A Sticky Situation | Teen Ink

A Sticky Situation

By Bubbles2280 BRONZE, Plainfield, Illinois
Bubbles2280 BRONZE, Plainfield, Illinois

A Chewy Situation

Chewing gum was the once forbidden snack for every school age child. In the year of 2005, chewing gum was named the number one snack choice by Americans. New research indicates chewing gum may be good for a number of things that include, increases focus, alertness, and concentration, helps students with ADD, improves IQ scores by about 15 points, relieving everyday stresses, better academic performance, and improves memory. (Limon 1)

Research shows that chewing gum in school should no longer be treated as contraband. Studies have been done to prove teachers wrong and promote the benefits of chewing gum in school. (Gajilan 1)

ADD students already have a hard enough time trying to stay focused, so why not ease some of the stress by allowing them to chew gum during school? Research shows that chewing gum helps increase focus, alertness, and concentration – which benefit ADD students. With the ADD students not being disruptive during class, like getting up and walking around, the teacher will be able to get through more of the lesson plan then resulting in putting the students ahead of the curriculum. By being ahead of the assigned curriculum, students will be more prepared for the following years’ courses.

ADD students aren’t the only the ones who struggle. Chewing gum during school can result in better academic performance. Students will have, better final grades, memory, reading-speed, and believe it or not, class attendance. Chewing gum will help promote better final grades by increasing the blood flow and delivering oxygen to the brain. Memory improvements will be made by up to 35% ("associated content" 1) - more things remembered such as, homework, information for a test, etc. Chewing gum can also increase your reading speed. While chewing when reading can increase your reading-speed by 80% says H. Bernard Wechsler. Lastly it will help with class attendance in two ways. The first way chewing gum during class will promote better class attendance is, research shows that students have been proven to take less breaks (such as, bathroom, water, nurse, etc.) during the school day. This helps with class again learn at a faster pace and be prepared for the following year. The second reason gum chewing affecting class attendance is, sugar-free gum (such as Wrigley Extra) can help prevent tooth decay therefore decreasing time out of class at the dentist.

Aside from helping academically, Research shows that chewing gum throughout the day relieves stress. The same thing applies when taking a test. While taking a test, the worry and stress of failing the test is gone or at least decreased. Some teachers have come up with the solution of chew the gum at home or off school property to get the same effect. Although this may sound like a legitimate excuse, it actually isn’t. In reality students are at school for about 7 hours a day therefore making it like their second home. Students spend more time at school than at home. The effect will not be the same. Research suggests that to get the effect of gum, you need to chew it every 3-4 hours – which is nearly impossible if students aren’t allowed to chew gum during school hours.

By allowing gum in school, schools would have a lot more money. Think, most too all students like gum, so if the school started selling it they would make tons of profit. Having the school sell gum can also result in less farting around in class to try and find somebody who has a piece of gum. By fundraising this way, the school would have more money to do things for the school, such as host more school dances, more fieldtrips, the money could also go to the teachers who buy candy for their class. In my opinion, students become more engaged in the class when there is some sort of prize. Then students are paying attention more during class, which leads to better final grades. It’s kind of like a chain reaction. School sells gum, students don’t have to worry about finding a piece of gum, teachers have more time to teach during class.

The way a chain reaction works is, one thing is based off of the other. So if teachers interrupt the process, the whole thing is ruined. Teachers are always telling students that the reason behind the gum policy is because students put the gum under desks, chairs, etc. Ask yourself this, why do kids really put gum under the desk? Here’s why, they are afraid of getting in trouble so they put it under the desk when they are done (which is really disgusting). But if students didn’t get in trouble for chewing gum then it would end up in the right place. My question is why can’t teachers give us the responsibility and then teach us how to use it, instead of completely taking it away from everybody when only a few people are doing it.

I may be wrong for wanting gum in school, teachers may have a deeper meaning as to why they don’t allow it, but in my opinion, all the positives over power the negatives of chewing gum in school.

Works cited
The Many Useful Benefits of Chewing Gum." associated content (2007): 1. Web. 9 Dec 2009.
<http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/401601/the_many_useful_benefits_of_chewing.html>.

