Chewing gum

By , Waterboro, ME
“ Abby....” said the teacher

“ Yes..”

“ What are you eating?”

“ Gum...”

“Go spit it out.”

“Oh My Gosh ... Fine”

“Don’t do it again, it’s disruptive.”

Is that what happens to you? Well I know this happens to me, and I am sick of it. It is time we make a protest.

Do you get bored in class, or you can’t concentrate during the big science exam? Well research has shown that chewing gum in school can improve concentration and proves that paying attention is easier. It can also help relieve stress, such as taking tests, and getting projects, and homework in on time. Along with the social and emotional problems, that comes with everyday life.

Some of the health benefits of chewing gum are that it freshens breath, but better yet it increases saliva, which helps defend your teeth against plaque and other dental disease. Such as cavities, which would help families out because with no cavities comes less dentist visits which saves the family money. Also less time and pain spent on filling cavities. I don’t know about you but I would like to live a cavity free life.

Another big reason is that chewing gum is cheap, low in calories, and fits in your pocket for easy management. At about 10 calories per piece, it is a good way to keep children from snacking and may help the rate of obesity in kids decrease.

Now don’t get me wrong. Students sometimes do not dispose of their gum correctly. However the reason that kids don’t throw out their gum and stick it under the tables instead is that they are afraid of teachers finding it and them getting themselves in trouble, or having to go spit it out an be embarrassed because they got caught, but if students could chew gum and not have to hide it then they would probably dispose of it properly.

Some teachers and schools have taken this info into account and allowed their students to chew gum. They encouraged them to chew it during class to improve concentration on tests, and according to their school board; scores have improved.

Wrigley's gum has been acting on a study about kids concentrating and getting better grades when chewing gum. This is what they did... First of all students were divided in two groups. One group was allowed to chew gum during class and homework times. The other group was not allowed to have gum at all.

After the study was over, they discovered a 3 percent increase in the children's math tests. I know that does not seem like a lot, but it is an increase. Overall students who chewed gum had a better final grade, than the kids that didn’t chew gum.

So, I believe that student’s should have the right to chew gum during class. There are definitely more positive outcomes than negative.

mightierthanthesword said...
Good point, well written, good details. I don't know how many people are out there like me, but I absolutely cannot focus when people around me are chewing gum, or tapping pencils, or bouncing their leg, or drumming their fingers. I am an A student, and I can sit still for hours reading a book or listening to someone talk, but as soon as someone starts chewing gum or picking at their fingers, bam, I cannot focus at all. I am not sure how many others are out there like me, but if there are many o... (more »)

Live&&Love said...
Mwaaaah x

The Rehtorical Gamer said...
Thanks, It's my first day back aaaaaaaaand BAM! Do an essay on why you think we should / shouldn't chew gum. You TOTALLY saved me! Thanks!

daydreamer said...
Mar. 17, 2011 at 11:12 pm:
i totally agree with this... today i got in trouble and have to write an essay on why you can't have it in school

sallysunshine replied...
May 9, 2011 at 9:07 pm :
My name is Abby and i do believe we should chew gum i am doin a report about it right now lol!!! thx for sharin ur thoughts!!!:)

ms.luver said...
Feb. 15, 2011 at 10:23 pm:
i agree with the text its so messed up that teachers dont let u chew gum

Destinee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Protesting about gum? Seriously? Don't people have better things to protest about? 

Liozay123This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

well nobodys allowed to have gum at my school.

so its like a drug trade, they keep it quiet sometimes it can get really funny.

gum is preized like gold at my school, ppl give away answers and their lunches and whatnot just for some gum

toxic.monkey said...
Jul. 17, 2010 at 5:22 pm:
never saw why gum is such a big deal at school. i agree with you about this

squirl46 said...
May 22, 2010 at 8:36 am:
Are you kidding me...there a alot of things that may be good for you that you don't get to do in public...it is healthly and necessary to go to the bathroom everyday but you don't do that in class do you?  People who chew gum to the point that a teacher notices is a selfish self centered idiot..look at yourself in the mirror next time you chew gum..it can make the most attractive person look ugly..If you are in school and this is what you are concerned about...your parents are wasting their... (more »)

toxic.monkey replied...
Jul. 17, 2010 at 5:28 pm :
you're comparing chewing gum and going to the bathroom? maybe you also find people eating food distracting? people cracking their knuckles? blowing their nose? scratching their head?

PayDay said...
May 18, 2010 at 8:25 am:

In this paper I will show you why we should have gum in school. Studies have proof that gum helps people consentrate. I will show you the facts in this paper. Please enjoy reading about this great debatable topic.

I’m doing research on gum in school. The original research began in 2001, the lead researcher was Professor Andrew Scholey. And later on, proved by the FMRIs reinforced his conclusions that gum, can in f... (more »)

Tomboy said...
May 12, 2010 at 10:24 am:
very good article.  i agree with the protest part

Thinker replied...
May 12, 2010 at 12:43 pm :
There are a few things that are a good rebuttal, first of all mint causes blood to rush to the parts of your brain in the prefrontal cortex, and the frontal lobe, the thinking parts. Second, when you release stress stored in the jaw through chewing you can concentrate better. Lastly, the majority of people eat snacks because the need something to occupy their mouths. Not to mention that the posters on the walls are about ten times more destracting than any noise that can be made from gum. My fac... (more »)

whatup replied...
May 12, 2010 at 4:19 pm :
Thank you very much for agreeing with me thinker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zzakiya said...
Feb. 5, 2010 at 7:33 am:
i love how yo made all your points clearly...hink that kids like me should have gum in school...because if u got the drag then pop a piece of gum in your nouth and your breath is fresh...but i think of ppl who cant affored gum they'll be kinda mad that thy dnt have any

whatup replied...
Feb. 9, 2010 at 10:26 am :
Yes that is true that some kids dn't have much money but gum is chaep

Alexis@Teen Ink replied...
Apr. 20, 2010 at 7:36 pm :
I cant wait to post positive comments!

kidsboy replied...
Mar. 8, 2011 at 9:36 pm :
our teacher say dont eat chew gum in class and in that they say eat gum i dont realy get that???

arthur replied...
May 2, 2011 at 9:42 pm :
Good essay. But gum isnt cheap. I bought a 8 piece trident for a dollar fifty. It was gone in less than three days.... Imagine that for a year