Year Round School | Teen Ink

Year Round School

All year Round School
While most students are at home or on trips with family, some are in school working all summer long. This is not because they have summer school, but because their school switched to a year round school schedule. When my friends from different schools tell me they can’t have summer at all or spend it with me because their school uses year round school its sad and disappointing to hear. Year round school effects more people than the just the people that go to that school. About 3,000 schools follow this system around the country. Close to 34% people agree all schools should use this system, and about 66% say we shouldn’t. Year round school has its pros and cons. But it you ask me, traditional school is better.

Year round school effects your summer vacation trips in so many ways. When a school switches to year round school systems, it causes summer to disappear. Usually family vacations are planned around that time to see relatives, relax, spend time as a family, and more. A long vacation would not happen. This also means parents wouldn’t be able to see their kids very often. Some vacations during summer are spent differently. Some parents like to send their kids to a summer camp to be in the outdoors, spend time with friends, learn some nature facts, and to have fun. If all or most schools used year round school systems the camps would go down and suffer from no money to sponsor the camp. Summer camps would go away and cease to exist.

Students need a break from all the stress about test and quiz’s, and homework and studying. The students deserve a summer to refresh and take time off from school. In another persons opinion, long summers cause kids to forget things that they have learned. They are wrong because, although some kids do forget there is a way to keep them working their brain. One way is to take them to camps. There are may camps for different subjects. Studies show that a student over summer that went to a camp for learning had fun and kept information in her head. Another way is to ask teachers for some packets of information and work sheets they can work on so they will be ready for next year. We have summer for students to relax and take a break for all the hard work they did, that shouldn’t be taken a way.

Year round school makes it harder for high school students to get summer jobs. Students going to traditional schools, are able to find summer jobs that allow them to earn money for college. Summer jobs are more available to students. This allows them to make more money than in a job that would last a short time. Students that work summer jobs are more likely to save money for college. Unlike those unable to commit to a two month job. Year round students can only commit to a few weeks.

In conclusion year round school changes a lot in your summer schedule. It makes life a bit more stressful and not as much fun. When your sitting in a classroom knowing people outside in different schools are having more fun in summer must feel bad. Year round school is not a good idea. So should we change to a year round system? The answer is we shouldn’t. Summer is to be enjoyed not spent in class rooms.

This is the first article I have published on this web site.

cjsavage said...
on May. 17 2017 at 11:04 am
cjsavage,
preach that i agree all the way

ColdplayForever BRONZE, San Jose, California

"Coldplay fans are the best in the world. If you like Coldplay, then you're obviously very intelligent, good-looking, and all-around brilliant."
~Chris Martin

I went to a year round school for 6 years (kindergarten through 5th grade) and I actually enjoyed it. We didn't forget all of the material we had learned the year before over summer vacation, and we also had breaks that were better spaced out and more even. Now that I am not in a year round school anymore, I have long summer vacations, and I feel like they are too long; when I transitioned from 6th to 7th grade, I forgot everything I had learned the past year. I definitely prefer the year round system to the normal one.

ken23467 said...
year round school doesn't mean u have more school time for those people out there that don't know, it just stretches the regular summer vacation through out the school year

David Castro said...
How to be than with summer vacation essay? I don't like idea about year round school because children need to have time to lay on the sun and to get in adventures. And if their parents are farmer - they also need to help them in summer. I recommend you to read an article Summer Season Essay

Nowayjesus said...
This is why we need school year round.

Lamalover said...
Thanks for this it helped me write a pursasuve peice for my English class. Thank you and keep on writing more.

you said id you not if you

your right no one wants year round school #solame

I am me said...
In the first paragraph u said "It you ask me ..."

100% Perfect said...
on May. 7 2014 at 11:17 am
YOUR SO RIGHT

batgirl said...
on Apr. 22 2014 at 10:15 am
this was very helpful for my essay and made me agree  

dydytduk said...
Not having Year Round school can really help students.  

edgeste97 said...
that is very ture i totally argee :]  

jackson said...
i love you. you are rigth

on Jan. 15 2014 at 11:20 am
i ain't against it dawg

FUCK_LUV said...
TRUEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eazy E said...
That's why they review what we learned last year.

I think you are right because  I love to go out of state. Its time to have FUN with Friends and Family go play at the pool, go play at your Friends house, GO HAVE FUN don't keep us inside ALLLL DAY with HOMEWORK BE FREE AND HAVE FUN

mmmm said...
on Aug. 6 2013 at 8:58 am
good essay!!!

yolo said...
thanks this article realy helped me with my debate arguments!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!