Why Teachers Shouldn’t Give Homework Over Breaks | Teen Ink

Why Teachers Shouldn’t Give Homework Over Breaks

By jgosz20 GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin
jgosz20 GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin

Students highly anticipate the Thanksgiving and Winter breaks each year; however, they are starting to become more and more dreadful due to loads of busy work. These breaks should be free of homework so kids can relax, get rid of stress, and have fun without worrying about tons of projects.

Teachers should think about one major question: what’s the point of taking a break in the school year when homework is assigned? These days off should give students free time and an opportunity to take a break.
I know from recent experience that it’s incredibly stressful to have as many as four projects to do at the same time. Teachers have no consideration of workloads from other classes. We’d like to sit back and relax every now and then. Just a thought…
Another point to consider: by assigning more homework, it creates more work for the teacher. Why would anyone want to do that? I’m not a teacher, but I’m sure they’d like a break from busy work too! By giving homework over the breaks, teachers are stuck grading worksheets and papers for at least a week after the break…who likes that?
All teachers out there: the next time you consider giving a project over a long break, think about the consequences. Although these projects seem necessary for learning, they’re only creating stress and worry for students who are conscientious about getting all of their homework done.
By using class time to its fullest, projects and additional homework assignments shouldn’t be necessary. I understand we need homework to learn, but an overload of homework, say three to four projects due within days of each other, can create too much stress for students that are just trying to enjoy their high school experience.

on Feb. 4 2016 at 10:56 am
numberoneveronica,

why blend in when you were born to stand out?

i love you lol

on Feb. 4 2016 at 10:54 am
numberoneveronica,

no homework;);(

Teachers should give homework if they didn't students will get bad grades

camohill said...
Great Job! Can I use this and send it to my teacher?

starbuckskat said...

HEY. Guess what I'm doing over break?

-Studying for a Chapter 19 test for APEC

-Writing an essay

-Studying for an Honors Humanities test

-Doing an Honors Humanities project

-Doing APEC homework

-Doing Spanish homework

-Doing Math homework

-Studying for a math test

-Doing Spanish homework

What did ALL of my teachers say?

"It's okay, you have a week to do this. That's plenty of time."

Alright, sure, but there's this little thing called being a teenager, uhuh, it's new. It's where you have fun and enjoy thanksgiving and procrastinate your homework until Sunday night. And everybody does it.

SO GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR PRECIOUS FINALS when the homework you're giving is being procrastinated anyways, and giving you lower scores from people not doing it, and giving you more to grade, and being useless because people rushed through it, and only adding stress to teens lives.

THAT is why you should NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVERRRRRRRRR GIVE FREAKING HOMEWORK OVER THE FREAKING ONLY TIME TEENAGERS GET A FREAKING BREAK!!!!!!!!! AHH!!!!!!!!!!!

on Jul. 24 2011 at 7:26 am
ThisBreRulezYouSonnn BRONZE, Wake Forest, North Carolina

Be still, sad heart! and cease repining;
Behind the clouds is the sun still shining;
Thy fate is the common fate of all--
Into each life some rain must fall,
some days must be dark and dreary.
--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-1882)

I disagree 100%. Teachers assign homework because over break, we'll forget most of the material that we'll need for FINALSSS. It's for OUR benefit, not for punishment.

And students should toughen up about this, especially if they plan to go to college because college is NOT play-time.