The Homework Revolution | Teen Ink

The Homework Revolution MAG

June 12, 2009
By SpaceKing800 GOLD, Glen Rock, New Jersey
SpaceKing800 GOLD, Glen Rock, New Jersey
15 articles 0 photos 228 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We especially need imagination in science. It is not all mathematics, nor all logic, but is somewhat beauty and poetry"- Maria Mitchell


A young girl sits at her desk, reviewing her homework assignments for the evening. English: read three chapters and write a journal response. Math: complete 30 problems, showing all work. Science: do a worksheet, front and back. French: study vocabulary for tomorrow's test. It's going to be a long night.

This describes a typical weeknight for students across the country. Now is the time to start a homework revolution.

Do students in the United States receive too much homework? According to guidelines endorsed by the National Education Association (NEA), a student should be assigned no more than 10 minutes per grade level per night. For example, a first grader should only have 10 minutes of homework, a second grader, 20 minutes, and so on. This means that a student in my grade – seventh – should have no more than 70 minutes of work each night. Yet this is often doubled, sometimes even tripled!

There are negatives to overloading students. Have you ever heard of a child getting sick because of homework? According to William Crain, Ph.D., a professor of psychology at City College of New York and the author of Reclaiming Childhood, “Kids are developing more school-related stomachaches, headaches, sleep problems, and depression than ever before.” The average student is glued to his or her desk for almost seven hours a day. Add two to four hours of homework each night, and they are working a 45- to 55-hour week!

In addition, a student who receives excessive homework “will miss out on active playtime, essential for learning social skills, proper brain development, and warding off childhood obesity,” according to Harris Cooper, Ph.D., a professor of psychology and neuroscience at Duke University.

Everybody knows that teachers are the ones who assign homework, but they do not deserve all the blame. “Many teachers are under greater pressure than ever before,” says Kylene Beers, president of the National Council for Teachers of English and the author of When Kids Can't Read What Teachers Can Do. “Some of it comes from parents, some from the administration and the desire for high scores on standardized tests.” Teachers who are under pressure feel the need to assign more homework. But why aren't teachers aware of the NEA homework recommendations? Many have never heard of them, have never taken a course about good versus bad homework, how much to give, and the research behind it. And many colleges of education do not offer specific training in homework. Teachers are just winging it.

Although some teachers and parents believe that assigning a lot of homework is beneficial, a Duke University review of a number of studies found almost no correlation between homework and long-term achievements in elementary school and only a moderate correlation in middle school. “More is not better,” concluded Cooper, who conducted the review.

Is homework really necessary? Most teachers assign homework as a drill to improve memorization of material. While drills and repetitive exercises have their place in schools, homework may not be that place. If a student does a math worksheet with 50 problems but completes them incorrectly, he will likely fail the test. According to the U.S. Department of Education, most math teachers can tell after checking five algebraic equations whether a student understood the necessary concepts. Practicing dozens of homework problems incorrectly only cements the wrong method.

Some teachers believe that assigning more homework will help improve standardized test scores. However, in countries like the Czech Republic, Japan, and Denmark, which have higher-scoring students, teachers give little homework. The United States is among the most homework-intensive countries in the world for seventh and eighth grade, so more homework clearly does not mean a higher test score.

Some people argue that homework toughens kids up for high school, college, and the workforce. Too much homework is sapping students' strength, curiosity, and most importantly, their love of learning. Is that really what teachers and parents want?

If schools assign less homework, it would benefit teachers, parents, and students alike. Teachers who assign large amounts of homework are often unable to do more than spot-check answers. This means that many errors are missed. Teachers who assign less homework will be able to check it thoroughly. In addition, it allows a teacher time to focus on more important things. “I had more time for planning when I wasn't grading thousands of problems a night,” says math teacher Joel Wazac at a middle school in Missouri. “And when a student didn't understand something, instead of a parent trying to puzzle it out, I was there to help them.” The result of assigning fewer math problems: grades went up and the school's standardized math scores are the highest they've ever been. A student who is assigned less homework will live a healthy and happy life. The family can look forward to stress-free, carefree nights and, finally, the teachers can too.

