Let Me Keep my Innocnece

“You have to lose your innocence- we’re going to make sure you do by the end of this year.” I’m a graduating freshman from high school, and this is the statement that I have heard on a daily basis. I’m not exaggerating- everywhere I go, it’s people cracking dirty jokes that I don’t understand. While trying to do homework in orchestra, while having a free day in math, I just stood (or sat) dumbfounded while everyone was laughing like crazy. In both situations, people tried to make me “lose my innocence.” I repeated the same statement that I have grown so tired of saying because of the number of times that I have had to say it- “I would like to, if possible, keep my innocence.” And I am known for this innocence. I’m so innocent that I don’t know what “that’s what she said” means- still don’t, hope I never do, and so far, no one’s attempts to explain have reached me. (Don’t explain it to me either.) Although some people claim to be proud of their perverted minds, I told them one thing- an innocent mind can always become perverted at any time, but a perverted mind can never become innocent.
Think of a pink elephant.
Okay, now try to not think of a pink elephant.
It’s hard, isn’t it? When you tell yourself to not think of something, doesn’t that just make us think about it even more? That’s why someone has to concentrate on the good things- and that’s why I know that if I understood the dirty jokes, I would crack them right and left like nobody’s business. But so far, I’ve been spared from doing that. I’ve been able to stand up for myself, to not give in to peer pressure and allow myself to understand these things. I don’t want to understand these things. I enjoy being pure- I may be missing out on something, but ignorance is bliss. A child doesn’t need to understand those things to be happy- and consider me childish, but neither do I. I’ve told everyone that I would like to keep my innocence. As much as people tried to change that, they haven’t been able to. But their efforts still bother me. Their efforts are not completely futile. And in the end, I feel like it’s made me kind of lose a sense of who I am.
I think that this difference in me from other ninth graders should allow me to say this one thing-
Let me keep my innocent mind.

SmirkingSkull said...
It's funny to hear a freshy talking like this. Most of the ones I know are more perverted and "dirty minded" then the upperclassman. Unfortunatly, you will keep hearing these things as you contnue high school. You can't change what others say. You can either learn to understand it (which will happen evetually whether you want it to or not) or continue as you are- innocently bliss but apparently and obviously unhappy with it. If you weren't unhappy, why write this?

CyberLydii said...
May 31, 2012 at 7:42 am
Wait, so you're forcing yourself to be ignorant? You may say it's not ignorance, but it is. You're refusing to learn what things mean.

CyberLydii replied...
May 31, 2012 at 7:44 am
I mean, I'm not saying lose your innocence, I'm just saying that it seems ignorant to even not acknowledge (sp?) what certain things mean.

TerraAnimusPatronus said...
I wish i could have back my Innocence

afterglow said...
I really agree with this and its not bad at all. I like this alot because its so true in today's society that even as young as fourth grade kids are becoming impure in a sense. I am glad you have been able to stand out for so long. Keep it up!

DesertFox94 said...
Jun. 15, 2011 at 12:45 am

What makes you think saying a dirty joke makes one unclean or perverted?

What is your idea of innocent?

nnc97 said...
this is an awesome article. it doesnt make any sense how jus becuz one teen loses it, others are expected to do so also..

WrItEr2010 said...
bravo! this is an awesome article!

ilovedayna said...
you could also be more mature than everyone else... :)

RiverSong said...

Keep your innocence.  I hope to keep what I have left of mine.  Congratulations on being one of the few members of society today who do not place unnecessary, irrelevant and just plain ignorant importance on idiotic, perverted topics.  Good for you!

Well-written, too, by the way. ;-)

~RiverSong

LAXdoubleK said...
I really enjoyed this but please try to spell Innocence" correctly in your title

PK4evr This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
I can spell innocence, but for some reason, my eyes crossed weirdly that day and it came out wrong. (When I just typed innocence again, I typed the n in front of the e again some how by mistake.) I don't know how to get Teen Ink to fix it. I think I should do a piece about how typos can suck some time due to that. Thanks for noticing. I do know how to spell it, though. Always have, always will. Especially after this.

T.R.Trevino said...

I admire you. And your innocence. I only wish I had realized this earlier-like, back in sixth grade.

Don't you listen to anyone else, just keep your innocence, because you'll never get it back once you lose it.

courtneylouise1 said...
i love the way you veiw innocence, i only wish that i was more like you. i think that in your case you truly have things figured out, it is the others that are still searching for anwsers thats why they veiw innocence as a bad thing.they can't fully understand something that they don't have. i enjoyed reading your article, keep writing.

Hawthorn said...
Sometimes you do need to understand whats going on so you know when to conveniently remember somewhere you need to be (Leave before a teacher hears and gets mad)

Lilliterra said...
Feb. 2, 2011 at 1:41 am
Yeah, I totally agree with you. I rarely understand it but when I do I still don't get why they feel the need to make connections between completely unrelated things. I try to stay away from those people. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't survive High School.

Lilliterra replied...
Feb. 2, 2011 at 1:41 am
(I'm homeschooled, partly anyway)

silence-is-loud said...
I wish I were more like you... keeping innocence.... and I love that goal that you have. Very few teens would even think about keeping there innocence, and etc. Peer pressure is something that can really get to me. I'm glad that you are the opposite. I rated you five stars :) and I faved you.

Lizette said...
i totally know where you are coming from...its great to know that i'm not the only one out there whose completly dumbfounded by people and there idiot remarks

rplove013 said...

I think if you are confident in yourself then do not let other people influence you...most people go around saying perverted things, and they have neither experienced it nor made the comment themselves...they heard it from someone who heard it from someone else...

"that's what she said" ..the thing to do is say it then laugh... in my opinion, most kids do not understand what is really being talked about...they just laugh and make jokes because they think it is cool and that others will... (more »)