The Homework Revolution This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

A young girl sits at her desk, reviewing her homework assignments for the evening. English: read three chapters and write a journal response. Math: complete 30 problems, showing all work. Science: do a worksheet, front and back. French: study vocabulary for tomorrow's test. It's going to be a long night.

This describes a typical weeknight for students across the country. Now is the time to start a homework revolution.

Do students in the United States receive too much homework? According to guidelines endorsed by the National Education Association (NEA), a student should be assigned no more than 10 minutes per grade level per night. For example, a first grader should only have 10 minutes of homework, a second grader, 20 minutes, and so on. This means that a student in my grade – seventh – should have no more than 70 minutes of work each night. Yet this is often doubled, sometimes even tripled!

There are negatives to overloading students. Have you ever heard of a child getting sick because of homework? According to William Crain, Ph.D., a professor of psychology at City College of New York and the author of Reclaiming Childhood, “Kids are developing more school-related stomachaches, headaches, sleep problems, and depression than ever before.” The average student is glued to his or her desk for almost seven hours a day. Add two to four hours of homework each night, and they are working a 45- to 55-hour week!

In addition, a student who receives excessive homework “will miss out on active playtime, essential for learning social skills, proper brain development, and warding off childhood obesity,” according to Harris Cooper, Ph.D., a professor of psychology and neuroscience at Duke University.

Everybody knows that teachers are the ones who assign homework, but they do not deserve all the blame. “Many teachers are under greater pressure than ever before,” says Kylene Beers, president of the National Council for Teachers of English and the author of When Kids Can't Read What Teachers Can Do. “Some of it comes from parents, some from the administration and the desire for high scores on standardized tests.” Teachers who are under pressure feel the need to assign more homework. But why aren't teachers aware of the NEA homework recommendations? Many have never heard of them, have never taken a course about good versus bad homework, how much to give, and the research behind it. And many colleges of education do not offer specific training in homework. Teachers are just winging it.

Although some teachers and parents believe that assigning a lot of homework is beneficial, a Duke University review of a number of studies found almost no correlation between homework and long-term achievements in elementary school and only a moderate correlation in middle school. “More is not better,” concluded Cooper, who conducted the review.

Is homework really necessary? Most teachers assign homework as a drill to improve memorization of material. While drills and repetitive exercises have their place in schools, homework may not be that place. If a student does a math worksheet with 50 problems but completes them incorrectly, he will likely fail the test. According to the U.S. Department of Education, most math teachers can tell after checking five algebraic equations whether a student understood the necessary concepts. Practicing dozens of homework problems incorrectly only cements the wrong method.

Some teachers believe that assigning more homework will help improve standardized test scores. However, in countries like the Czech Republic, Japan, and Denmark, which have higher-scoring students, teachers give little homework. The United States is among the most homework-intensive countries in the world for seventh and eighth grade, so more homework clearly does not mean a higher test score.

Some people argue that homework toughens kids up for high school, college, and the workforce. Too much homework is sapping students' strength, curiosity, and most importantly, their love of learning. Is that really what teachers and parents want?

If schools assign less homework, it would benefit teachers, parents, and students alike. Teachers who assign large amounts of homework are often unable to do more than spot-check answers. This means that many errors are missed. Teachers who assign less homework will be able to check it thoroughly. In addition, it allows a teacher time to focus on more important things. “I had more time for planning when I wasn't grading thousands of problems a night,” says math teacher Joel Wazac at a middle school in Missouri. “And when a student didn't understand something, instead of a parent trying to puzzle it out, I was there to help them.” The result of assigning fewer math problems: grades went up and the school's standardized math scores are the highest they've ever been. A student who is assigned less homework will live a healthy and happy life. The family can look forward to stress-free, carefree nights and, finally, the teachers can too.

Some schools are already taking steps to improve the issue. For example, Mason-Rice Elementary School in Newton, Massachusetts, has limited homework, keeping to the “10 minute rule.” Raymond Park Middle School in Indianapolis has written a policy instructing teachers to “assign homework only when you feel the assignment is valuable.” The policy also states, “A night off is better than homework which serves no worthwhile purpose.” Others, such as Oak Knoll Elementary School in Menlo Park, California, have considered eliminating homework altogether. If these schools can do it, why can't everyone?

So, my fellow Americans, it's time to stop the insanity. It's time to start a homework revolution.

BrynaJo said...
Dec. 16, 2011 at 7:19 am:
I totally agree! A few nights ago spent 5 HOURS ON ONLY 3 QUESTIONS! Usually I am able to be done with my homework in less than in an hour. And then when you throw sports or other extra circulars it just adds to the stress. I don't think teachers realize how much they push students.

ConstanceContraireThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Mar. 20, 2012 at 4:44 pm :
boy are you going to have a hard time in college 

Tardus227 said...
I COMPLETLY agree. I've worked 4to 8 hour homework nights and its annoying. Imean why give kids so much homework it causes stress? It just ruins our government (It dosent help with Obama being prez.) and childrens helath benifits?