Some schools are already taking steps to improve the issue. For example, Mason-Rice Elementary School in Newton, Massachusetts, has limited homework, keeping to the “10 minute rule.” Raymond Park Middle School in Indianapolis has written a policy instructing teachers to “assign homework only when you feel the assignment is valuable.” The policy also states, “A night off is better than homework which serves no worthwhile purpose.” Others, such as Oak Knoll Elementary School in Menlo Park, California, have considered eliminating homework altogether. If these schools can do it, why can't everyone?

So, my fellow Americans, it's time to stop the insanity. It's time to start a homework revolution.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 821 comments.


zobean GOLD said...
on Oct. 2 2010 at 1:02 pm
zobean GOLD, Northfield, Massachusetts
16 articles 1 photo 33 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A Good player inspires themselves. A GREAT player inspires others."

I think that there was enough research in this essay. Plus, that is just in Mexico. Hours at school are not the helping thing, it is the homework itself, and that was proven, the hours don't change it.

on Oct. 2 2010 at 10:43 am
SpaceKing800 GOLD, Glen Rock, New Jersey
15 articles 0 photos 228 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We especially need imagination in science. It is not all mathematics, nor all logic, but is somewhat beauty and poetry"- Maria Mitchell

Actually, I don't mind the critique. But what hurt me is that people do not seem to realize the whole picture.

I am talking about those who don't procrastinate, who manage their time wisely, but still get a boatload of work each night. These kids are who I am representing, not those who are whiners because they never do their homework.

Another point that urks me is the fact that no matter who it is, everyone seems to refer to Asia or another international country. The fact is, this article is for America. I am making a change for the wonderful country that I was born into, where freedom, not competion, should reign. The United States has been caught up too long in being like others, when originally, we were unique.

 

So please, think before you write these silly comments.


on Sep. 27 2010 at 10:07 am
ShyeGirlBeth GOLD, Easley, South Carolina
18 articles 16 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
Kick The Darkness Till It Bleeds Daylight, Not Mine, But I Love The Saying....; When life gives you lemons, throw them at other people and yell "Make some stinkin lemonade!"; Otay!

Actually some of my friends live in Japan. They get a summer break it's just much shorter because they get a very long spring break. As for Sundays, they don't go to school I can assure you. And 7 hours a day is only one more hour than we have so if anything we should get 1 hour of homework if were trying to make it even to there ciriculum.

on Sep. 27 2010 at 10:01 am
ShyeGirlBeth GOLD, Easley, South Carolina
18 articles 16 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
Kick The Darkness Till It Bleeds Daylight, Not Mine, But I Love The Saying....; When life gives you lemons, throw them at other people and yell "Make some stinkin lemonade!"; Otay!

Aluash, that is really rude. I think you should delete your comment. In case you were unable to notice, your just whinning and complaining too, except your whinning and complaning about how much we whin and complain which is completly rediculous. I'm surprised someone has not reported your comment yet but I can assure you that if you don't delete it someone will. Completly inapropriate for you to say.

on Sep. 24 2010 at 6:57 am
songofthenight SILVER, Manistee, Michigan
5 articles 0 photos 9 comments
This is well-written. A great persuasive essay. Problem is, you're not looking at the whole picture when you say 'we have more homework but lower test scores than other countries'. Other countries have much longer days. For instance, Mexican go to school until around eight, starting at the same time we do. So research better next time, please.

jellybean said...
on Sep. 24 2010 at 3:01 am
Wow, eighteen whole lines! How will you ever manage that? That could take you like ten whole minutes!

on Sep. 23 2010 at 5:38 pm
blackveilbrideschickies BRONZE, Brackenridge, Pennsylvania
2 articles 0 photos 30 comments
I completely agree with this article. Im in eleventh grade and involved in our school band. Our principals expect the teachers to lighten up our homework load just a little bit during the big band season which is now cause of football season. None of the teachers listen. Band takes up a majority of my time so some nights I dont get home 9 p.m. I then have to eat and shower and spend 3-4 hrs on homework sometimes more so I dont get to bed two a.m. sometimes and I have to get up at 5:45...What kind of sleep are you getting??? Hardly any...Even when I dont have band..You wanna come home spend four hrs or more on homework and go to bed to catch up on the sleep we missed...Where's the time for friends??

