Is Engineering-STEAM Right for You? | Teen Ink

Is Engineering-STEAM Right for You? MAG

By Lucasnelson SILVER, Miami, Florida
Lucasnelson SILVER, Miami, Florida

Engineering is more than just using math and science to invent things. For me, engineering means a way to discover about our world and find ways to make our lives and society better.

Engineering is also a way to test yourself and see how creative one can be. However, this way of thinking was not always the case. I once thought engineering was merely designing and building things like what inventors do. Now I know engineering is far more complex and a very intriguing study, and it can be taken both recreationally and professionally. So, what changed, and most importantly, what gave me certainty of the profession I want to pursue? 

Well, choosing a profession is important, and I decided I needed to experience the daily routine of an engineering student and/or professional if I was serious about becoming an engineer. I also decided it was just as important to visit the different engineering departments of some of the most prestigious universities to become acclimated and familiar with different resources and mindset. Luckily enough, there is a diversity of summer camps, classes, and workshops available for high schoolers to attend all over the world, and there are university tours available all year long.

During the summer of 2022, I chose to embark on a small, but helpful expedition. I was able to eliminate astrophysics engineering after participating in an interesting and informative course at Case Western Reserve University and having an insightful conversation with a research graduate student at the MIT astrophysics department in Boston. I was able to see and learn the equipment, data, and information used to discover the existence of other planets, though it never fully piqued my interest. I encountered a surprisingly fun and engaging experience at the Engineering Technology housing program camp at Pennsylvania College of Technology — Penn State, where I embraced the “college” life of staying at college dorms, eating at college cafeterias, and attending hands-on classes and workshops.

It was a surreal experience. We were able to experience the different fields of engineering. We had a nine-to-five schedule with classes ranging from one to three hours. These classes consisted of engineering workshops that included information and hands-on activities with machinery and gadgets in different fields, such as manipulating plastics and polymers, welding, manufacturing, civil and electrical engineering, and more. In addition, we attended lectures and Q&A sessions with professional engineers who provided us with relevant information about their field. Having a brief glimpse of what college life is all about — roommates, meeting students from different parts of the country, and independence — was the cherry on top.

Engineering is a fascinating, multiplex field, and having the opportunity to become acquainted with the different branches is important for a high school student who is in the process of selecting a major. Institutions like PCT are a great place to start. Now, not only do I know what I want to study, but I am also eager to continue the work I started with my teachers and classmates back in my summer semester in 2022. I foresee lots of fun, creativity, growth, challenges, hard work, learning, impact on society, collaboration and great friendship among professionals. I hope you find the same results in your future, with engineering or in any other field.

Lucas is a high school student who will graduate in 2025 to pursue Architectural-Structural Engineering. As result of his handwork and commitment, Lucas is currently a member of different nationally recognized honors societies who holds a variety of certifications in worldwide accredited organizations and universities including courses in leadership, cultural diversity, and different areas of engineering. Although he aims for academic excellence, he is also fully invested in making this world a better place by volunteering in his community and leading projects to support causes such as helping foster children and veterans (The Purple Heart Organization). Lucas speaks four languages and is an avid athlete in different sports.