Mar. 20, 2012 at 4:35 pm :
first of all spell correctly and second if all, of you people think that your homework is so hard then it most likley means you dont know the work and it is extra pratice to help you understand and if you still dont get it then talk to the teacher to explain better! you keep talking about less homework but its so annoying because it seems like all of the people that dont know what they are doing want less homework i think this is just an excuse for less work  

schoolgirl13 said...
i agree with this as well, but in a mtter of speaking, i disagree. For kids, sometimes its just too much for us. And for example, I  have to stay after until 5:30 or 6:00 four days a week. Add to a Homework load and its overwhelming. I always wake up exausted. But homework is neccessary as well. Many of us wouldn't be learning without it. We would be rotting our brains with tv or video games. This is an issue that has to be looked at in every aspect.

Grania This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is exceptional. Great work!

Kayroxy101This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I agree 100% I usually get 7hrs of homework. Then plus 7hrs of school. I really don't get any time to break. I wake up at 5 in the morning to get to school and I go to bed usually at midnight or so. It's awful. Something really needs to be done!

Mar. 20, 2012 at 4:37 pm :
try managing your time right and you might get more hours of sleep 

ZetaTheGreek said...
Nov. 6, 2011 at 8:27 am:
An english and a second foreign language certificate is a stardand to get a good job. Plus you need it to study abroad. Students start english lessons at the age of 5-6

Afra- said...
Nov. 5, 2011 at 6:48 am:

I have so much to say for this. I respect your opnions. I do agree with your last few paragraphs of only assigninf useful homework. But, seriously, homework is tehre for you to study what you have learned through the day. So, if you don't have enough homework to do that how will you get good test results?

Also, I am not sure about your statement of Denmark, China Japan and those countries giving less hoemwork, not sure as in if its right or wrong. But in countries such as Japan/China, ... (more »)

Afra- replied...
Nov. 5, 2011 at 6:51 am :
Oh and one more thing I forgot, the main driving force that makes theses asian kids study so hard with "less" homework are their parent's who drill them very hard. Its rough and I don't think they should be so strict, but i do think that having your parents push you to your limits is evry important. Afterall, we are kids, and our parents teach us how to survive, and studying hard and getting good grades is one way to survive WELL int his world.

donb036 said...

There's a few problem with your logic. 1). You say Czech, Japan and Denmark all have higher test scores and less homework, so therefore homework has nothing to do with getting higher test scores. Really? That's like saying Bob wears flip flops every day, and has never gottan cancer, so therefore flip flops prevent cancer. It's an logic fallacy. Just because we have lower tests score then Denmark and happen to give more homework, doesn't mean that the homework doesn't improve test scores. You'... (more »)

SallySunshine replied...
Nov. 5, 2011 at 3:22 pm :
You do realize that this was written years ago, and that some of the statistics and facts have changed. 

skittles(: said...
Im in eighth grade and i only have like 20 min of homework a day from school.........so if u take 3 hours to do your homework, get tutoring!

Crazymonkey replied...
Dec. 2, 2011 at 11:51 pm :
Or maybe u have teachers that know how to do their job. I did standardized testing last year and scored 98% above average. I get all A's and yet...it takes me 4-5 hours to finish my homework. Plus I am not even in 8th grade I am in 7th!

Xella714 said...

Whooo revolution!!!

By the way, read kids right to vote.

TheIntellectualOne said...
I gonna go ahead and be the bold one I STRONGLY disagree, well not strongly but I do believe homework has value not at all worthless as you have said. mainly because it helps you stay on task, as oppose to one who isn't assigned homework will do anything but study in his leisure. in fact homework (in moderate amounts) improves test scores , why do you say doing tedious homework with wrong answers is of no purpose. this is the very moment you, yes you the radical student pick up that textbook and... (more »)

Tcoolgirl said...
I think that we shouldnt even be doing 70, or 80 minutes of homework! I stay home from school alot because of Anxiety and stress attacks, which are 90% caused by too much homework.

RedFeather said...
Nov. 2, 2011 at 7:31 am:

I completely agree! There needs to be a lot less homework being assigned to students. Just yesterday, I had off from school because it was an in-service day, yet I was loaded down with so much fricking homework that I literally spent ALL DAY doing homework! (Got up at 8:30, did reading homework, had lunch, replied to an e-mail, did my science project, went to CCd, had dinner, read a chapter of my history book, did a worksheet on that, and had half an hour before I had to go to bed.) Too ... (more »)

ALennyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 19, 2011 at 12:11 am:
I am an American but recently moved to Australia. When in the US i received a significant ammount of homework every night however here in Australia i barely do any homework. Despite this difference i'm still getting equal results in comparrison to the rest of the world. Doing homework or not doing homework made no difference to my overall results so i don't believe that there's any point in doing homework when the time could be spent on other important activities.