Senioritis: The Silent Killer | Teen Ink

Senioritis: The Silent Killer

May 26, 2023
By TylerJ10205 BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut
TylerJ10205 BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I'm going to be honest. I don’t feel like writing this. If 50% of my grade didn’t depend on it, I would be taking a nap right now. This will probably still be turned in between 10:30 p.m. and 11:59 p.m. on the day that it is due. But anyways, here we are. Talking about the dreadful but real topic of: senioritis. Many, if not all, in their senior year of high school or college experience this issue. For many, it is more than just a lack of motivation, it is almost like a complete burnout from the 4 years just endured. Senioritis is more than what society paints it out to be, and it is leading to a generation of burnt out kids who are not learning what they need to learn to succeed in their future. 


The irony isn't lost on me as I write this; my writing process has been a masterclass in staring at blank walls. It is not just in English class that this happens to me. Every single one of my classes has witnessed me avoid eye contact with my work at least 45 times this school year. Due to this, my peak turn in work time has become anywhere from an hour and a half to a couple minutes before midnight. Despite my dwindling motivation, I still keep doing my work because I know the consequences if I fall too deep into this rabbit hole. 


Unfortunately, many seniors don’t realize the consequences of fully checking out too early. You can miss out on many opportunities that would've been accessible if you pushed through the last few months. Shaunak Patel, in his article titled “The Dangerous, Costly Phenomenon (That Only Affects High School Seniors)” shares many of these consequences. Patel explains that colleges can take back the acceptance granted to the student if their final transcript isn’t similar to the information given previously. In these three months of school, if I was to not do my work and let myself check out of high school too early, I would’ve lost a place at my college of choice. This would have affected my whole future and made all my work for 13 years almost pointless. Shaunak then states that “students whose class rank dropped significantly by the time graduation rolled around lost anywhere from $1,000 to $3,000 per year.” Essentially, 3 to 4 months of slacking off leads to 3 to 4 years of extra work.


To better understand the toll senioritis takes on students, we must explore the concept of burnout. A burnout is described as “a state of emotional, physical, and mental exhaustion caused by excessive and prolonged stress” by helpguide.org. It estimated that 89% of Americans have experienced a burn out like situation in the past year. Many of these people are those in school. Anne Akpabio, in her article “Is Senioritis’ Just Another Word for Burnout” explores how burnout is affecting those in their last year of school. Akpabio explains that senioritis can possibly be the point where you cannot take it anymore. You have been so many years of uncertainty and the worker getting harder and harder you begin to prematurely relax once you see the finish line. This is very similar to burnout except with burnout, you don’t relax. In school just because you gave up, it doesn't mean the work stops. You still experience stress, and it's hard to relax in that situation. Therefore, if your senioritis isn’t burnout right now, it can turn into that really quick if unchecked.


The deadline looms, and I must turn this in. But let it serve as a reminder to all of us grappling with senioritis: despite the temptation to slack off, we must stay focused and dedicated until the very end.  By persevering through these final moments, we can ensure a smoother transition into the next phase of our lives. You don’t stop running before you reach the finish line. Speaking of the finish line, I have to turn this in. It is due in 30 minutes.