My philosophy of Education | Teen Ink

My philosophy of Education

Education profoundly affects the lives of many people and provides the foundation for a person to establish a plan for their future. Well-educated people can form decisions that benefit both themselves and the interests of their society. A true education doesn’t consist of a group of classes containing a series of facts to be used on a test and then forgotten, but contains a series of tools that students use in their everyday lives. A true education is a main dish which should be served in all schools. This dish includes three main ingredients; a hardworking teacher, a motivated student, and involved parents. Without all three ingredients, this dish is useless.

The first ingredient is a hardworking teacher. Teachers are the most important part of constituting a true education, but the problem is they aren’t teaching students what should be taught. According to James Baldwin, a society only wants people who will “simply obey the rules of society,” or believe that what’s being taught is always true, but according to Ralph Waldo Emerson, a genius seeks their truth for themselves. Having teachers not teach students the truth enables our society to raise potential geniuses. A teacher’s behavior should reflect values such as tolerance, compassion, and open-mindedness. Teachers should not try to persuade students with their personal points of view, but an ideal classroom environment is one that allows students to feel free to express individual beliefs.

The next ingredient is a motivated student. All students learn differently; therefore, different strategies are needed to help different students gain knowledge of what is being taught, but students are attending school to have fun instead of learning. Why do you think this is happening? According to Leon Botstein, these students are becoming bored with repeating what they’ve learned in their previous years. Botstein argues that students should be attending institutions which are dedicated to an activity which they plan on majoring in which could give them a glimpse of the “real world”. This is a great idea. But will it ever happen? When a student graduates from high school, this shows that they are motivated. This relates to having hard working teachers. The teachers must step in and show these students that learning is important. Mrs. Gruwell, in Freedom Writers, exemplifies a perfect way to keep students involved in education. Although these students never wanted to learn, Mrs. G stepped in and showed them that they must learn in order to be successful.

Finally, the finishing ingredient: involved parents. Parents are an important ingredient to the true education dish. Parents who aren't involved in their children's education only impede the efforts made by teachers and students to create a true education. These parents are often uninterested with their children's education as a whole. When a child attends school, the parent should assist the teacher in teaching their child. While at home, the child should be asked constantly, “How was school? Did you learn anything?” This demonstrates an involved parent.

The true education dish should be served in schools daily. All three ingredients must be used in order for it to be successful. Once a school serves the true education dish, each student’s stomachs will be filled with the ability to have a prosperous future and further their education.

on Jul. 3 2012 at 9:18 am
Grania PLATINUM, Portland, Maine

I really appreciate this article and I hope you go into education reform. :D

I feel the same way you do, only I would go even farther and add a couple more essential ingredients to the recipe for true learning. The first is a strong community in the school. If a school committs to building a community where each student is known and nurtured, where there are teachers and peers personally invested in her success, where she can be herself without fear, a community of inclusion and encouragement, each student will strive to do her best.

The second ingredient I would add is meaningful work. Work that the student is invested in because it matters to the real world. For example, at my high school, we do a project where we learn about documentary storytelling, and then travel across the country to interview Katrina survivors and create documentaries about their stories. Hands-on, relevant work will inspire a lifelong passion to learn. William Butler Yeats said, "education is not about filling a pail, but lighting a fire."

I encourage you to check out elschools.org, the website for Expeditionary Learning, a model that celebrates a lot of your vision.

on Oct. 10 2009 at 11:04 am
LegacyPen BRONZE, Hudson, Massachusetts

(my continued bio) Infinity, or Destiny of Infinity on here, is a total of 82,860 word count. I am in the editing process.

Oh, how true you are! I myself am a student, and have experienced the lack of interest other pupils seem to have in education. It is as if education doesn't matter to anyone anymore! I really appreciate that at least someone has the same views as I do.