Let's Get The Great Gatsby Off the Syllabus | Teen Ink

Let's Get The Great Gatsby Off the Syllabus

By lsaad_24 BRONZE, Marina Del Rey, California
lsaad_24 BRONZE, Marina Del Rey, California

I’m an avid reader and writer who, starting with Marcus Pfister’s The Rainbow Fish, fell in love with literature before I could talk. Once fifth grade came around, Harry Potter and the Percy Jackson series were my obsessions, even over Pandie the Panda, the favorite stuffed animal I would’ve carried to the moon and back. Though I’m still a sucker for anything magic or myth-related, middle school was when a deep appreciation for language itself developed within me. And yet, after reading what The Guardian describes as “one of the greatest novels ever written in English,” I’m appalled by The Great Gatsby’s presence on my 2023 Honors English syllabus.

F. Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby, written in 1925, tells “the tragic story of Jay Gatsby, a self-made millionaire,” and his quest to capture the heart of his dream girl, Daisy Buchanan. Beneath long pages of flowery imagery, a story that describes the “impossible” lives of rich, white characters involved in bootlegging and the lucrative bond business unfolds. But after enduring nine chapters of West and East Egg living, I am confident this novel has nothing to do with what I should be reading.

I live in a multicultural world, the heart of Los Angeles, California. Why am I reading about rich white people from the 1920s? Shouldn’t I be reading authors from various backgrounds on social issues that pertain to my generation? In the last three years, my Honors English curriculum has included two poems by Langston Hughes, half a play by Lorraine Hansberry, and Toni Morrison’s The Bluest Eye (but only because my teacher added that novel to her syllabus). Meanwhile, fiction like The Catcher in the Rye and The Scarlet Letter is required reading: novels from white authors whose storylines are irrelevant to our lives and experiences.

I agree that many classic novels are indispensable, and can transport teenagers like myself to worlds only remembered through text and art. It’s the way novels like The Great Gatsby are taught that unsettles me. Parul Sehgal, The New York Times literary critic, questions whether there is another novel “so established in the canon and curriculum,” even as its morality and merit are heavily debated today due to a shift in societal norms. In other words, it’s pretty outdated. But for the sake of their grades, my peers don’t question it. 

Not every novel I read in class should be entirely relatable, but there is plenty of literature from the past to the present, from James Baldwin to Jacqueline Woodson, that speaks to our collective history and experience. Perhaps the required list of books should be tweaked to include information relevant to the teenagers of today.

Churchwell, Sarah. “What makes The Great Gatsby great?” The Guardian. 3 May 2013.

Martinez, Julia. “The Great Gatsby.” Britannica. 3 Jan. 2023. 

Parul, Sehgal. “Nearly a Century Later, We're Still Reading - and Changing Our Minds About - Gatsby.” The New York Times. 30 Dec. 2020.

I was inspired to write this piece after having to read The Great Gatsby in my English 11 Honors course this year (a required class by my district, El Segundo Unified). Throughout the entire book I kept wondering: why am I reading this? The setting, plot, and characters in Fitzgerald’s novel are hardly relevant to today’s society, and although I know it is beneficial to read classics from different time periods, I hated the way it was spoken about in class: It was almost as if I was expected to apply Gatsby’s experiences, the problems and life decisions of a rich white man living in the 1920s, to my life in Los Angeles a hundred years later. Once I stumbled across the 10th Annual Student Editorial Contest, I knew that I wanted to write about something that I was passionate about — something that made me angry. The Great Gatsby and the required readings of my high school was my first thought. Luckily, I did not have to reread The Great Gatsby to write my editorial, but I did research basic information about the author as well as commentary about the novel from various sources. Once I found the information I needed, I wrote a first draft that was far above the word limit (and this was while I was restraining myself). After lots of editing and revising for grammar and flow, I reached my finished draft. I’m proud and grateful for the opportunity to express my opinion on this topic, as it is important for my generation and the ones to come.