The Homework Revolution This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

A young girl sits at her desk, reviewing her homework assignments for the evening. English: read three chapters and write a journal response. Math: complete 30 problems, showing all work. Science: do a worksheet, front and back. French: study vocabulary for tomorrow's test. It's going to be a long night.

This describes a typical weeknight for students across the country. Now is the time to start a homework revolution.

Do students in the United States receive too much homework? According to guidelines endorsed by the National Education Association (NEA), a student should be assigned no more than 10 minutes per grade level per night. For example, a first grader should only have 10 minutes of homework, a second grader, 20 minutes, and so on. This means that a student in my grade – seventh – should have no more than 70 minutes of work each night. Yet this is often doubled, sometimes even tripled!

There are negatives to overloading students. Have you ever heard of a child getting sick because of homework? According to William Crain, Ph.D., a professor of psychology at City College of New York and the author of Reclaiming Childhood, “Kids are developing more school-related stomachaches, headaches, sleep problems, and depression than ever before.” The average student is glued to his or her desk for almost seven hours a day. Add two to four hours of homework each night, and they are working a 45- to 55-hour week!

In addition, a student who receives excessive homework “will miss out on active playtime, essential for learning social skills, proper brain development, and warding off childhood obesity,” according to Harris Cooper, Ph.D., a professor of psychology and neuroscience at Duke University.

Everybody knows that teachers are the ones who assign homework, but they do not deserve all the blame. “Many teachers are under greater pressure than ever before,” says Kylene Beers, president of the National Council for Teachers of English and the author of When Kids Can't Read What Teachers Can Do. “Some of it comes from parents, some from the administration and the desire for high scores on standardized tests.” Teachers who are under pressure feel the need to assign more homework. But why aren't teachers aware of the NEA homework recommendations? Many have never heard of them, have never taken a course about good versus bad homework, how much to give, and the research behind it. And many colleges of education do not offer specific training in homework. Teachers are just winging it.

Although some teachers and parents believe that assigning a lot of homework is beneficial, a Duke University review of a number of studies found almost no correlation between homework and long-term achievements in elementary school and only a moderate correlation in middle school. “More is not better,” concluded Cooper, who conducted the review.

Is homework really necessary? Most teachers assign homework as a drill to improve memorization of material. While drills and repetitive exercises have their place in schools, homework may not be that place. If a student does a math worksheet with 50 problems but completes them incorrectly, he will likely fail the test. According to the U.S. Department of Education, most math teachers can tell after checking five algebraic equations whether a student understood the necessary concepts. Practicing dozens of homework problems incorrectly only cements the wrong method.

Some teachers believe that assigning more homework will help improve standardized test scores. However, in countries like the Czech Republic, Japan, and Denmark, which have higher-scoring students, teachers give little homework. The United States is among the most homework-intensive countries in the world for seventh and eighth grade, so more homework clearly does not mean a higher test score.

Some people argue that homework toughens kids up for high school, college, and the workforce. Too much homework is sapping students' strength, curiosity, and most importantly, their love of learning. Is that really what teachers and parents want?

If schools assign less homework, it would benefit teachers, parents, and students alike. Teachers who assign large amounts of homework are often unable to do more than spot-check answers. This means that many errors are missed. Teachers who assign less homework will be able to check it thoroughly. In addition, it allows a teacher time to focus on more important things. “I had more time for planning when I wasn't grading thousands of problems a night,” says math teacher Joel Wazac at a middle school in Missouri. “And when a student didn't understand something, instead of a parent trying to puzzle it out, I was there to help them.” The result of assigning fewer math problems: grades went up and the school's standardized math scores are the highest they've ever been. A student who is assigned less homework will live a healthy and happy life. The family can look forward to stress-free, carefree nights and, finally, the teachers can too.

Some schools are already taking steps to improve the issue. For example, Mason-Rice Elementary School in Newton, Massachusetts, has limited homework, keeping to the “10 minute rule.” Raymond Park Middle School in Indianapolis has written a policy instructing teachers to “assign homework only when you feel the assignment is valuable.” The policy also states, “A night off is better than homework which serves no worthwhile purpose.” Others, such as Oak Knoll Elementary School in Menlo Park, California, have considered eliminating homework altogether. If these schools can do it, why can't everyone?

So, my fellow Americans, it's time to stop the insanity. It's time to start a homework revolution.

AJfabrizzi said...
Oct. 13, 2011 at 11:36 am:
Brilliantly written. You have great sources, and this isn't just a rant againt homework. I'm very impressed, and I completely agree!

enough is enough! said...
I really liked the article! I am a parent and literally tired of my childs home work everyday.Just as tonight it's 9:30 and my child still working on her homework.She is tired and angry! Why must they have to do so much home work? It's true we are ruining their childhood and I feel so bad for them.My kids always enjoy playing outdoors and when school starts it's like a nightmare for them because they don't have time to go outside.We are the parents need to find the way to make our kids happy!

Mello0936 said...
Sept. 21, 2011 at 8:50 am:
I know of many families who home school their children. These children spend less than half the time "in school" than children in our public schools and generally excel beyond those kids. Unfortunately, most American parents can not home school their children.  Why can't the public schools accomplish in seven+ hours what the homeschool parents do in less than half that time?  It is an issue of Quality vs Quantity. Quality wins every time!

