Physical Education

By , Hartville, OH
We get up every day at 6 AM to get ready for school. We spend seven hours sitting in uncomfortable desks. With the exception of students enrolled in gym, the limited exercise we receive is provided from walking to and fro between our classes. We, the students of Lake high school, deserve a break from our long boring day to refocus, revive, and reestablish our learning ability. Physical Education should be a main class in every student’s schedule because it would make the school function better by making the general population more fit and focused by giving the students a break to allow them to get their concentration back; furthermore, more Physical Education at Lake would lessen the amount of obesity in the school.
In case I’m not being clear I am suggesting that we add a Physical Education class into every student’s schedule. Physical Education would be like lunch for example; however, the students should be able to pick what Physical Education class to take (swimming, walking club, and regular gym are some examples). This would extend the school day but at the same time would help the students get through the day faster.

The entire school would function better with Physical education. It’s been proven that when exposed to exercise students are better able to stay awake and alert. For example, a study was conducted in Trois Rivieres, Ontario, Canada with 546 primary school students who received an additional five hours per week of physical education. At the end of six years and throughout the last five years of the study, the children in the experimental group had consistently better academic grades and achievement in physical education as compared to their counterparts in the control group. Putting a larger Physical Education program in schools would allow students to get through the day without feeling tired, and it would help them be more efficient by giving them a break during their long day. There new alertness in school would reflect their grades which would cause better test scores for Lake. After all, would you want students who are falling asleep like hibernating bears?

Obesity is like the unpopular kid in the United States; it’s always there in the background but is often overlooked because of bigger issues, and unfortunately there is no lack of it at Lake. There is a very obvious way to rid ourselves of this problem; and that is more exercise for the students. Some may say this is easier said than done. A problem this big won’t go away just by changing one thing, but truthfully if everyone in the school had regular exercise the result would be a fantastic decline of obesity at Lake. One effect of this decline in obesity would be less congestion in hallways which would result in less tardiness. The benefits of ridding the school of this problem are endless.

When you get right down to it, adding a Physical Education class to every students schedule would make the students enjoy school more. This would give them a time to be around friends while doing physical activities. Also it would give students a break from the hustle of the school day to stretch their aching muscles, and get some healthy exercise while doing it. Putting this plan into action would make the school day longer and cost a sizable amount of money. Can you honestly say the benefits don’t outweigh the costs? The energy of the students is like the fuel of the school; if there is no energy then the school cannot move forward or get anything accomplished.

Physical Education as a main class at Lake would have a profound effect on the student body as a whole. No one can argue that the benefits outweigh the costs. The energy level of the students will increase while their weight will decrease. If Physical Education is implemented into the school system at Lake as a main class for every student the effect would be tremendous. Lake could be the Babe Ruth of public schools in Ohio by getting an “out of the park” score on every test; with every student fit, focused, and ready to go every day.

MG743 said...
I disagree. Gym is mandortory at my high school as well. For the first seven years that I had to take a 'regular' gym class, torture it was. I'm in an adaptive one now, and it's better.

fireball said...

Totally,

PE is manditory at my school, everyone complains but its still amazing.This is because we get a break from school, we all laugh loads and sports like dance, rugby and gymnastics (yes we have to try and pick each other up) are sure to cheer us up

So bring in a healthy alternative

songofthenight said...
I agree with you, but I also disagree. The reason I disagree is because to some kids (like me) PE is pure torture, and embarassing to death. And four years of it? If your Bella, let's say.....But if you do have it, and especially if you have a choice in it, it does help with obesity, among many other benefits. The main problem with it happening, though, is the government cuts. I won't go into politics, but it's like Art and Music programs: the things they cut first.

Abigail_W replied...
I preferr recess. I'm TERRIBLE at your typical gym sports, like running, basketball, and soccer, but I can jump rope and run short-distance sprinta.