aluash said...
on Sep. 23 2010 at 5:24 am
The reason that Japan and other Asian countries assign less homework is because their school day is longer. For example, in China, kids go to school seven days a week, from 7 to 7. Oh, and on Sundays, they have a half day, from 7 to 2. And they don't get a summer break. 

aluash said...
on Sep. 23 2010 at 5:20 am
This post is wonderfully written... but it made me so angry! I used to live in the States but I moved to China the freshman year of high school because of my dad's job. So now I go to an international school in China with a bunch of American, Korean, Japanese, and New Zealand kids. I am a junior in high school. Our school actually has a minimum requirement of how many AP classes each grade level student has to take. So when American kids start whining about how much homework they get, it gets me upset because they're so ignorant of how much work kids outside of America do. Did you know that the students in US get easier AP exams, SATs and ACTs? I am taking only three AP classes, I'm in Model UN, I'm on varsity volleyball, I'm the editor of my newspaper and of the yearbook. You can't complain to me about homework because I go to bed at 11 because I know how to manage my time wisely. I get about 5-6 hours of homework each night, more on weekends, but I have a whiteboard with all of my homework and I always try to do homework earlier than it is due. Somehow, I manage to keep a social life because I go out a lot with my friends, too. So don't use "We get too much homework" excuse when you wouldn't know how much homework other kids get outside of US. Just because you procrastinate, doesn't mean that it's the school's fault. And if I wouldn't eliminate homework in US, they have studies that scores of students in America have been getting lower and lower. So stop being lazy and swallow your pity.

on Sep. 20 2010 at 4:27 pm
babygirlinthetardis BRONZE, Snaith, Other
1 article 1 photo 14 comments
Fantastically written - and I join you in believing that, my first day back at school this year I wound up with 3 hours worth of homework!

on Sep. 10 2010 at 1:50 pm
veridical_me BRONZE, Meridian, Idaho
2 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
Outside of a dog, a book is a girl’s) best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s to dark to read –Groucho Marx

Brilliant! This is engaging, and very persuasive. I probably would have agreed with you if you were arguin for more homework, the paper is so strong.

RAWR said...
on Sep. 1 2010 at 8:47 am
hiiiii mr. hi. HI!

on Sep. 1 2010 at 8:46 am
lakebluestreaker, Uniontown, Ohio
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment
This chick needs a chill pill and deal with live. Rock' em Free weezy.

MoRnInG#678 said...
on Sep. 1 2010 at 8:45 am

i think this paper is a very strongly written piece because it backs it up with lots of teachers comments and doctor knowledge. I find what that the writer is true about most of her topics.

With every teacher, principle, and adult there is pressure about getting things done by the dead line and worring about if you will get it done. i know i feel this. After school i have games and practics after school and other things to worry about other then homework. I dont care if there is a little homework but hours of homework is too much.  i think this paper shows the views on magority of the students in any school and am all for this strike.


on Sep. 1 2010 at 8:45 am
Hi, i am one of the few TeenInk Staff Editors. I really think this is a very well done paper. It really pulled me in. I do hear how kids have lot of homework. I do believe in homework but i only think kids should have a hours worth. Thanks  SpaceKing800 good story.

lakerm13 said...
on Sep. 1 2010 at 8:41 am
This article is very informative. It really shows how everyone has to much homework. The article has alot of valid arguments. I agree with this essay, we shouldn't have so much homework.

on Sep. 1 2010 at 8:41 am
i find your comment very pleasuring.....very

on Sep. 1 2010 at 8:40 am
i think that this is a good story that explains a very good point about homework. it shows the pros and cons.

mnm13 said...
on Sep. 1 2010 at 8:39 am
This is very well written and it is very persuasive. After i started reading it i wanted to read more.i agree with what you are saying and i also think teachers assign less homework.

M&M_123 said...
on Sep. 1 2010 at 8:39 am

i believe that this paper is written extremely well, and is a very good example for a persuasive paper. the paper begins with a normal night of a students night, wich i can really relate to... so it grabs my attention. also. they adds many credible sources, and statistics that make this paper seen like schools should cut out their homework assignments, wich makes the paper very persuasive.

i think that this paper is a written very well, and it is a good example of a persuasive paper.