other

"Homo homini lupus"

never saw why gum is such a big deal at school. i agree with you about this

squirl46 said...
on May. 22 2010 at 8:36 am
Are you kidding me...there a alot of things that may be good for you that you don't get to do in public...it is healthly and necessary to go to the bathroom everyday but you don't do that in class do you?  People who chew gum to the point that a teacher notices is a selfish self centered idiot..look at yourself in the mirror next time you chew gum..it can make the most attractive person look ugly..If you are in school and this is what you are concerned about...your parents are wasting their time and money..consider other people..its not all about you.  To Thinker...speak for your self...gum is distracting to watch and listen to...Are you kidding me? Clearly NOT a thinker

PayDay said...
on May. 18 2010 at 8:25 am

In this paper I will show you why we should have gum in school. Studies have proof that gum helps people consentrate. I will show you the facts in this paper. Please enjoy reading about this great debatable topic.

I’m doing research on gum in school. The original research began in 2001, the lead researcher was Professor Andrew Scholey. And later on, proved by the FMRIs reinforced his conclusions that gum, can in fact, improve your focus. Supported by Ezine Articles.

A newspaper named Los Angeles Times supports that studies have proved gum reduces stress, improves alertness, and relieves anxiety. But, those are in a laboratory setting. Now, the first study in people also supports gum boosts acedemic performance.

CNN is on the opposing side of this topic however. The Wrigley Science Institute said that they have proved gum distracts the other students because it makes loud chomping noises in the class. Many people agree with their conclusions.

Now you saw the facts and hopefully you agree with me that we should have gum in school, yes there are a couple of disadvantages but, I believe there happen to be more advantages. I have told you my views of this highly debatable topic. Now, it’s up to you, the reader, to decide.

This paper is from when I was in 8th grade I just had it saved in my documents I hope you enjoyed it!

softballchick, Waterboro, Maine
Thank you very much for agreeing with me thinker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thinker PLATINUM, Na, Connecticut

A wise word does not make the speaker wise.

There are a few things that are a good rebuttal, first of all mint causes blood to rush to the parts of your brain in the prefrontal cortex, and the frontal lobe, the thinking parts. Second, when you release stress stored in the jaw through chewing you can concentrate better. Lastly, the majority of people eat snacks because the need something to occupy their mouths. Not to mention that the posters on the walls are about ten times more destracting than any noise that can be made from gum. My facts are notated from the "John Tesh Radio Show" and from my public broadcast and communications class.

Tomboy GOLD said...
on May. 12 2010 at 10:24 am
Tomboy GOLD, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

"The human heart had hidden treasures; in secret kept; in silence sealed; the thoughts; the hopes; the dreams; the pleasures; whose charms were broken if revealed" - Charlotte Bronte

very good article.  i agree with the protest part

I cant wait to post positive comments!

on Feb. 9 2010 at 10:26 am
softballchick, Waterboro, Maine
Yes that is true that some kids dn't have much money but gum is chaep