Just Because I'm Smart

I am (apparently) a gifted student. Most people think I've got it easy, and i a way I do, but it doesn't mean there aren't downsides. People never see ME.

Just because I'm smart, it doesn't mean I'm deaf. I can hear what you say about me, and it does hurt. I do have feelings, and, if anything, they are probably more easily hurt than yours .

Just because I'm smart and I use big words doesn't mean you shouldn't talk to me. I want to be treated like a person too. Don't assume you won't understand me just because I use big words in class. I can speak your language too, and anyway, you might end up learning a new word.

Just because I'm smart, doesn't mean I don't make mistakes. And it most deifnitely doesn't mean that you can laugh at me when i do et something wrong. Just because I can answer the questions, doesn't mean I am going to get cocky about it, so I don't need you trying to cut me down when I mess up, because it's not like you don't mess up too.

Just because I'm smart, doesn't mean I'm not human, doesn't meant don't get hurt by what you say. Just because I'm smart, it doesn't mean I want to be...

Liz891 said...
Jun. 24, 2010 at 10:30 am:
I know exactly what you mean. I skipped two grades so I'm actually 13 in tenth grade. And people are always looking at me with disturbing looks and they're always saying stuff about me when they think I'm not listening. But, I'm happy I've got my friends that are in eighth grade.

fibonaccimathgenius replied...
Jul. 18, 2010 at 1:51 pm :

Liz891, I'm 13 in 10th grade, too!

And I know exactly what both you and the author are talking about!

People say really mean stuff that I have to deal with and I don't have any real friends.

mudpuppy replied...
Oct. 12, 2010 at 2:33 pm :
I skipped the nineth grade! This girl had once tried to jump me once, because she thought I had a higher grade than her (or at least that's what they say was her problem was). :

mudpuppy replied...
Oct. 12, 2010 at 2:34 pm :
Oh, I made a mistake it was suppose to be the eight grade, but I was typing fast and put 'ninth' by mistake.

schoolgirl13 replied...
Oct. 21, 2011 at 8:29 am :
wow, thats amazing. I wanted to skip aa few grades, but  ireally cant. People already taunt me for being 12 in eighth grade, i coudnt imagine what being in high school at that age must be like. Its very outstanding though, sometimes i wish i could try it. Because what im learning now, isnt advanced enough( im in accelerated classes). Many one day.

Thinker said...
May 12, 2010 at 2:02 pm:
I hear you, believe me I do.

elfiewrites said...
May 11, 2010 at 8:27 pm:
I feel you! I get looked at differently for being in all honors. Anyways, very well written article!

JacobC said...
I know how you feel.  I get called names for having red hair and freckles.  Whenever I get a question wrong in class kids laugh and act like it's the end of the world.  No one acts normal around me, like I'm some sort of alien creature.  It is so bad that I wonder if the people who are nice to me just do it because they feel sorry for me.

ChocolateThunder said...
Mar. 6, 2010 at 6:11 pm:
I know exactly what u mean! im very smart and other kids get nasty and pick on me just because i am! hello...im human too i can hear wat ur saying!

Courtney C. said...
Feb. 12, 2010 at 8:48 am:
I know exactly what you mean, theres always so much pressure on me to do well on tests and stuff because my classmates expect it, they make a big deal about it if i mess up, but they mock me if i get an awesome grade. Sometimes i want to slack off a little like everyone else but its like i don't feel i can

Dreaa:D said...
I am number two of my class right now and during the year i've been switching spots around in rankings but have always stayed in the top 3 spots. I never really get treated to where they pick on me for beingsmart I get picked on for not being number one. I am a person that never takes anything seriously so I try not to let it bother me. The one thing that does bother me is when everyone wants to copy my homework! that drives me nuts! Just stay strong, you'll be the kid with the great c... (more »)

ShernayB.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 8, 2009 at 11:36 am:
i feel the same way you do.
a lot of people treat me differently because I'm smart.
a lot of people give me nasty looks when i answer a question.
a lot of people make groans and moans when its always me that make an exceptional grade on an essay or something.
a lot of people hate on me.
but I don't care. I know i'm smart and I will not let anyone tear me down because im smart.

PoisonedLove said...
Dec. 8, 2009 at 7:30 am:
I'm considered a gifted student as well, so I know how you feel. Plenty of kids treat me that way and it gets hard a lot of times. Just hang in there :3

lost_in_myself said...
I know how you feel. Sometimes in class if I'm not 100% sure I won't raise my hand just because I know if I'm wrong, I'll get made fun of. Apparently since I'm smart at some things I'm supposed to know everything about everything.

JessicaMollie replied...
Oct. 30, 2009 at 1:11 am :
I know. It's like you can't win with some people. If you get it wrong, it's "aren't you meant to be smart?" and if you get it right, it's "Know-it-all". So unfair.

Rkingett This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I feel the same way, though only a little. In my school, I consider it an honor to be in honors English class. I'm gifted, so they say, but there are way smarter people than me out there. Heck, I may even be smrter than you we can all lern from each ither, intelligent or not. I think intelligent people have more to share with other gifted people though, more than they know. in my school, I'm considered wise and an old soul. I don’t bring up big words in class, but I am the kind o... (more »)

writingrox said...
I felt the same way at my old school. I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this.

vejman said...
i have felt like this so many times
nice article

JessicaMollie replied...
Oct. 24, 2009 at 5:54 pm :
Thanks. Good to know I'm not the only one.

JessicaMollie said...
Oct. 23, 2009 at 7:13 am:
sorry about all the errors. I am not usually this sloppy. many apologies