Pumpkinscout said...
I am homeschooled so I have no homework :) Unless you count all my work as homework

ZetaTheGreek said...
 You really have it easy in america-.- Here in greece they give us  TONES of homowork not only from school but also from the 2 foreign language lessons and some additional subjects lesssons that an average child here should attempt to have a complete education...Just Don't Complain -.-'

Afra- replied...
Nov. 5, 2011 at 7:05 am :
Do you get good test results from the work you do?

ZetaTheGreek replied...
Nov. 5, 2011 at 7:14 am :
I personally do. But my best friend, who does the same private lessons as me doesn't. Our educational system sucks so much that is actually recommended to do mostly foreign language lessons to keep up with the school ones. The additional subjects lessons are nessecary only at the end of High School in order to get a good mark to the exams and go to the university you want.

Afra- replied...
Nov. 6, 2011 at 12:05 am :

wow, thtat is confusing. and odd what do langfuages have to do so much...=)

schoolgirl13 replied...
Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:29 pm :
it isnt even really depending on what country your learing in or how your taught ( though some styles of teaching are more complex ), it can just depend on the person learning it all, like you said with your best friend. Its like that here too. And trust me, they give us a ton of homwork too, it just depends on how you juggle it :) Like you have two foreign languages, I learn forensics and Food science both at college levels and im in eighth grade, so trust me, i understand.

sailerc This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I have to disagree with this. I am a freshmen at a public school and usually have no homework because I find time to fit it in between classes, at lunch time, and during inactive periods during classes. If students could be more hardworking like I try to be, they'd have no homework to complain about! I don't feel challenged enough at my school as it is.

lovelaughliveurlife replied...
Sept. 14, 2011 at 4:41 pm :
Congratulations on being so productive, but not everyone can be.  I spent most of middle school not being challenged either.  Now, I'm a junior in high school, taking as many honors or AP classes as I can. I don't have a study hall and the time (five minutes) I have between classes is barely enough to get to my next class on time, since teachers often don't let us go until a minute or two after the class is ended. Yes I'm at public school too, but that doesn't mean I'm not taking as ma... (more »)

sailerc This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 17, 2011 at 3:36 pm :
I DO take the most challenging courses for my grade level. My parents are working to get me into AP courses in tenth grade next year though, so it's not like I'm not trying. 

UncleBorz said...
Although this was well written, I have to disagree with it. We live in an incredibly competitive and demanding world. The future job market that's waiting for our generation makes sure that only the top tier students from around the world can establish a stable and comfortable life for themselves. We have countries in the Far East, such as China, the Koreas, etc., who are actively preparing their youngest generations to be the very best competitively around the world. In the United States and mu... (more »)

Mello0936 replied...
Sept. 21, 2011 at 8:22 am :
Do you really believe spending healthy positive family time in the evenings is worth so little to our children?  

Mello0936 replied...
Sept. 21, 2011 at 8:32 am :
If a Chinese student spends over seven hours at school (like our American children do) and seven hours doing homework (as you claim), when do these children sleep, eat or play? My child rides the bus and gets home from school after five. If he did 7 hours of homework, he would be going to bed at midnight with no time for dinner, bath, reading for pleasure or recreation. Since he has to get up at 6:30 am to get ready for school, he would only get 6.5 hours sleep. Is this really what you... (more »)

Afra- replied...
Nov. 5, 2011 at 6:55 am :
I don't think they do seven hours staright. Tehy will obviosuly take breaks. Im sorry if you are a parent don't mean to disrespect you. But i agree that to survive in this world with a goo furture you got to work hard from the start.

Mello0936 replied...
Jan. 5, 2012 at 1:41 pm :
I am not advocating indolence. I absolutely agree that students (and everyone else for that matter) must work hard to be successful in life. This has always and will always be the truth. However, success does not just mean acheiving high scores and high paying jobs. Success should be veiwed from a more holestic perspective. From my viewpoint, in raising two sons, 90% of the homework is more "busy work" that is not contributing substantionally to their knowledge or success but takes significant... (more »)

SecretSearcherThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I thoroughly agree with almost everything. Another problem, at least in my school, is that the homework is extremely tedious and therefore takes so much time. I can't even tell you how many times I've stayed up until 11 at night writing essays for my reading class, and I'm only going into 9th grade!

Laura_Oliver said...
Aug. 6, 2011 at 11:41 am:
I agree with your points, and this is very well written, but students these days do not really receive as much homework as it is all made out to be. If you are taking longer than three hours to do your homework in seventh grade, you need to get a tutor because you are having trouble with the work itself, not the quantity. Seventh grade is simply NOT that hard, unless you attend some ultra private Ivy League-prep school, which in that case you asked for it when you applied. It will only get harde... (more »)

Laura_Oliver replied...
Aug. 6, 2011 at 11:43 am :
May I add that we American students get it easy, because in one of the Korea's (I believe it is both, but I am not sure) and in many of those eastern Asian counteries students have ten-hour school days and literally HOURS of homework. I don't complain in the face of that.