Limon , Connie. "Chewing Gum Has Several Benefits." self growth (2007): 1. Web. 9 Dec 2009.
<http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/Chewing_Gum_Has_Several_Benefits.html>.

Gajilan, Chris. "Chew on this: Gum may be good for body, mind." CNNhealth 1. Web. 10 Dec

2009. <http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/22/chewing.gum.benefits/index.html>.

Pargaran SILVER, New Glasgow, Other

"Be who you are, and say what you feel. Because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

Gum's okay, (this really has nothing to do with the problem school's have with it) but isn't aspartame usually in it? That's supposedly bad for you. :/

MrPuffin BRONZE, Park City, Utah

“Write to be understood, speak to be heard, read to grow...”
(By LCP)

"Promise me you'll always remember: You are braver then you believe, stronger then you seem, and smarter then you think."
(Christiphor Robin to Pooh)

This is overall a great article.  I really like how you organized it. However, I think that it would improve the article if you included a few paragraphs from the point of vew of the people against chewing gum. Overall, though, I loved it!

Smoney said...
on Sep. 11 2012 at 8:52 am
Smoney, Wilmington, North Carolina
I sorta agree with this, but what about the kids that stick gum under the desks or just through it on the grounds in hallways?

on Jul. 28 2012 at 10:52 am
ClarinetPower SILVER, Macomb, Michigan
A pretty good article, but it would be more convincing if you spent more time addressing counterarguments.

never_before_seen BRONZE, Woodbridge, Virginia

"there is nothing to fear but fear itself."

I just chew toothpicks. way easier.

ScienceLover PLATINUM, Colden, New York
In my school, the teachers always said they banned gum in schools is the administrators told them to ban it. The reason behind this was because the janitors complained it ended up on the floors.

AugustusH20s said...
AugustusH20s, Thousand Oaks, California
Honestly I feel as though it's demeaning to not be able to chew gum in school. I mean, eating an entire meal in class I can see as a distraction, but as long as students aren't abusing their environment (desks) and are treated like equals with the teachers it's fine. xBri

maizyiscrazy GOLD, Washington, District Of Columbia

I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe in miracles. ~Audrey Hepburn

What makes you say this?

KARŞIYAKA said...
on Apr. 11 2012 at 1:18 am
No.

YAAAY! said...
Great article! You should be in debate. That would blow them away! :)

guesswho said...
Very good persuasive article. You made some very good points about allowing gum chewing in shool. I do know that it is a treat when the teachers allow gum chewing during a test. Maybe the kids should be given the chance and if it is abused then no more.

kcha1238290 said...
Very good! keep writing!

Techie said...
on Feb. 5 2010 at 8:44 am
Nice article and well done! Now, is it 1 stick every 3-4 hours or two?

kfsyq2 said...
on Feb. 3 2010 at 8:59 am
A very well researched and well written article. You have a familiar yet informative writing style. Excellent argument!

Mac Daddy said...
on Feb. 2 2010 at 7:43 am
As a teacher, I am impressed by your level of writing quality, insight, and citational use. These skills will certainly be of value as you progress in your educational career. But also as a teacher and a student for a number of years, the idea that students put gum under their desks etc is to avoid punishment may well be true. Yet, there are also many times when teachers will have students place the gum in a scrap of paper to be thrown away as well. I'm not entirely convinced that this is the only reason or argument and lesens the greater societal issue - being accountable for ones actions. Still, this was a great article and I encourage you to continue in all of your endeavours.

Auntie L said...
I knew there was a reason I liked chewing gum in school! Great job.

This is a well-supported argument for allowing gum chewing in school. It's also very well written! I'm convinced!

Mrs. C. said...
I enjoyed reading all the positive aspects of chewing gum in school. Really insightful! I'm not sure about increasing class attendance, but wouldn't that be great!

Kathy H said...
on Feb. 1 2010 at 6:38 am
What a thoughtful artilce with good citations. Very well and completely written. As a teacher myself, I do let my fifth grade students chew gum. I think your artilce does a wonderful job of persuading more teachers to permit gum in their classrooms.

Aunt Renee said...
I can totally understrand you logic and have no issue with it what every it take to help increase concentration levels and there for better test score this should be a no brainer.