Just Because I'm Smart

I am (apparently) a gifted student. Most people think I've got it easy, and i a way I do, but it doesn't mean there aren't downsides. People never see ME.

Just because I'm smart, it doesn't mean I'm deaf. I can hear what you say about me, and it does hurt. I do have feelings, and, if anything, they are probably more easily hurt than yours .

Just because I'm smart and I use big words doesn't mean you shouldn't talk to me. I want to be treated like a person too. Don't assume you won't understand me just because I use big words in class. I can speak your language too, and anyway, you might end up learning a new word.

Just because I'm smart, doesn't mean I don't make mistakes. And it most deifnitely doesn't mean that you can laugh at me when i do et something wrong. Just because I can answer the questions, doesn't mean I am going to get cocky about it, so I don't need you trying to cut me down when I mess up, because it's not like you don't mess up too.

Just because I'm smart, doesn't mean I'm not human, doesn't meant don't get hurt by what you say. Just because I'm smart, it doesn't mean I want to be...

Awesomesauce said...
The same thing happens to me! I've always had trouble saying no to people, so when they ask I give them the answer. I moved recently, and I think that my friends here are only my friends because i give them answers.

CourtenayGThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I know how you feel, I am in the same situation as you, I get called Dictionary Girl because I use fancy words. My teachers are impressed by my varied vocabulary and in English my teacher said in a year I will be working at an A so if I want to be a writer, this benefits me

scarlite replied...
Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:13 am
im a sophmore in per-calcluse. got the nick name "professor" . i almost feel stupided for making a big dill out of it but still it is anoing

Awesomesauce replied...
You should be proud of your vocabulary. I get called Answer Key because I enjoy math and reading.

SacredDancer said...

I'm homeschooled, and I'm involved in a homeschool co-op at my church.  I don't want to sound arrogant, but I'm smart.

And just about everyone thinks I know everything.  According to them, I am an encyclopedia, atlas, dictionary...I'm Google.  They don't treat me meanly; they just have a ridiculous awe.  The guys are the worst.  This one, who likes me, made "OMG ur so smart!" comments all the time.  During one class, it was every 5-10 minutes.  ... (more »)

Live&&Love said...
When your at college, maybe you should go to visit those who made fun of you at the local mcdonalds where they'll be cleaning the floors :)

nessaboo said...
i feel you . but dont be sorry ,.

Friggin_Daisy said...
Im just like you Zakk, I also am brainy but have lots of friends. They dont care how smart you are, they care about who you are :)

Friggin_Daisy said...
Im in all advanced classes at my High School, and also in College. As a Freshman, people are like what the heck? But, Im just a teenager like them. Im very popular and in tons of clubs and activities. The way people say, "Oh shes a genius! Lets ask her!" Dont take it offensively. Everyones smart in their OWN way. Some people are book smart, street smart, some are good at cooking, some are good with electronics, etc. We all help each other in our own areas of expertice. So, dont take it p... (more »)

Phantom_Girl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Don't forget the dreaded, "I can't figure it out! Let's ask her, she's a genius!" This was said by a girl in one of my classes. She and the girl she was talking to then proceeded to nag me to help them, not believing me when I said I didn't get it either (the teacher did not explain it well and she refused to help us further). What's worse is, the thing that made her say I was a genius was figuring out the percentage of interest she would need to double her investment in 2 years. I didn't think ... (more »)

Phantom_Girl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Point being that the girl thought that because I was "smart" I automatically had to know what the teacher was talking about. When you're considerred "brainy," it feels like you're not allowed to be confused. It feels like you always have to be right.

Skeezics replied...
Nov. 25, 2010 at 1:01 am
i know how that is. i get it alot. i have a very high gpa and i answer the teachers questions all the time. the kids in my school dont seem to understand that even though im smart i can make mistakes too. i am only human and i do make mistakes. but like Phantom_Girl said it feels like you always have to be right, it gets old and it does hurt. whether or not the kids in the class believe it or not.

Zakk H said...
I actually don't get looked at differently for being smart and I am greatful for that. I have tons of friends that are just as smart as me and tons of friends that have even had to go back a grade. It shouldn't matter if you're smart or not, it should just matter who you're like as a person. I am sorry you all feel like you are outcasted but hopefully it will change. Just put yourself out there and meet people! Best wishes and good luck! :)

JessicaMollie replied...
Zakk, you are lucky, but it's kind of hard to make friends when people can hardly understand half the words you use. It's not like I deliberately use big words, it's just that to me one big word seems simpler than a lot of little words that still don't fully convey the meaning of what you are saying. An example would be the word convey which I just used. Most people in my class would say show, but to me convey expresses the meaning more accurately. I hope I'm still making sense, kind of going of... (more »)

Zakk H replied...
Yes I understand what you are saying and i agree that it is much easier to use one word instead of several small ones. If my friends ask me what a word means I just tell them..they actually look at themselves as stupid when they don't know what im saying instead of them viewing me as a nerd haha...but most of my friends are smart and in the IB program like me so they understand me. Just make friends with smart people then? I mean the people in your classes should have a similar intelle... (more »)

schoolgirl13 replied...
Oct. 21, 2011 at 8:24 am
jessicamollie, i completely understand what you mean, and im glad someone els feels how i feel. Im an accelerated student as well, and kids sometimes tease me or taunt me when i get a good and/or bad grade. I also feel like tehres more pressure on me to get good grades because tehy expect so much more of me than everyone else. hasthat happened to you?

mudpuppy said...
Five out of five. You that people would eventally learn to treat everyone the way they would want to be treated. Every since elemetry school I have to deal with bullies and fair-weather friends. These girls were calling me 'a teacher's pet' last year and one was even sent out of the class because of it! They eventally stop, but stuff like that is easy to forgive, but hard to forget. :(

KunaiNinjaFighter said...
I know what you mean. I get wierd looks because I use words that have more than three silibles. I get made fun of, then the people that make fun of me come to me and ask all sweet like, "Hey, can I borrow your homework?", which in layman's terms means, "Hey, I'm your best friend, let me copy off of you."

Annabel D. said...
Totally agree with you, I get it all the time - if I ever get something wrong everyone acts like its such a big deal and won't let it go, the rest of the time they're just copying my work. Really well written too.

talking-with-silence said...
I agree with all of you to. It's very anoying when people want to sit by you and act like your "friend" just so they can copy your paper or ask for awnsers (I frown). They think by saying thy'll make you popular you'll make them smart. Just proves they have no idea whats importint. lol.