Social Media | Teen Ink

Social Media

By Veruschka BRONZE, Bangalore, Other
Veruschka BRONZE, Bangalore, Other

Whether or not we repudiate it, our mind is constantly judging. From the miscellaneous patterns we see in day to day life to the way someone is clad, we have unconsciously put things into two categories, in simple terms, good and bad. “Mind is the unlimited reservoir of creativity” is quite prominent, but however tremendous our creativity be, there can only be two polarised categories good and bad , two eternal choices back or front and two disputed options yes or no. Just try to look around you, and in around 3.8 seconds you must have unknowingly classified all the objects or people as good or bad. Primarily, we are obliviously overcritical. As many say “first impression is the last impression “, as the first few seconds you meet someone you have already classified them.  Many people find having a fresh start a stumbling block, whether they change their pain is aggravated by the same countenance reminding them of their old self. Now they could be petulant and sit in a damp corner drowning in their tears and envisioning ‘if only’, the two most anguished words enough to obliterate one’s hope. Or, they could pull out the possession of the forlorn and simply tap on the flamboyantly attractive icon with a white shape carved into it (Instagram) , almost making their lives seem much more jovial and simple than ever, even though what they have chosen is the most loathful and complexed choice, social media. Also known in commoners like my dictionary as the Venus flytrap of life, black hole of concentration or the vacuum or sanity. Over here the person creates a profile, choosing their finest picture with the finest lighting, and then pondering over what new impression they would want to make or basically deciding which kind of person they want to enact as, the savage girl/boy, the goth girl/boy or the sweet girl/boy, whatever. Never believed in magic? Well, these people just created a dimension. A dimension which they can go to with the touch of a  button and be who they want to be. Now don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing so unacceptable of being who you want to be, but these people become who they want to be… for others. They may say its for their contentment, but its really for others, who’s praises of their fake form give them contentment, the malicious type. They basically live through someone else created by themselves,  and forget the truth, who they are and what they like, but what could they do… The judgmental society gave them no choice! They had to search so very deep for contentment through a fresh start that… They got it from others, people who they don’t actually know and people who might be residing anywhere in the vast earth. Happiness comes from within, not from someone else, we humans are not meant to be like the moon who get their light from the sun just to make us feel better about ourselves. We forget what’s the real word and are enraptured in this world of bonds and contacts which break like hydrogen bonds, we become narcissist, a herd of mindless sheep and unrealistic. Then, after hours of scrolling a thought pops into our head, “What did I come here for?” as you gaze into the distance and remember “Oh right I had to call someone, but now its 11pm and too late!”. Time! The definition of reality we and our ancestors have been living with for around a century, time that doesn’t make life feel as though an endless cycle, time that drives our every action and time that makes life breaking and making decisions. Yes, that’s the same time you loose track off in social media. As you proceed to bed, you have got used to an unstable mind and want to do something, a million thoughts flood your head. One of those thoughts are meaningful, “People like me for what I pretend to be… What would they know about the real me? What am I doing in life?”  and that’s the turn in the story. You put down  your utterly useless device and realise your first chance was your real chance, for someone to judge you for the real you. What would you prefer living a lie or facing the truth? What would you prefer people liking you for the real you or people liking you for the fake you? Make up your mind and take your stance. Social media is derailing you from the path of life, its like gravity the only way to stop is to escape it like escaping earth as I say and believe (I made that quote). And that’s your cue to put down the phone. 

This is an extremely essential piece for any teenager or growing child to read, especially for this generation. Being a teen (I am 13 years old) this comes from my personal experience and is a life-changing article.